A New 4* Character

Options
Young Robot
Young Robot Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
edited March 2017 in Speculation and Concepts
Hey guys, I was bored at work and decided to make a 4 star Gambit! I know a lot of people want him, just tell me what you guys think! I wanted one of his abilities to be unique and that's his black! So tell me if you guys like it!
4* Gambit
10 Purple AP - Luck of The Draw: Gambit has not only skill but luck on his side, Gambit gets a critical draw to change the game. Destroy a certain amount of countdown tiles and do damage
Passive: At the start of every turn Gambit puts a random countdown tile on the field, if it runs out it generates Random AP

8 Blue AP - Pick A Card: Gambit plays a mind game with his opponent, a game of choice that will end bad for the enemy either way. Put three countdown tiles on the board, two of them if they are destroy create more black tiles on the board and one them deals damage and stuns the enemy
Passive: Gambit takes advantage every time a countdown tile runs out, gambit does damage every time a countdown tile runs out

13 Black AP - Aces Or Better: Gambit is famous for being the very best at card games, so Gambit takes a look at your numbers in your AP pool and see if his pokers skills can assist you:
Royal Flush 9/10/11/12/13/1: create 4 critical tiles and place them
Straight Flush 5/6/7/8/9/10: do a very high amount of damage
Four of a Kind 4/4/4/4: do high amount of damage and generate 4 countdown tiles that when on the field gambits abilities cost less
Full House 4/4/4/2/2/2: create 4 countdown tiles that do damage every turn
Flush (AP all the same in his color pull): do high amount of damage and create 2 countdown tiles that generate a purple AP
Three of a kind 3/3/3: create 3 countdown tiles that create strike tiles
Two Pairs 3/3/6/6/1/2: do normal amount of damage and stun
One Pair 5/5/2/1/7/9: do low amount of damage
No Hand: you take damage
(The numbers are just samples for some of the outcomes you can get in your AP pool and if you multiple choices you can choose one)

If you have any ideas to add or delete, just comment!

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey dude, for future reference there is actually a subforum specifically for these posts: viewforum.php?f=21

Also, the odds of a Gambit character ever being added are pretty slim since Fox owns the rights to him. Ditto any other X-Man not already present.

As far as the build goes, that black power is extremely gimmicky (read: not useful) and really expensive to boot - a lot of the time you'd just spend a ton of black AP to hurt yourself.

The other two seem a little on the overpowered side - any time a CD runs out, he deals damage AND generates AP? If you paired him with Coulson he'd wreck absolutely everything.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    the odds of a Gambit character ever being added are pretty slim since Fox owns the rights to him.
    Actually Marvel owns Gambit, just like they own all their characters. Fox has an exclusive licensing contract with Marvel that gives them the sole ability to make film and television products for the X-Men. Otherwise, Marvel can do whatever they want with Gambit in any other type of medium, including allowing his presence in Marvel Puzzle Quest if they so desire.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    Hey dude, for future reference there is actually a subforum specifically for these posts: viewforum.php?f=21

Also, the odds of a Gambit character ever being added are pretty slim since Fox owns the rights to him. Ditto any other X-Man not already present.

As far as the build goes, that black power is extremely gimmicky (read: not useful) and really expensive to boot - a lot of the time you'd just spend a ton of black AP to hurt yourself.

The other two seem a little on the overpowered side - any time a CD runs out, he deals damage AND generates AP? If you paired him with Coulson he'd wreck absolutely everything.

I once posted on one of those other sub forums. No one ever seems to go to them. Its a wasteland of broken posts and dead threads.
  • D26
    D26 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    the odds of a Gambit character ever being added are pretty slim since Fox owns the rights to him.
    Actually Marvel owns Gambit, just like they own all their characters. Fox has an exclusive licensing contract with Marvel that gives them the sole ability to make film and television products for the X-Men. Otherwise, Marvel can do whatever they want with Gambit in any other type of medium, including allowing his presence in Marvel Puzzle Quest if they so desire.

Yes, but Marvel is owned by Disney who has no desire to help and promote films and studios that are rivals, and at this point Fox and Warner Bros are the only real rivals Disney has left in the Superhero film market, with Sony sharing Spider-Man and otherwise being in dire financial straits as a movie studio (the rest of Sony is doing fine, but sony pictures is almost dead). It is a major reason Marvel all but killed the Fantastic Four around the time of the remake's release, and the reason for the comics slowing of and phasing out of many X-Men in favor of the Inhumans (I.e. The "totally not X-men, for realsies!"). Marvel and Disney have little desire to release characters that could directly benefit one of their main competitors, hence so few X-Men getting released.

The next few months will be Guardians of the Galaxy, anyway.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    I once posted on one of those other sub forums. No one ever seems to go to them. Its a wasteland of broken posts and dead threads.
    I thought people stopped posting new character designs years ago! Somehow, I forgot that there is a subforum for it.

Unfortunately, as soon a post gets moved to its appropriate sub folder, it dies an instant death.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    D26 wrote:
    Yes, but Marvel is owned by Disney who has no desire to help and promote films and studios that are rivals, and at this point Fox and Warner Bros are the only real rivals Disney has left in the Superhero film market, with Sony sharing Spider-Man and otherwise being in dire financial straits as a movie studio (the rest of Sony is doing fine, but sony pictures is almost dead). It is a major reason Marvel all but killed the Fantastic Four around the time of the remake's release, and the reason for the comics slowing of and phasing out of many X-Men in favor of the Inhumans (I.e. The "totally not X-men, for realsies!"). Marvel and Disney have little desire to release characters that could directly benefit one of their main competitors, hence so few X-Men getting released.
    You're not wrong, and with a Gambit film in production by Fox I doubt we'll see him here anytime soon.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, I can't keep track of who owns what. Point is, Gambit's a long shot.

As far as the character speculation forum goes, I posted an Omega Red build in there once and it got a few upvotes and replies, so somebody is reading it. But yes, unfortunately apart from the General and Character Discussion categories, most of the board is a wasteland.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you want to play with Gambit, save time and aggravation and switch games.
    hqdefault.jpg

Same goes for Cable, Nightcrawler and Crossbones among others
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    D26 wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

The next few months will be Guardians of the Galaxy, anyway.
    Well Marvel tried post Secret Wars but the Inhumans books simply didn't sell, one only lasted six issues. Now with RessurXion Marvel actually seem to be restoring mutants. Instead of the post Secret Wars 3 team books (EXM, UXM, ANXM) and 2 solos (OML & ANW) we now have from RessurXion 5 team books (X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, Generation X, Weapon X & Astonishing X-Men) aswell as 4 solos (ANW v2, Cable, Jean Grey & Iceman). The Inhumans failed now Marvel are almost exactly doubling their mutant focus.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Well Marvel tried post Secret Wars but the Inhumans books simply didn't sell, one only lasted six issues. Now with RessurXion Marvel actually seem to be restoring mutants. Instead of the post Secret Wars 3 team books (EXM, UXM, ANXM) and 2 solos (OML & ANW) we now have from RessurXion 5 team books (X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, Generation X, Weapon X & Astonishing X-Men) aswell as 4 solos (ANW v2, Cable, Jean Grey & Iceman). The Inhumans failed now Marvel are almost exactly doubling their mutant focus.
    That's because for the first time in 50 years DC recently grabbed the dominant position in the market share for comic book sales and Marvel came to their senses and realized X-Men are their top selling property.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:

Gambit might be a long shot, but what about Longshot? icon_e_wink.gif
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JackTenrec wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

Gambit might be a long shot, but what about Longshot? icon_e_wink.gif
    Ba dum, tsshhh
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    That's because for the first time in 50 years DC recently grabbed the dominant position in the market share for comic book sales and Marvel came to their senses and realized X-Men are their top selling property.

Depends on the era you're referring too, during the late 80's early 90's then I'd agree with you. Prior to that FF or Spidey was the top selling marvel comic after that theres little difference between all the classic titles with new 'revamp' comics like the ultimates stealing a bit of thunder...for a while.