Character Order

therightwaye
therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
Now that they are dropping characters from recruit pools it would be pretty great if they could order the characters in the recruit info section by newest to oldest. Then I'd know which 4 star.png was next to disappear without having to find a list some place.

Is that asking for too much?

Comments

• Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    The next three to leave in order are Peggy wasp and Jessica drew.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, this would be a nice update that would make a lot of sense. I've thought the same thing too.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly why bother?

currently the chars are sorted Level, then by power tier, then by alphabet name.

doing what you asks requires someone to go in label additional meta deta for every single char. Then they will need to implement a new filter system to make it looks consistent with how its currently displayed. Honestly why bother?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like an in game warning telling me when for instance peggy is about to leave the 12, like they do for vaults with a day left. A thread on here with some notification of when the next one or two will be leaving would be great too. Next season will we lose just peggy or wasp as well? I'd like to be able to do a little bit of token planning! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    I'd like an in game warning telling me when for instance peggy is about to leave the 12, like they do for vaults with a day left. A thread on here with some notification of when the next one or two will be leaving would be great too. Next season will we lose just peggy or wasp as well? I'd like to be able to do a little bit of token planning! icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Most likely just Peggy since only one new fourstar will be added to the pool.
  • Tony_Foot
    Quebbster wrote:

I hope so, because I have one cover to get for wasp and another month would be great as there's no 3* path to her cover and I have more than enough bonus heroes as it is icon_e_biggrin.gif I have decided to abandon ever getting 13 covers on lots of old ones and will feed some iso into others instead for now.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

I hope so, because I have one cover to get for wasp and another month would be great as there's no 3* path to her cover and I have more than enough bonus heroes as it is icon_e_biggrin.gif I have decided to abandon ever getting 13 covers on lots of old ones and will feed some iso into others instead for now.

You're falling into their trap! Fight for the old 4*s!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish they ordered it that way in the tool tip for the packs if that's what you mean. It would also be nice if they highlighted who's leaving next time the pack get's update. I'm not holding my breath on either though, they are still trying to figure out how to fix much bigger issues with the system.
  • Tony_Foot
    bbigler wrote:

You're falling into their trap! Fight for the old 4*s!

I have given up admittedly, but then I see that they will force the issue. The next updates will be to the ones in that 12 that we think suck. Riri and maybe blade. They will remove the strike title limitation on 4Cage and force him to be re-thinked as they did wasp. Ice and Jean will be adjusted as they hinted in the podcast on rebalancing. I don't think it matter what I think, they will carry on with their own path.

My Ice needs 8 covers, Coulson, Medusa, Carol and every other new character has more than him. I've given up on the older ones.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly why bother?

currently the chars are sorted Level, then by power tier, then by alphabet name.

doing what you asks requires someone to go in label additional meta deta for every single char. Then they will need to implement a new filter system to make it looks consistent with how its currently displayed. Honestly why bother?

I say bother because I prefer to know in-game what is upcoming. I know for example in a few weeks HawkGuy is going to replace some character in the 3* rewards category. I don't know who that will be unless I do google searchs.

Also, I don't subscribe to that's more work as an excuse. Things take effort that being true shouldn't be an excuse to not do it.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly why bother?

Because it's a trivial amount of work and it conveys useful information for in-game decision making?

Seriously, I will eat my hat (and yours) if their base character DB doesn't have creationDate or liveDate as a field. Copying that field over to the in-game character list and updating the sort criteria for that page is what, 30 minutes of work? An hour if you include QA?

"implement a new filter system"... Honestly, it's updating a sort statement, not decoding the Matrix.

EDIT - just to be clear, then OP was requesting this re-ordered list on the Recruit Heroes list, not the roster list. That's the list you get when you hit the question mark on the heroic, latest legends or classic legends token page. Your statement about being sorted by level and then tier and then name means you are not referring to that page, as it doesn't mix tiers at all, nor does it show level (how could it?).
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly why bother?

For all the reasons you list. This change would make things harder for Demiurge. It would require additional bug testing each patch, which they don't do. It would result in more problems. And those lower customer satisfaction.

Those are the sort of issues that actually make Demiurge stop and say "well this just isn't worth it" and that's when they'll look at replacing the system.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly why bother?

I say bother because I prefer to know in-game what is upcoming. I know for example in a few weeks HawkGuy is going to replace some character in the 3* rewards category. I don't know who that will be unless I do google searchs.

Also, I don't subscribe to that's more work as an excuse. Things take effort that being true shouldn't be an excuse to not do it.
    The three-star characters aren't in chronological order. Strange and Thanos is in there, but the last three-star releases before them were Vision and Quicksilver who aren't in the pool. If I were to venture a guess I'd say Squirrel Girl will be kicked out to make room for Hawkguy.
  • kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    The order they will be rotated out is:

Peggy Carter
    Wasp
    Spider-Woman
    Luke Cage
    Gwenpool
    Blade
    Agent Venom
    Medusa
    Captain Marvel
    Riri Williams
    Mordo
    Agent Coulson
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that they are dropping characters from recruit pools it would be pretty great if they could order the characters in the recruit info section by newest to oldest. Then I'd know which 4 star.png was next to disappear without having to find a list some place.

Is that asking for too much?
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly why bother?

You aren't even talking about the same thing as the OP. He's talking about the info page, where you click the ? to see who's in a token. Put those 12 in order, bottom right is always the next one to leave, it's useful information.

They don't have to do something for every single character, because they're literally only working with a pool of 12 at a time, displayed in a static location, that only changes once a month.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly why bother?

Because it's a trivial amount of work and it conveys useful information for in-game decision making?

Seriously, I will eat my hat (and yours) if their base character DB doesn't have creationDate or liveDate as a field. Copying that field over to the in-game character list and updating the sort criteria for that page is what, 30 minutes of work? An hour if you include QA?

"implement a new filter system"... Honestly, it's updating a sort statement, not decoding the Matrix.

EDIT - just to be clear, then OP was requesting this re-ordered list on the Recruit Heroes list, not the roster list. That's the list you get when you hit the question mark on the heroic, latest legends or classic legends token page. Your statement about being sorted by level and then tier and then name means you are not referring to that page, as it doesn't mix tiers at all, nor does it show level (how could it?).

Lol please tell me your at least in the software development field before you start budgeting out time for developers to implement features.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    Lol please tell me your at least in the software development field before you start budgeting out time for developers to implement features.
    Yeah, I was for 10 years before I went back to school for engineering. Why do you ask?

It's simply not a complex task. The list is already sorted, so there is a sort being applied at some level - as a database call to write to a static array (probable), as a sort directly applied to an array in the app (unlikely since it doesn't change between patches) or something ludicrous like sorting the entire character list in a spreadsheet to cut and paste the top 12 into a configuration section (you'd be surprised at how high the odds are of that one).

Regardless, vaulting was just implemented a few weeks ago - it's not like the dev who coded that sort is going to have to go hunting to find out how to alter it. Thirty minutes is about right.

Granted, it might take *you* longer, since you would have spent a few hours sorting the roster page and updating the UI for that section instead.

icon_e_wink.gif

EDIT - "array" is used as a generic term here for any array-like object. The basic methodology is the same, regardless of the specific container being used.

EDIT 2 - I'll confess to being a bit biased here, as I suggested the same thing a couple of weeks ago.
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Q: Why champion characters if they are going to be rotated out? I mean unless you're stock-piling for 5*'s, what's the max level you could get them now? +10-20 levels before they are rotated out and you'll see very few covers for them ever again?

Even if you are stock piling, when you blow your stash you'll have a slice of time, 12 characters, that if you champion them, you'll have them higher than other people. People who don't stockpile could have all future characters at max level + 10 or 20. So what? WIth the characters vaulted, there doesn't seem to be much point to champions