Future Characters

Options
MacGuffin
MacGuffin Posts: 4
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Anyone have a wish for future characters to be introduced? These are mine ...

1. Taskmaster (classic)
2. Super-Skrull
3. Morbius
4. Cable
5. Domino

I'm surprised Cable and Domino aren't in the game yet. Also Taskmaster, Super-Skrull and Morbius the Living Vampire are faves of mine and I feel like their special powers could potentially translate into interesting gameplay.

Comments

• Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MPQ does a poll from time to time for new characters.

Over the past year a lot of the characters that were on my wishlist have found their way into the game.

Since you only have 2 posts at this time, you might not be aware of this:

There will likely be (almost) no new X-Men added to the game due to the media rights for these characters being with Fox.
    Most new characters will coincide with Marvel Cinematic Universe or TV show releases.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    the movie rights to fantasic 4 (which takes out Super Skrull) and X-Men (which takes out Cable and Domino) are owned by Fox

Morbius might be intriguing, but Bl4de already sucks our blood (Red AP)
  • pmoney82
    pmoney82 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Is it just me or has the occasional 'new character poll' changed from being open-ended to "select x out of x options"? I seem to remember a time where it just asked, 'what new characters would you like to see in the game'. I know in one survey over a year ago, i recommended Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider and classic cyclops and they all showed up within a few months (not that i'm taking credit for these characters, just saying)! I know the last two surveys i did were 'choose one of the following variant characters', and 'choose one Guardian of the Galaxy'.

I guess it's nice to be able to provide some input either way, but it def takes away some of the surprise and excitement of who might get released in the future when you know it's just going to be one selection out of a small field.

What i'd really like to see is more tie-in with the comics (especially mid to late 90's!) and not just a direct focus on movies and tv show characters.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MacGuffin wrote:
    Anyone have a wish for future characters to be introduced? These are mine ...

1. Taskmaster (classic)
    2. Super-Skrull
    3. Morbius
    4. Cable
    5. Domino

I'm surprised Cable and Domino aren't in the game yet. Also Taskmaster, Super-Skrull and Morbius the Living Vampire are faves of mine and I feel like their special powers could potentially translate into interesting gameplay.

We have a Morbius....his name is icon_blade.png
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    still waiting for sub zero.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Everyone keeps posting that MPQ isn't allowed to use mutants becasue of a Marvel ban on Fox movie character. Please explain to me why another Marvel game is offering Rogue right now and just finished up offering Psylocke. Does MPQ have to pay per character? If so, is the blame on them for being cheap and only buying the salvage bin heroes?

With the amount of money I see spent on this game, I'm calling D3 out to "purchase" a character we all want. Give us a survey of the most wanted and buy one please. While many would call for Nightcrawler, Angel or Gambit, I would love to see a bada%^ Doom or Magneto
  • MacGuffin
    MacGuffin Posts: 4
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's unfortunate we can't have more characters because of all this. It's still my 'wish' to have those characters in game even if we won't actually get them. If I'm going to redo my wishlist with characters that are more likely to be included then I would go with ....

1. Taskmaster (classic)
    2. Man-Thing
    3. Namor the Submariner (the original marvel hero)
    4. Shang-Chi (a lot like Ironfist but I couldn't think of anyone else)

and since Morbius is too much like Blade how about

5. Werewolf by Night

I'd like to see more characters in the Blade genre I guess you can say. What about Spiderman characters, is his rights tied up because of Sony? Because he has a rogues gallery of characters I'd like to see in the game, like Kraven, Hobgoblin, Myserio etc.

honorable mention: Speedball (yes, him) icon_e_wink.gif
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    westnyy2 wrote:
    Everyone keeps posting that MPQ isn't allowed to use mutants becasue of a Marvel ban on Fox movie character. Please explain to me why another Marvel game is offering Rogue right now and just finished up offering Psylocke. Does MPQ have to pay per character? If so, is the blame on them for being cheap and only buying the salvage bin heroes?

With the amount of money I see spent on this game, I'm calling D3 out to "purchase" a character we all want. Give us a survey of the most wanted and buy one please. While many would call for Nightcrawler, Angel or Gambit, I would love to see a bada%^ Doom or Magneto

It amounts to each game dev having to negotiate rights to use the characters, and the different games probably have different priorities. There's the quasi-rumor of Marvel downplaying properties that other companies own movie rights to (like the X-Men with Fox; there's some truth to it, X-Men being downplayed and Inhumans getting more comic time, classic group shots from the comics having X-Men edited out for merchandise, etc, but Marvel's also pushing some 7 or more new X-Men comics this year, including the new Blue and Gold teams), but there's no outright ban like people seem to claim (last time we had X-Men added to the game, we had so many in a row that people were glad to move away from them for a while, and that all took place during the middle of this "X-Men ban")

But the devs know, and they're working on it. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60362&start=40#p648502
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    westnyy2 wrote:

Actually it is a matter of D3 needs to finish negotiating a new license for x men character they said discussions are in progresss for that
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,573 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Red Skull, Beta-Ray Bill, Grey Hulk, Taskmaster, Hercules, Mockingbird...
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I want, have always wanted, likely will always want a huge Shadowland event/set of events. Boss battle against The Beast-possessed Matt Murdock, side events fighting with and/or against Elektra, Black Tarantula, White Tiger, Kingpin, Lady Bullseye, etc. Getting Misty Knight and Colleen Wing into the game.

Still kind of hoping this is where Daredevil season 3 is going to go.

A girl can dream.

Why yes, I have just been re-reading pretty much the whole thing. Why d'you ask?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fox has an exclusive license with Marvel to create film and television content for the X-Men and Fantastic Four. That's it. Only Fox can make an X-Men movie or television show. Marvel can do whatever they want with their characters in any other form of media. They own every single one of their characters - not Fox, not Sony, not anyone else. Period.

If D3 has to negotiate with anyone to put a character into MPQ, they would only have to negotiate with Marvel. (I have no idea what the terms are for D3's licencing rights - it may be they have to get permission from Marvel every time they add a character into MPQ.)

The only reason D3 would need any permission from Fox is if the mutant character in MPQ was based on one of the movie versions. For example, to add (the existing) Mystique D3 didn't need permission from Fox, but if D3 wanted to add a version of Mystique that looked like Jennifer Lawrence they would need permission from Fox.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) She Hulk - I'm very much enjoying her current run in Hulk. Seeing Jennifer broken and trying to pull her life back together is interesting to me. I don't know if she's hulked out yet, I've yet to read this month's issue, but I like the slow build so far. She would be an interesting OML/Bruce Banner style character, I think, with a human and alternate side.
    2) Infamous Iron Man - I love Doctor Doom. Iron Man is cool. Having Doctor Doom as Iron Man, trying to do the whole super hero thing has been fun to read.
    3) Viv - I've been reading Champions and...I just like her. She's pretty cool. She's like a more fun Vision.
    4) Captain America: Agent of Hydra - His shield's cool. I'd be interested to see the devs work with the idea of him being Hydra into the game.
    5) Dazzler - No, seriously...I like Dazzler. I liked her in the Secret Wars A-Force tie-in and I liked her more when A-Force continued (I hope it comes back soon...it wasn't cancelled, was it?) I just like her design. I like that writers are actually finding ways of making her potentially lame powers actually pretty cool and useful in situations.

Overall though, I'm happy with the characters in the game. I kinda had to struggle to think of characters I *really* wanted.
    My most favourite Marvel character, Lady Thor, is already in the game. I mean...is there any way to make more of her somehow?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Fox has an exclusive license with Marvel to create film and television content for the X-Men and Fantastic Four. That's it. Only Fox can make an X-Men movie or television show. Marvel can do whatever they want with their characters in any other form of media. They own every single one of their characters - not Fox, not Sony, not anyone else. Period.

If D3 has to negotiate with anyone to put a character into MPQ, they would only have to negotiate with Marvel. (I have no idea what the terms are for D3's licencing rights - it may be they have to get permission from Marvel every time they add a character into MPQ.)

The only reason D3 would need any permission from Fox is if the mutant character in MPQ was based on one of the movie versions. For example, to add (the existing) Mystique D3 didn't need permission from Fox, but if D3 wanted to add a version of Mystique that looked like Jennifer Lawrence they would need permission from Fox.

While all this is true, Marvel has adopted something of a low-promotion policy with X-men products. There's little to no merchandise for X-men characters, such as toys and so on when movies come out. The X-Men comics now have little to no resemblence to the movies. Games rarely promote the X-men brand. It's believed to be an attempt to devalue the brand so Fox will want to give it up or sell the rights back. It's not working since the movies continue to make lots of money.

As for comics themselves, Marvel doesn't make a lot of money from comics. Hasn't done for a while. The business is okay, but it mostly thrives on the money made from the movies. It's using the comics as a means to experimentation with existing characters, which is why most of the iconic characters have changed who's portraying them. Thor's a woman; Captain America's black; Ms Marvel's a Pakistanni muslim; Captain Marvel's a woman; Iron Man's a black teenage girl; Hulk's an asian guy and so on. They're probably doing this as a way of building a foundation for "What happens when Chris Hemsworth, RDJ, Chris Evans, Scarlet Johansen et al get too old/bored of playing the movies and leave?"
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As for comics themselves, Marvel doesn't make a lot of money from comics. Hasn't done for a while. The business is okay, but it mostly thrives on the money made from the movies.
    The overall market share for all comic sales worldwide (physical & digital) in 2015 was 1.3 billion dollars, of which Marvel sales represented 41.4%.

Marvel Studios has grossed almost 11 billion dollars, which comes to a profit of roughly 7.5 billion after production costs and advertising are subtracted, but that's spread out over the 8 years between the first Iron Man and Dr. Strange (2008 - 2016).

The movies are more profitable, but the comics aren't far behind.
  • StreetPreacher
    StreetPreacher Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Captain Marvel's a woman
    What else is new? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    As for comics themselves, Marvel doesn't make a lot of money from comics. Hasn't done for a while. The business is okay, but it mostly thrives on the money made from the movies.
    The overall market share for all comic sales worldwide (physical & digital) in 2015 was 1.3 billion dollars, of which Marvel sales represented 41.4%.

Marvel Studios has grossed almost 11 billion dollars, which comes to a profit of roughly 7.5 billion after production costs and advertising are subtracted, but that's spread out over the 8 years between the first Iron Man and Dr. Strange (2008 - 2016).

Oh? Welp that thing I read was totally off. I was under the impression comics were not thriving so well, sales down and all that. I'll bow to your knowledge =)
    Captain Marvel's a woman
    What else is new? icon_e_biggrin.gif

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/or ... 8-marv.jpg
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To hell with new characters. All they do is push characters I want to finish into the vault. To hell with Hyde Fist in particular. Nothing he does is worry Peggy being shoved into the vault.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:

Your math sucks.

41.4% of $1.3bn is $538.2m. $7.5bn divided into 8 years is $937m. If we fudge the numbers a bit we see that Marvel Studios is about 74% more profitable. If we were to plug in the relevant data for the Netflix shows, that percentage would surely rise further. In conclusion, the comics are far behind and by a rather sizable margin. I'd say it makes a convincing argument for the claim that Marvel's profits are driven by the TV/movies and not the comics themselves.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would love to see

Superior Spiderman
    Dr Doom (God-Doom from Secret Wars 2015)
    Franklin & Valeria Richards
    Jessica Jones
    Gladiator Hulk