Forced into hoarding LT and CP until something changes

VoltaicDuke
VoltaicDuke Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
The introduction of vaulting and only having a select 12 4 star characters in rotation has forced me to hoard all my LT and CP - there is nothing much to gain now.

I have 11 out of 12 current 4 stars fully covered with Coulson at 7 covers. I was able to get 4 of the fully covered ones champed last month (Blade, Luke Cage, Peggy, Wasp). If I do dip into my LT/CP stash, it would only be for the 4/12 chance to gain more champion levels and the 1/12 chance to cover Coulson. 7/12 of the time I will get a cover I cannot use - not great odds! Things will get better once Danny Rand rotates in and Peggy leaves but not by much. I basically will be focused on championing the rest of the current characters as fast as I can (about one a week). Once I catch up in about ~2 months, I guess everything will go into champion levels.

It would be great if we could have some better way to spend LT/CP! Vintage heroic store is definitely not the answer. For now, I will keep trying to place in PVE for vaulted 4 stars but most of the rewards have been centered on those same 12 current 4 star characters....

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think if you read the various threads on vaulting you will find many have come to the same realizations.
  • VoltaicDuke
    Read most of them. But this happened a lot sooner than you would have thought. In the space of a month I hit a wall. Having PVE rewards centered on new characters sure does not help.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, look on the bright side. They add new 4-stars so often you won't have to hoard for long.
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    If it makes you feel any better, even before the change older players were forced into hoarding as the only way to jump past 5* classics diultion icon_rolleyes.gif
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Read most of them. But this happened a lot sooner than you would have thought. In the space of a month I hit a wall. Having PVE rewards centered on new characters sure does not help.

I'm in almost exactly the same spot. I've champed a few more of the current 12 than you have, but my waste rate is still pretty high.

I went from having almost all of those 12 under-covered to almost all of them either max covered or 12/13 and regularly pulling unusable covers.

When vaulting first happened it was great for me, almost every pull was a usable cover, but it really didn't last long.

Edit: As an example, I now have Riri at level 277 after championing her last week. I've literally never used her since her release week.
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Unless you are a 2*/early 3* and are opening tokens you will have cover waste. If you average 1 or more Legend token per day you will earn covers faster than they get released. This puts you ISO limited. This was the case before 4*s were vaulted you just hit the wall sooner. Vaulting has upset a lot of people but the biggest blocker to progression is ISO and has been for as long as I can remember.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I'm actually surprised that there were so many hoard busters that posted around 5* hawkeye's release. The decision to hoard until you have several million ISO seemed like the best course of action.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have all 4*s championed except the following:
    Name Covers
    Blade 11
    Riri 9
    Coulson 9
    Cap Marv 8
    Mordo 7
    IF 2

I open up LTs as much as possible in hopes of pulling another BH of C5p to bring him to 13 covers (he's now at 4/4/4, the best possible configuration for trying to champion). And then once I get his 14th cover, I'll champion him up to 451 and hope for the best.

It's nice, because I can win him as a bonus cover for either latest or classic LTs.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless you are a 2*/early 3* and are opening tokens you will have cover waste. If you average 1 or more Legend token per day you will earn covers faster than they get released. This puts you ISO limited. This was the case before 4*s were vaulted you just hit the wall sooner. Vaulting has upset a lot of people but the biggest blocker to progression is ISO and has been for as long as I can remember.

One of the benefits of vaulting is this really isn't true anymore or is at least less true. I'm up to 13 4* champions and I've only sold a whopping total of 9 4* covers. With patience and good planning it is possible avoid cover waste, but it also means championing the characters you get instead of the ones you want. I just finished a championing streak where I was in an ISO rush trying not to loose any covers that came from the massive influx of new character covers since bonus heroes launched. I was able to save all but like 1 or 2. In order to do so I did temporarily gut my 2* farm selling off champed 2*s for ISO. Now that all my covers are applied I'm hibernating in a horde state building my farm and ISO bank back up before I start knocking down the LT door again.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in a similarly shaped boat. The odds of me pulling a useful cover are now below 1/3. So I've just started saving my CP. Figure I'll save up to 720 and just buy a 5 star.png cover. Feels like kind of a waste.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I was going to make a larger, math fueled post about the stage in the game you and I are both in where you're well ahead of the release curve and don't have enough CP outlets.

I currently have Peggy, Wasp and Spider-Woman all champed who are the next three out. I only need one cover for Gwenpool and Luke, who are the next two out after that. I also have the next two after those two champed (Medusa and Carol). I'm saving up CP until the first three leave (projected to be 6/1/17) and if I stumble upon those covers for Gwenpool and Luke I won't be touching my CP until October. That's nuts.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hit a wall day one of vaulting. I just accepted it was a wall and started tossing the older characters already in the current 12 and completely ignoring any character not in the current 12.

Which might be the "best" way to play (outside of complete hoarding), but it's also the "worst" way to feel while playing.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I did feel the same way as you when Vaulting came out. I blew my huge hoard before vaulting though. After Vaulting I had 4/12 of the characters championed so was pulling lots of dupes. I needed 5* covers so had to keep selling off them.

Now all I have to champ is Agent Venom, Mordo, and Spider Woman so you are able to make some progression but requires lots of play.

Just save token for when you get enough ISO to champ one character and do that. Once you have a few more champed you can start to open and then champ whoever you have most covers for.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    For some contrast in this thread, I have not hit a 4* cover wall nor am I close to it. My only wall is ISO, which is why I hoard LT (x63) and only spend CP (x1080) when I need someone new to level up. If you're interested, here's my status on the latest 12 in Classics:

CHAMPED - Peggy
    5 Covers - Wasp
    8 Covers - Spider-Woman
    9 Covers - Cage
    6 Covers - Gwenpool
    6 Covers - Blade
    4 Covers - Venom
    9 Covers - Medusa
    6 Covers - Carol
    4 Covers - Riri
    6 Covers - Mordo
    5 Covers - Coulson

The irony is that I only got 5 covers for Wasp but 9 for Medusa, who is much newer. I'm fortunate though to have acquired very few covers for Venom and Riri.
  • VoltaicDuke
    If you play hard, you can champ a 4 star in about a week - yes ISO is limited but it's there if you work for it. The issue here is that the new system not only extremely narrows down the availability, it also pretty much forces you to champ all current characters to avoid waste. I am not exactly looking forward to champing Agent Venom or Mordo but what are you going to do? They will at least be useful in DDQ crash and when they get boosted.

If the system is designed to get folks quicker access to new characters, the system is working too well. It happens fast and once you get them all you are done.

I am not exactly sold on the whole hoarding for 5 stars but I guess that I might be heading down that path eventually.

I am relatively new here - just day 183. I champed all the 3 stars except Hawguy (fully covered though) and was making very even progress on all the 4 stars until the vaulting happened. That progress has all but stopped except for the occasional bonus character and if they ever highlight older characters in PVE.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have Peggy Fully Covered will soon Champ Spider Woman (3 Covers in queue) and have 3 (Blade, Wasp and Cage) at 12 Covers

of the 10 Characters currently in not named Peggy Carter or Spider Woman I have 5 maxed powers (Including a 1/5/1 Mordo and a 5/4/3 Cage)
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    ... [vaulting] pretty much forces you to champ all current characters to avoid waste. I am not exactly looking forward to champing Agent Venom or Mordo but what are you going to do?
    Waste the covers. If you hate playing those characters, let them go.
    At some point, you're going to need an unlimited budget to maximize the use of every cover pull.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    i remember somebody saying the devs didn't like us hoarding as a strategy. If that's true, they sure are fail.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not too bothered by cover waste. The ISO adds up and as long as I can champ them when I like it's all good. Especially since it's not super viable to expect too many champ levels on 4's once vaulted.

Issue I seem to have is getting the covers to start with to even get to champ them.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    The system is making me hoard but then I was already hoarding with a goal to champion them all. Now I don't have that goal (unless I am deep in 5* territory Electra or Venom are not getting iso). So the next realistic thing is to get the latest 12 done.

It takes about 7-10 days (depends on the events) to get ISO for one. This is above the release ratio so all good there. With Peggy, Wasp, Spider-Woman, Cage and Carol already done I am looking the other without much excitment (well Medusa and Coulson are great but not maxed covered).

So i keep hoarding the Latest token for future. And I will open an odd classic if the pvp/pve progression for a given period doesn't have a cover for me. I will be a similar process to what happened before vaulting but my hand seems pushed more in terms of target selection. Plus I need to waste the covers I get from progression if they happen to be vaulted (I have all the non-latest championed or max covered). It is 1k iso and it used to be the next target for championing. This is what I dislike the most. I often stop the PvP at 850 to avoid the pain of selling the cover (silly, i know, as I waste iso but it's a psychological barrier).