Heroic Venom PvE Feedback Thread

Options
NorthernPolarity
NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I'll try to do one of these for each event. Post your feedback for the event here!
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I was on the fence between terrible an meh - I voted terrible, mainly because scaling was particularly bad this time and progression awards were seriously screwed up. I'm so, so tired of events without subs; they're incredibly repetitious and dull, and have really weak prize payouts. Running two in a row (three if you count heroic Venom as two events) probably made me hate this one more than I would have otherwise.
  • Fix the freaking scaling and rubber-banding.

Progression only got as high as about 25000 or so both times, which means it fell far short of most of the possible awards.

Something with sub-events like Simulator, The Hunt, Thick As Thieves, The Brotherhood, etc., is much better than this because it gives you something to shoot for in the short-term while still trying to accomplish a long-term goal.
  • I voted OK, this event was hard, and was intended to be so. I like a challenge every now and again and pulled many many Shield Bro's out of these events so I can't say I hated it.

That being said, could go for a nice calm and relaxing pve for the next one icon_razz.gif
  • I was okay with it. The roster was super-limited, but I still placed in the top 50 in my bracket on Hard, so whatever. icon_e_smile.gif Was a great source of ISO.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GCSobaer wrote:
    I was okay with it. The roster was super-limited, but I still placed in the top 50 in my bracket on Hard, so whatever. icon_e_smile.gif Was a great source of ISO.
    That's one of my main complaints! Compared to the sub-event types of PvE the rewards sucked. Hell, even compared to the 'new missions each day' type.
  • Event was ok. Limited rosters are hard cause if you don't have the right characters.....you're stuck on the outside looking in.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Fix the freaking scaling and rubber-banding.

Hasn't this been ask for a zillion times?
  • It was okay. I always find a way to adapt and game the system. I pretty much only played 3 missions, out of the 15(?). If this is what devs intended to be optimal, then I dunno. What's worse is that it was essentially the same fight (yelena+2 goons).

Limited roster meant i only used 1 team to farm (m.Storm/lvl15 HT/lvl6 Bagman). So it was pretty boring. I had a high lvl Psylocke, but she was pretty useless for the most part.

People complained about Daken but I didn't even touch those missions. First round I did for completionists sake, but it wasn't worth it.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not really sure how to vote for this one so I'll try to write down my full thoughts and you guys can advise on what that means.

Pros:
    Don't have to grind every day in order to place well.
    Limited roster makes for interesting combinations.

Cons:
    Tedious fights - goons feeding Venom, goons placing impossible to get to CDs, Daken, Bullseye, etc.,etc.,etc.
    Scaling for rd. 2 got kind of out of hand. Made it so I could only feasibly play the HT missions in deadly.
    Limited rosters were badly picked (maybe just for me?). Outside of maxed Wolvie and mStorm, I had to choose between 1/1/1 HT, 1/1/1 BP, and 3/1/1 Psylocke (or putting iso into Hawkeye, no thanks). So, it was basically HT (with the big buff he's helpful), Wolvie, and Storm every battle - this is not the fun kind of diversity they were hoping for.
    Rubberbanding (and scaling perhaps more importantly) encouraged everyone to play as little as possible (liking this game, it's also a con).
    Prologue healing between almost every mission when playing deadly was SO tedious.

So, I kind of enjoyed not having to grind for a couple hours every day, but the missions I did play were super boring and repetitive (since I couldn't change my team up AT ALL). I quickly realized I could just play the 3 HT missions a couple times a day and place top 10/20 pretty easily so that's what I did.

Basically, I want to encourage the devs to create these TYPE of events with limited rosters, or some way to force you to change up who you usually play with (like Simulator), but this specific version was AWFUL. There was really nothing fun about it at all. Also, the rewards being the same each time, down to progression rewards that were unattainable in round 1 and same covers in alliance rewards for each thing was very disappointing (really wanted to see Lazy Thor like everyone else too).
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought that this event was really bad. Scaling made it so that you were discouraged from grinding the missions because you didn't want to scale the missions up. Rubberbanding make it so that there was no incentive to play the missions aside from the very last day. The lack of subs meant that there wasnt even a point to do the missions once a day to get the first completion bonus. This entire event just encouraged you to spend as little time playing as possible in order to maximize efficiency, which is just really silly imo.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I voted meh. While I didn't have a particularly difficult time with the event, I still found it slightly annoying. Moving Psylocke up to 105 really helped me out on most missions. I found the character limitations to be quite awful and rotated 4 characters pretty much the entire time. (Psy, BP, HT, and Wolverine)

Once you made one pass through all of the missions, you were able to focus on ones that are the easiest to you. I kept hitting the Yelena and goon battles as they yielded the most points. The only mission I never beat was the moonstone one because the points were always low.

I thought that the recycled rewards for round 2 were pretty lame. Yes I'm happy that my cap is now cover maxed, but I was hoping for a different set of rewards.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted terrible.

- Scaling is still an issue. I got hit hard with it during the first round, and while my levels in the second round were more reasonable, by that point I didn't want to play in fear of increasing the levels again. (Anything that makes me want to not play the game is not a good thing.)

- Related to scaling: there is still a lack of incentive to actually fight those tough battles. Rewards should scale related to difficulty.

- Limited rosters can be fun, but not when so many of the characters compete for colors.

- Unreachable progression rewards.
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Voted meh too. I found myself more glad that I wouldn't have to grind it again tomorrow, than I was happy with the rewards. Scaling wasn't as horrible for me as it used to be before, there were however some serious downsides, most of which have been mentioned already. One thing that needs fixing besides progression rewards, scaling and rubberbanding impact is the decisive difference in points between the nodes requiring a character (essentials) and the rest. This was another tourney where you could make it to the top positions only by grinding the essentials while leaving the other nodes untouched. I would prefer more equality, as I was fed up beyond my limits with fighting the same Yelena-goons config over and over again, which I needed to do in order to score well.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options

This entire event just encouraged you to spend as little time playing as possible in order to maximize efficiency, which is just really silly imo.

I voted terrible. Just because the rewards were decent it did not make up for an event that was extremely tedious and unfun with almost zero replayability The main problem was the lack of a tank character or damage mitigator. BP was the only available character with a high HP total and unless you already had the covers for him, you weren't going to be improving him much through the event. This left me with an L~75 Psylocke 3/5/5, an L~130 3/1/1 HT, an L50 IM35 5/5/3, and an L35 M.Storm 5/5/3. Wolverine was the only available 2* (worth mentioning) but during my 2* transition I leveled Thor instead so he wasn't usable for me. I don't think you could even have a rainbow roster unless you used Bagman. Side note: It is absolutely pathetic of the developers and the d3 team to openly make fun of how terrible Bagman is on the forums and then force us to use him in an event. Seriously, either fix the character or remove him entirely. I think this upset me more than anything else.

The average level of my enemies was about 70, which sounds reasonable, but in actuality it meant I could literally only do about 5 total nodes per day before I ran out of health packs. HT tanked just about every color for my team because of his level which meant he was getting damaged for around 25-50% of his health pool (~4400hp max ) per match. Without HT I didn't have a damage dealer that could do jack squat so I was forced to make sure he was at near max health before every fight.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently to make my experience more enjoyable besides being lucky enough to have a large amount of BP covers. I considered leveling Psylocke, but her blue is nearly worthless ("Hurray, another 15 unusable purple AP" or, "Hey look, I can recast bewilder again!"), and her red was much worse than HTs.

I think next time one of these events comes along it would make sense to have a powered up character from each power level (not named Bagman). Even without many covers, it would have been nice to have another high level character to take some hits for HT.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I did learn something semi-valuable in that bagman can use switcharoo to neutralize 4 goon tiles if you survive long enough to get 18 purple. Also, my 85 hawkeye earned his keep, though was still less useful than my 31 mstorm, who shared colors with my fairly useless 1/1/1 ht.

Still, never again devs, never again.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The scaling allowed me to go from not quite maxed out 1* roster to the late stages of a 1* to 2* transition with 5 Lazy Cap covers so I was happy overall. Well, I did buy $50 of HP to buy some covers for my 2* roster, but I still would have come out of this one well ahead of where I would have before.

That said, progression rewards are a bone of contention with me. They need to compress the levels down to something reasonable.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I thought it was just ok. I really do like limited rosters...this is probably the only event I'll ever run MStorm + BP for those crazy amounts of strike tiles with Battleplan, but seeing that synergy between the couple is pretty sweet.

Not needing to play very much is also something I find to be nice with the occasional PvE. I played maybe 5 hours the entire event? Good enough for a truckload of Cap covers and a ton of HP (not even counting the SHIELD-bonus.) It's not something I'd want to see every PvE turn into, but if every 3rd PvE is a 'lazy' PvE, then I'd be completely fine with that.

The scaling was pretty good for me...I think the highest mission was in the 120s or so? I only saw marginal increases from the beginning of the event...I think my first mission on Deadly started in the low 50s and ended at 80ish. Was able to do all of the event with a lvl 70 BP, 40ish HT, and 50 M Storm, which I figure most any mid-level player could achieve. Bumped up BP/HT a couple of levels for the final push to make it go quicker, though.
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    Options
    I voted "Okay" Tournament was hard, but there were tons of prizes handed out. I can't recall ever cover-maxing a new character so fast, 3-star or otherwise.

I never experienced the "scaling to 400" everyone complained was going to happen. I think I saw maybe 5-10 level creep on a few levels, so that seemed like an overreaction by the playerbase. We've yet to see the new lvl400 caps in effect in an event where healing at the end of a fight is possible, though.

I didn't mind that there were a few fights that were brutal. Adding goons to fuel an enemy cover isn't new, and is always a pain, but I think it's one of the few ways they can really differentiate most of these fights.

Toughest part for me was really the limited roster. I ended up using mostly a 85 Wolvie, a 65-ish BP, and a 1/1/1 HT. I had all the other toons (except M35 or bag-man), but never really found any synergy that worked. It was kinda fun trying to rethink and reconsider abilities on characters I never use to see if I could good pairings. I don't mind being forced to do that every once in a while. Otherwise, I really do find myself running the same team over and over and over and over again.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I voted meh. I didn't hate the event. But identical rewards between the 1st and 2nd round, coupled with unobtainable progression rewards again kept me from voting okay.
  • NotYou13
    NotYou13 Posts: 104
    Options
    I was really not a fan at all.

* The combination of scaling and rubberbanding rewards people for playing as little as possible while harshly penalizing those who play more. If you fight through 5-6 times (we'll just say once per reset), you can end up with the same points as someone who only did each run a couple times, but your fights will be significantly harder than that other person.
    * The character limitations were far too restricting.