Why are covers worth so little ISO?

Felonius
Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Yesterday I opened a Taco Token and got 5,000 ISO. And that got me thinking... In that (and similar vaults), the 5k ISO "item" is noted with 3-stars. Likewise, the 10,000 (or 10k) ISO item is noted with 4-stars. The way I interpret that is those ISO items are each taking the place of a 3 and 4-star cover (respectively). Which to me translate to: they are "worth" the same as those covers.

So I wonder, then, when I sell a 3 or 4-star cover, why am I short-changed by a factor of ten and am only given 500 and 1k ISO? Shouldn't the covers I sell be worth the same "value" of the cover as reflected in the vault?

It sure would make getting a 6th or 10th-same color 4-star cover a lot less heartbreaking if I could cash it in for a more reasonable 10k ISO.

Of course, now that the ISO economy is the way it is, if they were to change it, it would require more than just changing the "Sell for" value of a given cover. Champ rewards would have to be updated, too, to reflect the correct cover value... The value of selling a rostered character would have to change... etc. And I can't help but expect they'd change the cost to level-up/champ characters (ie increase it) such that the per-cover change would ultimately be a net-zero overall result.

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ever collect sports cards or comics? The store only buy them from you for a faction of their "worth" so same principle here.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    One word: Promotion...
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree this is a problem. It's especially bad when it's something like an unusable cover for a 4* or 5* because you already have that power at 5 and desperately want other colors...

This is where I shamelessly link to my suggestion about that.

5* covers are so rare that the 2000 ISO sell value is unreasonably low, IMO. 10000 ISO plus 10 CP might be a reasonable sale price instead. Maybe more. Selling a cover, if that's the very best we can do with one we can't use, shouldn't feel like burning a winning lottery ticket.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    I agree this is a problem. It's especially bad when it's something like an unusable cover for a 4* or 5* because you already have that power at 5 and desperately want other colors...

This is where I shamelessly link to my suggestion about that.

5* covers are so rare that the 2000 ISO sell value is unreasonably low, IMO. 10000 ISO plus 10 CP might be a reasonable sale price instead. Maybe more. Selling a cover, if that's the very best we can do with one we can't use, shouldn't feel like burning a winning lottery ticket.

Wow. Your suggestion is over 100 thumbs. That's awesome. And it is over a year old with and apparently no closer to being implemented. That's... less awesome. Keep at it though. Fantastic ideas.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    ...Selling a cover, if that's the very best we can do with one we can't use, shouldn't feel like burning a winning lottery ticket.
    I couldn't agree more. And your suggestion (thanks for sharing) is fantastic!
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    sell prices

1 & 2 star stay the same

3* - 1000 iso and 10 hp

4* - 5000 iso, 50 hp, 1cp

5* - 10000 iso, 100 hp, 5cp

really though, colourless covers should be implemented before worrying about selling covers.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Felonius wrote:
    So I wonder, then, when I sell a 3 or 4-star cover, why am I short-changed by a factor of ten and am only given 500 and 1k ISO?

Its similar to buying a new car. Cars depreciate the moment they drive off the lot. Covers depreciate the moment they drive off the server and park on your vine.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually the reason is far more simple than retailer buys for less.

The reason covers have such a low sale value is to give the psychological effect of immediacy and false economy. As you get so little for it you will believe its a better use to play like crazy in order to try and champ the character.

If you could sell for say 10k iso you are far more likely to simply play less (and possibly spend less) and sell the cover as you would feel its 'worth it' whereas in the current pricing structure your first port of call will always be to attempt to champ it (and thus play and potentially spend more) in order to extract 'good value'