Why play?

Sorin81
Sorin81 Posts: 542 Critical Contributor
edited April 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
It's been said in another thread that "lots of us seem to have forgotten that we used to play for fun".
This got me thinking. Obviously if the game was not fun on some level we wouldn't be playing.
So what I'm wondering is twofold.
Why did you start playing MTGPQ? and Why are you still playing?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Um.

Good question actually...

I recently came back to this game after having quit some time a few months ago. At the time, I was enraged at wasting a silly amount of money and had just paid for my 3rd duplicate mythic that week. After looking at my bank statements over the previous month's i was horrified at my accumulated sunk cost in this app and swiftly deleted the game.

Really I'm a bit of an idiot for re-downloading it again but when Google Chrome auto-filled me to this forum one day I was curious to see the updates incase anything had improved.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    The game itself is still pretty fun. I also have an alt account that I like playing because I enjoyed the initial feel of getting new cards and leveling up and beating bosses in story mode so much in the beginning.
  • Zubiti
    Zubiti Posts: 11
    I started playing because MTG. I don't have any paper cards anymore and still enjoy the strategy. Magic Duels wasn't all that intriguing too me.

Why do I still play? Good question...I am a collector by heart so I still want to get the cards and PWs that I do not have. Been playing for the better part of a year so I have all the PWs (save T2) and quite a few rares/mythics. The coalition team I am apart of is a great community with options to move around and compete at different levels. I don't care for the recent update, jewels were a decent idea but the events are getting stale. Pulling dupes all the time is annoying, and trust me...I get that the more cards you have, the more dupes you'll get. Wish there was a better system for converting them or maybe even trading them. Although it has become a "hoping for the best and expecting the worst" sort of thing for me.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    the game at its core is still fun. I enjoy the gameplay quite a lot, and the thrill of opening packs never goes away, even if its always dupes. I love this game and I play it because I enjoy it. Not to mention the amazing community surrounding it.

And I'd started playing because I was curious, then I found that I loved the game.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    I love card based games like MTG, Hex, Heart / ESO Legends... but I can't stand PvP. Too much stress and I don't have the nerve for it. (Hex TCG is by far the best experience for PVE if you haven't tried it).

However, MTG PQ does something special, it's basically a PvE game but we compete with each other's decks and call it PvP. I'd consider it a hybrid. It allows me to avoid PvP while still participating in the events. Combine this with what is likely the top IP for card games (Magic) ingeniously blended with Puzzle quest mechanics (really impressed here).
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    That's a really good question, and one that I'm asking myself more and more, too.

I started playing because I liked Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords and Magic: the Gathering obviously, playing for more than 20 years.

Like many others, especially those with MTG background, I love to collect stuff and build cool decks. The beginning of this game was good. You could buy packs with runes, so you could go at your own pace. You wanted more cards? Play more.

You alsos didn't have boring nor counter-intuitive objectives, having to restrain yourself heavily.

I really hate the direction this game is taking. The insane objectives do not test your deckbuilding skill, just your willpower and pain tolerance, how much punishment you can take for mostly likely a fraction of a dupe.

I can't even use my cool new (not that I got any for a while now) cards, because we're always pitted against monster decks.

We're hardwired to try to reach perfection, so we'll still try to get those inane 5 vehicles objectives, but did we have fun? Not at all.

• Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    For me it was both Puzzle Quest AND MtG reasons.

I always loved the Puzzle Quest series and played all of them that were offered for the Nintendo DS and then MtG I tried to get into but as a early 20's trying to afford life and then late 20's affording rent, I couldn't "buy" into it as much?

So after getting Puzzle Quest II for my tablet I saw MtG Puzzle Quest and thought, great! A perfect marriage of two games I love! And like Talisman: The Digital Edition, I could avoid worrying about setup and losing pieces/cards, etc.!

As frustrating as the voluminous cascades from the AI can get, I still enjoy this game because of the leveling up of the planeswalkers and the different abilities and then getting new cards and seeing if I can update any decks with them.

Now, I will say, I have a much better time, now that I can properly afford to buy stuff, now and then (as I've said, before, I'm no "whale" but I will buy Mythical packs and/or Planeswalkers if they look enticing enough) but overall I still just to an occasional quick battle to test a new deck or even try out a new card. If I stopped spending money, now, I would probably still play this game for a while longer.

tl:dr: Since this game marries two games I enjoyed, before, I like it now and will probably keep playing it even if I stopped spending money. :smile:
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    I was super excited by a game that combines the strategy of MtG and the endorphin rush of match 3 games. 

I started playing within the first week of release. I stopped playing during BFZ because it was boring (looking back, it was lack of synergy because of too few ingest cards in my collection). 

Then I made a coalition and enjoyed the challenge of coordinating with successful teams. 

I keep playing because it IS a fun game and I enjoy the community in various slacks, the forums, and Reddit. 

I hope that this game will weather the storm.
  • DSidey
    DSidey Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I don't play this game anymore. As one who's dropped heavy amounts of $ into it it took me a while to admit it was time to be done playing. The difference between how WoC listens to players and D3 listen is mind numbingly sad to me.