The Hulk Story Event - Final Mission Reward (3/29/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've updated a mission reward in the upcoming The Hulk Story event!

Towards the end of the event, there is a mission that gives a The Hulk (Indestructible) Thunderous Clap cover. It has now been updated so that the reward gives out a random The Hulk (Indestructible) cover instead.

Comments

• Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Thanks for the heads up. Also enjoying the variety opportunity for covers being added to various events.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Hulk is already championed but I'm sure there will be some players for whom this means something

(it did the first time I played the event after all)
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for keeping this week's new RNG cordoned off to a reward that is irrelevant to most players. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • KFloppy
    KFloppy Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    I still remembered the 2nd time I played this event, the Hulk cover was useless because I got 5 already, and yet I have no 3* that are 13 covers yet. So yayy for the change!
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    There is no trying to figure out what will be given. Those with five greens will get a green. Those with five reds will get a red. That is what this game enjoys doing. Between my 8th Cage black, 5th Widow green, 9th Torch green, 5th Khan yellow, I have come to the conclusion that this is fact.

At least I can use command points since the four stars in vaults suck and I will get something I actually want.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    StarScream wrote:
    There is no trying to figure out what will be given. Those with five greens will get a green. Those with five reds will get a red. That is what this game enjoys doing. Between my 8th Cage black, 5th Widow green, 9th Torch green, 5th Khan yellow, I have come to the conclusion that this is fact.

At least I can use command points since the four stars in vaults suck and I will get something I actually want.

I think this is programmed into this games RNGesus code. icon_cry.gif I also spent my CP to fully cover my Hawkey3.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh yay, another Hulk cover. Let's add more health to Hulk so that the stronger Hulk gets, the weaker Hulk gets.
    What a broken character. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu wrote:
    Oh yay, another Hulk cover. Let's add more health to Hulk so that the stronger Hulk gets, the weaker Hulk gets.
    What a broken character. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gif right?
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Is there TRULY no kind of coding that says

*** if player has X amount of Y color, give X color instead *** ?

Or, whatever is necessary so that these covers end up being the color of THE LEAST had, by the player? Is that really rocket science?
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    This doesn't affect me anymore, but is a nice change. It will help those building Hulk to not get too many of one color too fast and then end up with dead draws. I don't remember it that much, but I think I had to buy one Hulk cover back when championing was first implemented and I had a green cover floating around. By that time I had already played that event like three times.
    I think this was tried already in the Amadeus, Howard, and Coulson events, so it would be no surprise if it's also applied to the Sentry and Ant-man events.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Awesome change! Hopefully this will apply to Prodigal Sun too?
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    StarScream wrote:
    They've been amazingly successful in designing a system that actively encourages players NOT to buy tokens.

Truth this. I can only say that if I'm spending something that translates into actual dollars I expect to know that I'm getting my money's worth. Every time I've pulled a 2* from 100 HP I reflect "never again."

HP is for rostering, and to be purchased when you simply can't see discarding new hero covers. VIP is for skipping ads in the neverending pursuit of ISO hits.

--Khanwulf
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Clearly, coding a reward you need beyond their capabilities. Selling useless covers and player base frustration must be the " healthy way to play the game" they're aiming for.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that I have a 33% chance of gaining a cover I cannot use for my 4/5/1 dupe, will CS be allowed to gift me a replacement of a different color when I pull that red? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Khanwulf wrote:
    StarScream wrote:
    They've been amazingly successful in designing a system that actively encourages players NOT to buy tokens.

Truth this. I can only say that if I'm spending something that translates into actual dollars I expect to know that I'm getting my money's worth. Every time I've pulled a 2* from 100 HP I reflect "never again."

HP is for rostering, and to be purchased when you simply can't see discarding new hero covers. VIP is for skipping ads in the neverending pursuit of ISO hits.

--Khanwulf
    I have increased my purchase of Daily Deals from various vaults lately as it is one of the few ways you can get covers for characters that aren't in tokens. But I have all the roster slots I need, so HP is not an issue for me.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:

Or, whatever is necessary so that these covers end up being the color of THE LEAST had, by the player? Is that really rocket science?

Sooooo much this. Let's just have colorless, or fill in a color the player doesn't have. It's well past time!
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Sooooo much this. Let's just have colorless, or fill in a color the player doesn't have. It's well past time!

I get the desire for acquiring useful things, but not getting what you want isn't the capital sin that the forums make it out to be.

Maybe, just maybe, in a game designed on randomly acquiring materials to collect to advance, it's okay to get covers you can't use sometimes. There may be places to tweak and improve the system. In fact, I'm certain there are. But it isn't some evil that needs to be rectified.
  • _mantisx_
    _mantisx_ Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Thank you for this great news update. This improves the game for anyone who has not already made hulk a champion or who wants to build another one. More little things like this could go a long way.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

I get the desire for acquiring useful things, but not getting what you want isn't the capital sin that the forums make it out to be.

Maybe, just maybe, in a game designed on randomly acquiring materials to collect to advance, it's okay to get covers you can't use sometimes. There may be places to tweak and improve the system. In fact, I'm certain there are. But it isn't some evil that needs to be rectified.

I agree with this. I'd ask them to make the rewards for selling covers (especially 4 and 5 star covers) more worthwhile well before I'd ask them to start implementing colorless covers. The RNG nature of building characters isn't some horrible thing like it's made out to be, but the sting of getting a useless cover would hurt less if the value you got from selling it was more helpful to overall roster building.