Retirement Post - Nylarx

Hello fellow MPQers, this is Nylarx speaking. I am a veteran, one that started playing when Spider-Man (Classic) was introduced, and so have experienced the dominance of the 3* age, the introduction of IMHB and the 4* age, as well as the rollout of Silver Surfer and the dawning of the 5* age. I have played faithfully all those days, and currently have all the 3* championed, as well as 34 out of the 48 of all the currently released 4*s champed. Though, despite the 3740 hours I have put into this game, the announcement of the nerf to OML has finally made me decide to quit. 

Let's be honest - we all know how to fight and defeat OML. You kill his allies then wail on him, as he flails around helplessly. He isn't even in the top half of all the 5*s anymore. In fact, even with a 405 OML that is 5/3/3, I still pushed to 900 in Bags to Riches PvP with IM40 and Thoress, and in the hard nodes of The Hulk PvE I used IM40/Thoress/Agent Coulson (who I managed to fully cover, Agent Coulson is loads of fun btw ^^). I only really use OML with Thanos in the easy nodes to blitz through them, which I guess would have contributed to the 'OML is used in 10% of all games' claim. 

Even after the nerf, I would have done fine with the huge stable of 4*s I have champed. It was just when I saw the notice of the OML nerf today, I realised two things:
1) With the advent of the first 5* nerf, nothing is sacred anymore. All the RnG based progression you have gone through can be gone in an instant.
2) What have I been playing for? I have consistently hit top 50 in PvE (sometimes top 10-20 for new 4* releases) and 900 in PvP, and all I have to show for it is my 4* roster. No matter how much I play, I will NEVER, EVER be able to play in the champed 5* league, because I don't wish to spend thousands of dollars on this game (I have spent roughly $150 to $200 in this game.)

I am tired of running in the hamster wheel that D3 calls progression, and I urge everyone that reads my post to take a moment of self-reflection to see whether it is worthwhile for you to continue playing it yourself. I thank my alliance 'Wrecking Crew' for letting me stay with them, and you guys will be sorely missed. 

Nylarx signing off.

TLDR: I played for 2-3 years and I am not going to play anymore and no, you can't have my account :p 

Comments

• Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Nylarx you will be missed and I hope someday you may return. Enjoy the sunshine and fresh air!
  • Nylarx
    Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I completely stopped playing yesterday, and it was refreshing not having to do the four clears per node in PvE and having to push to 900 in the Divine Champions PvP ^^
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Great post.  Thoughtful, well written, reasonable, etc.  Glad i read it before it gets sent off to die in another subforum
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Nylarx said:

1) With the advent of the first 5* nerf, nothing is sacred anymore. All the RnG based progression you have gone through can be gone in an instant.

This is the most chilling part, to me.  If you're lucky enough, and pay/play long enough, to get a well-covered 5* you run the risk of having it nerfed, all for the sin of using them too much.

I'm sorry this has driven you away, Nylarx, but I understand your reasons.  It's just not fun to play knowing that every few weeks there's a chance they're going to neuter a character you like using and have worked hard for.
  • Nylarx
    Thank you for the kind words guys ^^
    Reading around the new forums, apparently there would have been compensation for OML, and if I had read about the compensation along with the OML nerf notice yesterday I maaaaaaaaaay have continued playing. But yeah - I have deleted MPQ on my computer and laptop (I used to take my laptop to work to play during my lunch break ^^;). And...OML was my pride and joy, I was so happy when I was covering him. I don't think I could bear the thought of selling him to get random 5* covers. 

They really should have nerfed OML when he was released if there were going to nerf him at all. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Nylarx said:
    <snip>
    They really should have nerfed OML when he was released if there were going to nerf him at all. 
    But that would have been substantially less profitable for demi/d3!  Think of all the money people spent on buy clubs in late 2015 and early 2016 chasing OML covers.

As you said, it's really hard not to be cynical about this.  devaluing a digital asset that takes hundreds of hours or thousands of dollars to acquire is bad enough.  Doing it after 18 months of player investment is crazy.  And it is the clearest sign yet that no one should spend more money chasing 5*s unless they are prepared to see those characters get nerfed too. 
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    I didn't/don't know you but that's besides the point. It is still unfortunate to see someone so old (I'm on day 1246 personally) leave the game, especially one that they no doubt once enjoyed, be it due to you being a Marvel fan or puzzle fan. Sorry to see you leave and best wishes with whatever game you pick up next.
  • Nylarx
    Maybe if you're a super whale, you get a secret compensation deal on the side? Unlikely, but you never know...

Just a random thought: If you let all the plankton die out, the whales will eventually die out too ^^
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    In some ways, this won't affect me because I've never spent $$$ on the game.  With 5* nerfs, I never will.

It's hard to earn trust with the player base, and I believe this will harm it quite a bit.

I have only 5/1/0 OML, and I kind of feel like quitting.  It was fun to play the game, but it's not fun to get punished for being lucky in the draw.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    I expect many many more of these posts tomorrow
  • Nylarx
    I guess it really depends on how bad the OML nerf is - maybe it wont be too bad. For me though, it was mainly a realisation that MPQ is a chore to do everyday rather than something that is fun to do. 
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Seriously considering selling my 5 stars inc oml 390. Im in the same position as you Nylarx. I have a fair few covers for 5 stars but not enough to fully cover. Not enough iso either.

I have 36/47 4 stars champed and not enough iso to complete the rest. I only ever use oml and he will soon become less usable I assume after the nerf. I could use the iso on all the 5 stars I have sitting there for leveling up the 4 stars I will use. Im saving up cp and ledge tokens after vaulting to try and mitigate the dupes this would create until I need them.

im never going to be in 5 star land. Not anytime soon. I still want to play and could get more benefit from usable characters then ones that just sit there. My 5 stars and sell value below:

OML 5/2/2 – 390 – 68k iso

SS – 4/1/5 – 330 38k iso

Phnx – 5/0/1 – 285 – 16k iso

SM – 1/3/3 – 255 – 2k iso

Hulk 2/3/2 – 255 – 2k

IM 3/1/2 – 255 – 2k

BW 1/3/0 – 255 – 2k
    CA 2/2/1 – 255 – 2k
    BB 2/0/2 – 255 – 2K
    GG – 2/1/1 – 255 – 2K
    DS – 1/0/2 – 255 – 2k

Tha – 1/0/1 – 255 – 2k

140k iso……………………

Oh. ......................Really? Why is the resell amount so low? Isn’t it 2k per cover if you sell a dupe? My god!! They have us over a barrel literally.

Rant aside. I guess I WONT be selling the 5’s. Not for 140k. That’s not enough to champ even 1 4 star.

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope a lot of people quit, and D3 realizes what a terrible mistake they made. Every move they do keeps pushing the goal posts further and further back.

I too have numerous championed 4*s, but they are all basically completely useless, especially in PVP. They will never strike fear into the hearts of the whales with two or more championed 5*s. And now my OML/PHX will be even weaker and easier for those strong players to defeat. So... thanks?
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    D3 doesn't care if you quit, but I'm sure your life will be much better for it.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,671 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know why people feel as if the only way to enjoy this game is to unlock and max level every character. I'm firmly entrenched in the 4* tier. I have around 20 champed. I will NEVER play in the 5* tier. I know this. I can't afford it and the RNG doesn't give me enough covers to get to 5* land. But I now have a ton of playable 4* characters that offer a tremendous amount of play style variety. I pretty much always have a solid boosted 4* to play with in an event. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything just because I can't ever champ my 5* characters. Heck, some of the 5* releases even come with 3* variants, so I'm not even missing out on animations/characters in that regard.

It's okay if you don't play on the 5* tier. I would even argue that it's a more enjoyable game when you don't, because there are more characters in 4* land anyway.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Cool one less whale I need to worry about sniping placement.  Enjoy your freetime.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:
    I don't know why people feel as if the only way to enjoy this game is to unlock and max level every character. I'm firmly entrenched in the 4* tier. I have around 20 champed. I will NEVER play in the 5* tier. I know this. I can't afford it and the RNG doesn't give me enough covers to get to 5* land. But I now have a ton of playable 4* characters that offer a tremendous amount of play style variety. I pretty much always have a solid boosted 4* to play with in an event. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything just because I can't ever champ my 5* characters. Heck, some of the 5* releases even come with 3* variants, so I'm not even missing out on animations/characters in that regard.

It's okay if you don't play on the 5* tier. I would even argue that it's a more enjoyable game when you don't, because there are more characters in 4* land anyway.

That's great for you. But the people that spend countless hours or thousands of dollars just had the rug pulled out from under them. Once you enter 5* land, there is no going back due to scaling.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    You shouldn't enter 5* land (and 5* scaling / MMR) with a single 5* to fight with anyway. 
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Nylarx said:
    Thank you for the kind words guys ^^
    Reading around the new forums, apparently there would have been compensation for OML, and if I had read about the compensation along with the OML nerf notice yesterday I maaaaaaaaaay have continued playing. But yeah - I have deleted MPQ on my computer and laptop (I used to take my laptop to work to play during my lunch break ^^;). And...OML was my pride and joy, I was so happy when I was covering him. I don't think I could bear the thought of selling him to get random 5* covers. 

Actually, they reported to us that they did nerf OML at his release time. OML was not nerfed (this time) because he was overpowered. We all know that other 5 stars are better. He was nerfed because he was used too much, and that affected Demiurge's bottom line.  Anyway Nylarx, you will be missed.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry you're not getting the enjoyment any more but at least it leaves more room for us 4* players ;P

But seriously enjoy whatever you find as your next gaming fix