PQ Anniversary Deal: Take it? Or leave it?

Sorin81
Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So did you get your free crystals today?

Looking at the deal you get 4 premium packs for 600 manacrystal.png. Now if I can add right that's 104 cards.

Will you take it?
Will you give them your precious crystals for this deal?
Or will you hold onto your crystals?

edit: there are in fact 2 premium packs and 2 super packs in this deal. I believe that's 82 total cards.

Comments

• buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    I've literally just been involved in this exchange on facebook...
    So my friend who is a new player with me has just reached 650 gold with today's 10 year bonus award. Should she get the bonus deal of 10 card packs plus 2 super backs for 600 gold, or a 2 color plainswalker? She has all the base plainswalker already.
    buscemi wrote:
    I'll be honest with you, as a long time Platinum player, that's a hard call for me to make. I consider it bad value for me (because I own the majority of the rares and about half the mythics), but I might buy it anyway before the end of the week (but only because I have a stash of 3.5k crystals... if I had 600, there's no way I'd buy it).

For a new player, I find that call even harder.

It's tough for me to judge the worth of a dual PW, since their worth to me is connected to the OP cards I own which new players likely don't, like Deploy the Gatewatch or Startled Awake. I'd guess that Kiora would be a boon to literally anyone, as would Saheeli, purely from her high mana gains; Ajani, Nahiri, Arlinn, Dovin, or Sarkhan, tho, really depend on the cards you already own. (Also: Don't get Sorin. Also: Ob can have the power of a dual PW, but you really need at least 2 out of Ruinous Path, To The Slaughter, and Grip of Desolation before he starts to sing).

The boosters will certainly contain more new cards for a newbie than for me: possibly some new playable uncommons, probably a few rares, and maybe, a mythic, but the chances of getting 0 mythics from the pack are probably not far above 50%.

TL;DR dunno.... but I thought I'd rabbit on for a bit anyway in case it helped.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    You are mistaken in your calculations, which is understandable, You were thinking that D3 is "generous" enough to give us 104 cards (20 packs) for 600 crystals, brutal truth is that you only get 16 packs, 10 KLD 3 SOI 3 BFZ

Is it worth rolling the dice ?

I dont know, KLD should be pretty worthless to a new player who hasnt got HIXUS, Deploy, exert or any other "premium" mythics from earlier sets

EDIT, buscemi just beat me to it
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    BTW I love the fact that they've hidden the fact that SOI and BFZ boosters aren't 5 packs behind a pretty ribbon. I expect no less from D3.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2017
    Thanks losdamianos. I just saw that those were in fact 2 premium packs and 2 super packs.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    I make it 16 packs (10+3+3) + 2 rares for 600 crystals.
    previous big box was 14 packs + 1 rare+ for 600 crystals.

in sheer number of cards it looks like a decent deal.
    problem is all the reward packs are now kaladesh. so
    unless you need lots of cards in the kaladesh set there's
    not going to be much value in those 10 kaladesh packs.

HH
  • TibbyGenn
    TibbyGenn Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    I also got duped by this. Thought 10 + 5 + 5. But the drop gods smiled on me.

KLD and BFZ were usual.

SOI last yielded both B2B and Ulrich.

Can't complain here.