Big fish little pond?

Wumpushunter
Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Is it common to find people with 4 or 5 mostly covered 5 star.png characters slumming it over and over again in low clearance levels? Beating the people with just 2 stars or one or two three stars by 12,000 points and getting what for a reward? A level 4 clearance level reward is a 3 star cover. Is it better to whip up on some new small time players than to truly compete against players of your own stature? Are they stifling the growth of new players just to get one more character champed so they can get a bit more iso?

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Is it common to find people with 4 or 5 mostly covered 5 star.png characters slumming it over and over again in low clearance levels? Beating the people with just 2 stars or one or two three stars by 12,000 points and getting what for a reward? A level 4 clearance level reward is a 3 star cover. Is it better to whip up on some new small time players than to truly compete against players of your own stature? Are they stifling the growth of new players just to get one more character champed so they can get a bit more iso?
    You fight against players in all clearance levels, while your placement rewards is only against players in the same level. I highly doubt any 5* players are dropping all the way down to SCL4 for rewards - are you actually seeing them atop your leaderboard, or are they just attacking you during the event?
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    You fight against players in all clearance levels, while your placement rewards is only against players in the same level. I highly doubt any 5* players are dropping all the way down to SCL4 for rewards - are you actually seeing them atop your leaderboard, or are they just attacking you during the event?
    For PVP sure.

Whats the excuse for PVE?
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor

I think the OP is talking about placement rewards for PVE. Meaning, the people atop the leaderboards for SCL4 are somehow people that shouldn't even sniff SCL4
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Yes, it is common. No idea why they do it, but as long as the system allows that it will keep happening.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards

How deep is their roster?

Given the nature of legendary tokens and shield rank, if a newer player came in and spent a bunch of money to get 4/5* characters covered, and that's all they really have, it's possible they simply don't have the shield rank to go any higher.

Outside of that, it's possible they dropped down because they don't have the 4* reward. CL4 seems a bit extreme for that behavior, which is why I lean to the above possibility.

Of course, some people are just ****, so yes, that's also an option.
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I will occasionally play a lower clearance level, mainly because I can get the individual daily/cp rewards easily. I played SCL5 or 6 a few weeks ago and took top ten in each daily event easily, I think even top 3 in one. I have like 20 champed 4*, if I don't have interest in the 4* progression reward it totally makes sense to drop SCL to win easy daily placement, especially if one was hunting for a vault reward
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Team_Jacob wrote:
    I will occasionally play a lower clearance level, mainly because I can get the individual daily/cp rewards easily. I played SCL5 or 6 a few weeks ago and took top ten in each daily event easily, I think even top 3 in one. I have like 20 champed 4*, if I don't have interest in the 4* progression reward it totally makes sense to drop SCL to win easy daily placement, especially if one was hunting for a vault reward

Mystery solved. Makes it easier to win top 10 for each sub and even lower CL receive CP for top 10.

Now, PVP, I wonder if it is a deal they have with their alliance mates. Like if you are a top alliance and 6 of your top players always pre-join and end up being the top 1-6 in placement for your shard. Then maybe you take turns rotating to a lower clearance level so the 6th man has a chance to get top 5 every now and then. Which helps the alliance as a whole.
  • illusionist_KA
    illusionist_KA Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Alsmir wrote:
    Yes, it is common. No idea why they do it, but as long as the system allows that it will keep happening.

The reason this is done, is because people don't care for the 4* rewards, and its better to drop down to get the 3* and the iso to help then to compete for something they don't need. this basically shows that the CL needs to be opened more and prize structure needs to be evaluated big time. 10 people fighting for 1 4* is ridiculous for CL8, this needs to be dropped down to top 50. Especially since we can't have the old 4* anymore. so basically - top 10 three 4*, top 25 - two 4* and top 50 one 4*. That would be nice if the devs are not willing to open up the CL levels.