Idea for a new game mode. (Season long PvP gauntlet)

Chipster22
Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
Proposal for a new game mode. (Season long PvP gauntlet)

Rules:

The PvP gauntlet will run for an entire season.

Each day a player will be allowed 3 battles. Opponents may be anyone in the entire player base that has joined the gauntlet.

Points will be given based on the strength of the opponent's team beaten. Points can only be gained and there are no deductions for losses. Shields will be unnecessary. If a 5* player wants to stomp on 1* players throughout the season that is possible, but they will receive very few points for each win. Likewise, a lower level player may aim above their power level, but risk losing their matches.

Placement rewards will be based on the total points score earned.

Progression rewards will base on the total number of wins regardless of points score.

This means that a player may choose to fight hard battles to fight for placement rewards or choose to fight easy battles to guaranty a more progression rewards.

Would this work? This is just a basic outline with many details that would have to be fleshed out.

Would it be something you would want to play?

Comments

• gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    It sounds fun, since there are no shields, I don't think it would ever happen since there wouldn't be a way to monetize it. Also, the points being based on your opponents level would skew towards giving bigger rosters an advantage in the rankings. I don't really have a solution for that, because even if the points rewarded were (their level - your team's level), that would give an advantage to softcappers.

I would certainly play, but at this point I would give just about any new game mode a shot.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    gravel wrote:
    Also, the points being based on your opponents level would skew towards giving bigger rosters an advantage in the rankings.

That is intentional and why I would consider it a gauntlet. It would give a place for the top end players to let their dogs off the leash and run for placement.

The rest of us could still get all the progression rewards if we want and see how our rosters are improving each season in placement.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally would not be interested.

I'd much rather see them add PvE seasons and a PvE season-long gauntlet (to psudo-mirror PvP Simulator) before they work on an idea like this. But that's just me.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    I personally would not be interested.

I'd much rather see them add PvE seasons and a PvE season-long gauntlet (to psudo-mirror PvP Simulator) before they work on an idea like this. But that's just me.

Agreed. The OP's idea seems cool. But, the official gauntlet already exists. Simply running that as a mirror to Shield Sim seems like a much easier first step. I'd rather PvE have one such season long thing before PvP gets a second.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I propose a slight change - allow people to designate their defensive team as 3 separate teams of 3, then make each "gauntlet" battle a wave. Puts a little more emphasis on deeper rosters and might make for a little bit of strategy as you decide where to put your "best" team, etc. I think I would prefer 3 waves of 3-person teams, but it could alternately be one wave of 5 or 6 or something (and then you would just designate what your 5-6 characters are for defense).

Anyway, as mentioned above, I'm all for new game modes so I would give it a try for sure.

edit : to entice people to put forth their best defensive team you could give bonus points if someone loses to yours?
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a terrible idea. I just wish they would do a weekly featured 4 star Mission like growth industry for every 4 star In the game.