OML isn't the issue

keitterman
keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I don't have enough covers of OML to use him, but I do vs him frequently. I don't care. Nerf him, don't nerf him, whatever.

The problem isn't imbalanced characters, as the AI is so bad at this game, it doesn't really matter.

The problem is grind-y PvE (Play for two hrs a day to grind 7 nodes, every. single. day.)
The problem is pointless PvP (since the AI is terrible, even a remotely threatening team is overcome with boosts) You can climb fairly high, doesn't matter, you will get knocked down again. Guaranteed.

Nerf who you want boost who you want, that won't make people play your game. Not fixing PvE and PvP, that will cost you players. Many of us are getting pretty tired of it all.

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    The issue is the 5* endgame. They made it 2 tiers over 4*. 1-15-40-70-255? If 5*s started at 155 that would probably fix the scaling and not force everyone to use their strongest 5s every match. I would like to see them do a whole tier nerf and just lower the starting and max levels, but obviously they can't do that
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Straycat wrote:
    The issue is the 5* endgame. They made it 2 tiers over 4*. 1-15-40-70-255? If 5*s started at 155 that would probably fix the scaling and not force everyone to use their strongest 5s every match. I would like to see them do a whole tier nerf and just lower the starting and max levels, but obviously they can't do that

I'm not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand you perspective. Do you regularly attempt to place 1st (or close) in PvP or PvE?

I understand the scaling issue, but it's not a lot better in the non-champion 5* land. 2hrs of repetitive play isn't fun no matter if you choose your team from 3 or 30.

PvP just isn't fun no matter what you do.

There are suggestions to fix both of these issues, they are littered all over the suggestions and feedback area and general discussion. No need to bring them up here. I just wanted to point out that nerfing/buffing champions will do nothing to attract/retain players.
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    He is the issue.. I am so glad D3 decide to nerf him. I am not a 5* player yet but have most of the 4* and I used up around 8 to 10 health packs just to grind a session of PVE or PVP while a friend of mine who got OML as his only 5* almost fully covered don't even need health pack and those slot 2 or 3 characters are only there for the sake of it. OML can easily tank and solo kill most nodes faster than I could with no health pack required. In honesty if I can choose my 5* I would pick OML just based on that 2 facts where speed and reservation of health pack are two major aspect of this game. OML who can go solo on his own is an issue.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    keitterman wrote:
    I don't have enough covers of OML to use him, but I do vs him frequently. I don't care. Nerf him, don't nerf him, whatever.

The problem isn't imbalanced characters, as the AI is so bad at this game, it doesn't really matter.

The problem is grind-y PvE (Play for two hrs a day to grind 7 nodes, every. single. day.)
    The problem is pointless PvP (since the AI is terrible, even a remotely threatening team is overcome with boosts) You can climb fairly high, doesn't matter, you will get knocked down again. Guaranteed.

Nerf who you want boost who you want, that won't make people play your game. Not fixing PvE and PvP, that will cost you players. Many of us are getting pretty tired of it all.

So, you hate PvE and PvP. Sounds like you just hate the game.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Borstock said:
    keitterman wrote:

So, you hate PvE and PvP. Sounds like you just hate the game.
    Hey, DDQ is still fun. Kinda.
  • Dragindeth
    Dragindeth Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Sums it up pretty well for me. The issue isn't characters it's that the game feels stale. 
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    He is the issue.. I am so glad D3 decide to nerf him. I am not a 5* player yet but have most of the 4* and I used up around 8 to 10 health packs just to grind a session of PVE or PVP while a friend of mine who got OML as his only 5* almost fully covered don't even need health pack and those slot 2 or 3 characters are only there for the sake of it. OML can easily tank and solo kill most nodes faster than I could with no health pack required. In honesty if I can choose my 5* I would pick OML just based on that 2 facts where speed and reservation of health pack are two major aspect of this game. OML who can go solo on his own is an issue.
    Not saying you're wrong about your specific situation, but I would love to see your whole roster and your buddy's whole roster so we could have some context.  If you're in 5* land and don't have several 5*s, then OML is necessary to eat up a ton of damage from Level 450 Dark Avengers 4x in a row over 5 tough nodes (exclude 2* essential and 3 easy ones).  I'm sure your buddy would love to have the ability to use tons of non-OML characters the way you do, even if it costs him some health packs.

Additionally, as has been said elsewhere repeatedly, it's just a bad precedent for the devs to set.  Once they nerf OML and BB / Thanos / whoever usage goes to 10%, will they nerf him/her?  Why bother chasing 5*s and building your 5* roster at all?
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Straycat wrote:

I'm not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand you perspective. Do you regularly attempt to place 1st (or close) in PvP or PvE?

I understand the scaling issue, but it's not a lot better in the non-champion 5* land. 2hrs of repetitive play isn't fun no matter if you choose your team from 3 or 30.

PvP just isn't fun no matter what you do.

There are suggestions to fix both of these issues, they are littered all over the suggestions and feedback area and general discussion. No need to bring them up here. I just wanted to point out that nerfing/buffing champions will do nothing to attract/retain players.
    No, I don't try to place close to 1st because it doesn't sound possible or fun. And the frustration of being 11 if I did try would make me lose my mind. They acknowledged that people were playing easy nodes for 1 point a thousand times, if you want to be 1st you need that kind of dedication. I don't want to be one of those "don't play it if you don't enjoy it" people, but you're not really forced to play it for 1st placement. The only thing I feel forced to do is 4 clears since that gives 25 cp, but that is usually enjoyable enough. I do like choosing from my whole roster, but that might be just me.

Personally, Pvp I go for 575, sometimes 900. Never try for 1200. That usually gets me top 100. I might get hit a lot in the last 3 hours, I might shield.
    Pve I go for 4-6 clears, no time limit. That usually gets me top 100, maybe top 50. Full progression and a 3* placement reward is good enough for me, as is the time commitment. I might hit the 4 clears in the first hour, or 8 hours in.

To your point, I don't think buffing characters will do nothing to retain players. The game will feel stale when you play it 2+ hours a day, but this type of game is more about the meta. Character buffs change the meta and it gives us something to look forward to every off season. And if a character becomes useful they might demand resources when they didn't before, that leads to $ for the devs. Win/win.