The negative effect of five stars on pvp suggested fix

Dreck
Dreck Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
As a four start player, being double or tipple hit in the time it takes to do a single match is destroying any enjoyment in the game. What is the point of playing in a ranked match when a single group will always dominate. There is a reason sporting events have different leagues and weight classes. The difference in power between five and four stars teams are much greater than than difference between four and three star teams.

I can see at least part of the rational for breaking MMR so they can even see four star teams to match against, when the number of five start players was lower, but there are plenty of them now and this gap needs to widen. The impact of the defense team needs to lessen considerably as well. The points lost by the defending teams should be decreased significantly when MMR was broken to allow the match.

This would allow the five start teams to actually find match, and allow the four star teams to make some progress.

There have been changes made recently to prevent these same teams from farming points in PVE, its time to fix PVP as well.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am a junior fivestar player and I see pretty much only other dual fivestar teams in PvP. Fourstar teams are very rare. When I do stumble across a fourstar team there's an excellent chance I'll attack it though, so I can absolutely understand why it feels like you are constantly attacked. But really, fivestar players mostly fight other fivestar players. We aren't really preying on lower level rosters as some seem to Think.
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I don't think bracketing is going to fix this.

I think D3 needs to figure out that this game is never going to be in eSports, so the only purpose of PvP is for the active player to have enjoy the experience. This means finding a way to have people participate while keeping some sort of leader board while lessening the impact of losses. There's a lot of ways to do that: limit the number of times you can be attacked, reduce/remove the loss of points, etc. The question is, why don't they?

It's possible that their figures show that there's a high amount of HP spent on shields. At the end of the day, money makes the world go 'round. If that's the case, having you get trounced by five guys that are higher level than you is the intended experience to encourage you to buy shields.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Simplest solution to any of this stuff seems to be two scores in pvp, one for your placement rewards and one for progression rewards and that second one not reducing when attacked, only when you lose games yourself.

They would need to rebalance the scores needed for the various progression rewards but this should increase the amount of people that take part in pvp as they would know they could get some decent rewards if they stick at it rather than just hitting a lower threshold and giving up.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would hopefully also increase the number of Players who are actually playing during the whole event, and not just climbing in the last few hours, putting more points into the system as a whole. PvP is really frustrating to me, because I mostly just want to play, but I don't want to be hitting people too far below me, and it very quickly becomes difficult to find anyone worth more than 30 for most of the duration of the event.
  • Dreck
    Dreck Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    The new char events just make the difference even more apparent. Any 5 star Thanos just destroys all other lower teams.

Games need to be winnable to be enjoyable, even if its just feels like its winnable. Being completely destroyed by five star teams negates this. Being hit 4-5 times in a 3 min hop by the same person is demoralizing, you can't even whale in retaliation, your team is just going to die before you can collect the ap.

I really wish the goals for four star teams were stated better, is the goal to only be to hit 900-1000? Is the goal only to get higher scores while coordinating out side of the game? If you can't place top 5, there is never going to be way to surpass this, it just gets worse with time.

PVE turned into a 2 hour daily grind, and now pvp is pointless. Guess the only way to win is to not play at all.