Is pvp a massive waste of time?

13»

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    My experience? I still have much more success obtaining 4* covers through progression and the odd T10 or T5 placement in PvE.

I'm a very early 4* transitioner (all 3*s except Hawkeye champed, one 4* champ). I've gotten the 900 reward exactly twice, and that was because it was during the week my lone 4* champ was boosted. And, I finally have enough of an HP surplus that I can buy some shields. For the longest time HP was for roster slots only.

So if you have a lot of champed 4*s who subsequently get boosted, then yeah, PvP is probably much more fun and easy for you.

I wanted to get to the 800 mark in the No Good News event, but hit a wall shortly after the 650 mark. Nothing but champed/boosted Star-Lord and Cyclops teams. Personally, I couldn't complete with that, so I had to give up. Fun event for some, I'm sure; frustrating for me.

As others have said though, it is relatively easy and worth it to get to 575 at least. For me, beyond that is a different story.
  • nonnel1
    nonnel1 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    PVE is a horrible time sink & death grind. Just a no fun play mode.

PvP is quick and fun. Unless you can't handle hits. Taking hits in PvP to personal is a bad idea. Shrug em off and keep climbing.

I agree. PVP is the worst too. You just convinced me to only play DDQ only
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Between my own experience and what I've read, I feel like it really, really depends on where you are in the game. Where I'm at, in the 2*-3* transition, I can easily max progression and get t50 in PvE, but pushing past the 575 CP in PvP is essentially impossible.

As you climb higher into 4* and 5*, tho, you get the tools to hang at higher levels in PvP, while scaling means that PvE at best stays the same, and from what I hear, can actually get harder.

In any case, the key to enjoying it is understanding what is a reasonable expectation for your roster and the amount/distribution of time you have available to play. I found PvP super frustrating until I learned and accepted that at my level, there is really no point in trying to push past 575, and left the higher areas of PvP to the big kids.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Don't know if it's been said but maybe if it's not fun it's a waste of time. Unless you're making some kind of financial gain from playing. Or in the case you're not having fun and you're into punishing yourself. I think if none of rhe above 3 apply then yes it is a waste of time.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a huge waste of time if you're going for placement rewards. Totally worth it if you're just after progression rewards. Assuming you're in a higher SHIELD Clearance, 200 points gets you an Elite Token, 300 a Heroic (well, one for that PvP, but it's essentially just a Heroic that they make look shinier), 400 gets you 50 HP, and 575 gets you 10 CP. I always go to 575 for those command points. It's pretty effortless as you don't really get attacked until you exceed that. If I'm on a roll, have good boosted characters, and see some high-point matches, I'll play for 650 to get the additional token.

On rare occasion, the PvP has a 4* cover I really want or need at 900, and I'll fight for that. This requires that you spend HP on shields, but if you put even a little attention into it and have some boosted characters, it's doable and worthwhile.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    lol @ this thread

1. yes

2. you have to shield. if you've been playing for 3 years, you can most likely earn enough HP in-game, to cover a modest amount of shield each PVP (and don't have to pay $$)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let me enlighten all of you, this ENTIRE GAME is a massive waste of time. It's main objective is to separate us from our time and money
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I was very annoyed with the No Good News PvP. Was so close to getting the 900 point cover which was the Hawkguy one. People hit me hard. Very frustrating! I decided this will be my last PvP season because of that. People going nuts for a 3* cover. Yes PvP is a waste of time. I got better things to do!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I
    PS: I would really like to know some numbers about how many people play just PvE or just PvP, how many people play to 575 and how many play for more...

I play both

I play to 575 in PvP because my roster is weak (lots of 120ish level characters plus some single 5* covers). My season goal is 4000+ points and a T50 finish in CL7 for a 2nd heroic 10 pack or if I am REALLY lucky a T25 finish (last season was first time) for 3 heroic 10 pacts.

I try and place T10 or T5 in PvE to get 4* placement covers.

KGB
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    KGB wrote:
    I play to 575 in PvP because my roster is weak (lots of 120ish level characters plus some single 5* covers). My season goal is 4000+ points and a T50 finish in CL7 for a 2nd heroic 10 pack or if I am REALLY lucky a T25 finish (last season was first time) for 3 heroic 10 pacts.
    KGB

Huh? How are you getting top 50 placement for the season if you're only shooting for 575 in PvP?

I scored over 9000 in SCL 7 in each of the last two seasons and didn't even get top 100. Are you getting over 2000 in Simulator?
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I spent 525 hp on shields and was able to get a much needed Hawkeye and Winter Soldier cover.

It's all about choosing your battles and realizing when it's worth it to sink your time and resources into it. Don't go in to PVP expecting to earn every prize.

A lot depends on how many boosted 4* characters you currently have champed on your roster. I'll be sad when Cyc and Star Lord leave the boosted list.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    I was very annoyed with the No Good News PvP. Was so close to getting the 900 point cover which was the Hawkguy one. People hit me hard. Very frustrating! I decided this will be my last PvP season because of that. People going nuts for a 3* cover. Yes PvP is a waste of time. I got better things to do!

Do you mean the 800 point cover? In CL7&8, 800 is a three-star and 900 is a four-star (was winter soldier in NGN-PVP). Maybe you were in a lower CL? But with your terrific roster, you should play in the higher CL!!!

But just to be clear, the people you fight and who fight you do not have to be in the same CL as you. So those people were surely "going nuts" trying to reach 900 in order to get the four-star card.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    TimGunn wrote:

Do you mean the 800 point cover? In CL7&8, 800 is a three-star and 900 is a four-star (was winter soldier in NGN-PVP). Maybe you were in a lower CL? But with your terrific roster, you should play in the higher CL!!!

But just to be clear, the people you fight and who fight you do not have to be in the same CL as you. So those people were surely "going nuts" trying to reach 900 in order to get the four-star card.
    Plenty of people drop down to SCL 6 in the release tournaments for new Three-star characters as they prefer getting an extra cover for the new Three-star over getting Another cover for an old fourstar.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    astrp3 wrote:
    KGB wrote:
    KGB

Huh? How are you getting top 50 placement for the season if you're only shooting for 575 in PvP?

I scored over 9000 in SCL 7 in each of the last two seasons and didn't even get top 100. Are you getting over 2000 in Simulator?

You can snipe for fresh season brackets and get easy season top placement.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    ValekBoss wrote:
    astrp3 wrote:
    KGB wrote:
    KGB

You can snipe for fresh season brackets and get easy season top placement.

My experience with sniping season brackets is that you need to skip 2 events to make it work (no guarantee). I've done it a couple of times and since the last one did not work I've decided not to do it anymore (missed 2 events and still joined a bracket with over 4000 players so I had a horrible finish). But I did snipe it once to top5 finish for 3 10-packs. It was awesome.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    PVE is dirt simple with good boosteds and a good roster.

Wake up, grind first 4. Play last 2-3 right before bed. If there's a chance for a nerf there I'll do the fifth clear around dinner time or a little later JIC. Easy top 20, sometimes t10. Minimal life impact. If I want to push harder once in a while, I can re-arrange my schedule and go harder for 2-3 days. (with first day clears and final end its less than the whole event).

PVP is just as simple if you plan well and aren't aiming for elite placement. Pick a slice that you can be around for that 3-8 hour from the end window. Float til then, then grind. Hop if you want, don't if you don't want.

Have a life and have very good placements....it's pretty doable.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards

Wake up, grind first 4. Play last 2-3 right before bed. If there's a chance for a nerf there I'll do the fifth clear around dinner time or a little later JIC. Easy top 20, sometimes t10. Minimal life impact. If I want to push harder once in a while, I can re-arrange my schedule and go harder for 2-3 days. (with first day clears and final end its less than the whole event).

PVP is just as simple if you plan well and aren't aiming for elite placement. Pick a slice that you can be around for that 3-8 hour from the end window. Float til then, then grind. Hop if you want, don't if you don't want.

Either this is false (see bolded portion) or you're playing in lowbie brackets. Every PVE I've ever entered has mega grinders in the top ten spots, new release or otherwise.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind wrote:

Either this is false (see bolded portion) or you're playing in lowbie brackets. Every PVE I've ever entered has mega grinders in the top ten spots, new release or otherwise.

SCL7. And 0% I could pull off t10 on a release on this schedule....I know that. Regular event, decent shot, but not a guarantee. Call it 30%, a little more if I time the slice flip on day one good. Less if I don't.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn't read most of the thread, IMO the answer is yes, until you get a few 4* champed. Before I had 4* champs I'd be luck to hit the 575 10 CP in progression and never placed. Now as long as I start early and grind it up every 8ish hours I can get the 800/900 rewards without too much difficulty. Shielding is absolutely required if the 4* cover is very sought after or if you care about placement.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind wrote:

Today is day 365 for me and I have managed t5 for 2NR's (Medusa & Coulson). It just happens S1 suited me regarding my lunchbreak (end grind - done about 90mins before slice end) and dinnerbreak (start next sub grind). The best thing about PVE is I'm not forced to shield nor do I loose any of my earned points, whatever effort I put in I will keep and get the rewards. This is simply not possible for pvp.