yahenni not buffing itself

hawkyh1
hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
played against tez who cast yahenni after 2 other creatures
including aethertide whale. I have it that rides as one out.
I cast give no ground to give my creature 2/6 reach making
it 6+/10+(I forget the exact figures). what I was expecting
is to firststrike the 2 creatures and yahenni surviving due to
it's ability to buff itself with prevent damage upon creature
death on it's side. what happened is that all 3 opponent
creatures died. is this right?

HH

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think its a trigger error within the game. It doesn't see the death triggers during combat to apply the buff, and instead calculates all that after combat has resolved for all creatures. If he was the third creature to attack, and two creatures died before him, then he should have gotten berserker and prevent damage until the end of his controller's next turn.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    That's a good question! I'll reach out to the developers to see what the order of operations is, and whether triggered abilities resolve during or after combat.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    wereotter wrote:
    I think its a trigger error within the game. It doesn't see the death triggers during combat to apply the buff, and instead calculates all that after combat has resolved for all creatures. If he was the third creature to attack, and two creatures died before him, then he should have gotten berserker and prevent damage until the end of his controller's next turn.

I've had something like this happen, and my thought process about what actually occurred down in the silicon was precisely what you have outlined here. It must have something to do with how the 'phases' of a turn play out, sort of like how there are 'phases' in paper magic.
  • hueyTW
    hueyTW Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I think this isn't a bug. In paper magic, all the battle damages happen at the same time. All the creatures are sent to graveyard at one time point.

Another example, Graf Harvest + any small creature + True-Faith Censer. If creature aren't sent to graveyard at the same time, you only need one creature to block all opponent's creature.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    hueyTW wrote:
    I think this isn't a bug. In paper magic, all the battle damages happen at the same time. All the creatures are sent to graveyard at one time point.

Another example, Graf Harvest + any small creature + True-Faith Censer. If creature aren't sent to graveyard at the same time, you only need one creature to block all opponent's creature.

that's different, the graf harvest newly created zombie
    is outside of the current combat cycle. it has to wait
    for it's own combat cycle to occur. yahenni is already
    in combat. I was expecting something similar to
    serene steward buffing lone rider in combat.

HH
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Matthew wrote:
    wereotter wrote:

I've had something like this happen, and my thought process about what actually occurred down in the silicon was precisely what you have outlined here. It must have something to do with how the 'phases' of a turn play out, sort of like how there are 'phases' in paper magic.

Which, come to think of it, is something they got right when compared to paper magic. Apart from first strike/double strike, all combat damage resolves at the same time, so we might consider that in this specific instance that all the creatures died at once in combat even though the animations in the game make it appear that they died one after the other.
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    And even if not, the damage is dealt and the creatures have 0 health. Then they start to die one after another. Even if Yahenni get prevent damage then, it's still going to leave the battlefield due to 0 health.

All in all, it doesn't look like a bug to me.