As a new player, a suggestion about standard tokens.

Wumpushunter
Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I get these standard tokens, and after about 10 days of playing I stopped needing the characters that they 97% of time produce. The standard token seems to be the token that drops most from the bonus reward when you watch the video advertising, the standard token seems to be the filler in the progression of most PVE rewards. But its 97% worthless for so much of the player base, its even more worthless than 500 iso.

And my 97% is not a made up number, I literally kept up with opening of my standard tokens and 97% of them were 1 stars usually the same two, Juggs and Iron man 35.

Suggestion time: Let us save up tokens, 10 (or some not stupidly high number) standard tokens equals an Elite Token, 10 (or some not stupidly high number) of heroic tokens becomes a heroic token. Simple suggestion from a newbie that felt like they were spinning their wheels for 2 weeks out of 4 weeks.

Comments

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    The standard token seems to be the token that drops most from the bonus reward when you watch the video advertising
    Huh? It didn't drop for me even once from intercepts. And i guess there are only heroic/Elite tokens can be found in bonus reward pull.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think of standard tokens as a 100 iso reward that sometimes gives a nice bonus. If they replaced 70 iso and 100 iso rewards with these I wouldn't complain.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are given rather often and they are what they are - 100 iso with occasional 2* covers and super rare double-3* covers (due to bonus hero you get 2 3* covers every time you pull gold form standard).

The suggestion you are making was raised already many time. It's a pointless exercise as the developers don't listen to the suggestions.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rewards and covers are based on rarity. The ubiquitous presence of standard tokens and 1-star covers are what makes the higher tier covers rare. If they got rid of them, then the 2-star field would be the most common and you'd have a ton of those and complaining that you don't need them anymore.

No one likes the winter, but it's what makes summer special. No one likes the dark, but its what makes the light so precious. No one gives a **** about 1-stars, but getting past them and rising through the ranks is what makes the upper tiers separate you from those at the beginning.

Making higher tier covers more available, even by the trade-10 method you suggest, sounds like a great idea, but really it's just a diminishment (is that a word?) of rarity.

You shouldn't be looking at or using standard tokens as a source of covers. They are a source of ISO. Covers should be coming from DDQ, progression prizes, HP Vaults, and CP. Even heroic tokens, once you leave the 2-star tier, become rather worthless for improving a roster and turn into nothing more than 250 ISO rewards.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    Rewards and covers are based on rarity. The ubiquitous presence of standard tokens and 1-star covers are what makes the higher tier covers rare. If they got rid of them, then the 2-star field would be the most common and you'd have a ton of those and complaining that you don't need them anymore.

No one likes the winter, but it's what makes summer special. No one likes the dark, but its what makes the light so precious. No one gives a tinykitty about 1-stars, but getting past them and rising through the ranks is what makes the upper tiers separate you from those at the beginning.

Making higher tier covers more available, even by the trade-10 method you suggest, sounds like a great idea, but really it's just a diminishment (is that a word?) of rarity.

You shouldn't be looking at or using standard tokens as a source of covers. They are a source of ISO. Covers should be coming from DDQ, progression prizes, HP Vaults, and CP. Even heroic tokens, once you leave the 2-star tier, become rather worthless for improving a roster and turn into nothing more than 250 ISO rewards.

Well no because champing exists.

It'd be a net gain all round.
    The reasons 1s are useless is like exactly because they can't be champed.

I'd never complain about being flooded in more ISO, covers and HP, especially since the first 2 are things that cause the most contention between players base and developers.

1's literally can't be use, while everything after is why we have champing and why they'd be useful.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:

1's literally can't be use, while everything after is why we have champing and why they'd be useful.
    No, they're useless because you move on.

The ability to champ them would do what, give players another source of 2-star covers? More ISO? I don't hear anyone crying for more 2-star covers, and you can get ISO from 1-stars by selling them. Personally, I think the ability to champ 1-stars would open too many holes for people to whale their way straight through the 3-star tier just off farming champ rewards.
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    How about instead of changing them in for an elite there was an OPEN 10 and an OPEN 40 Standard tokens button so we don't have to wear the middle of our screens out opening them individually.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
    I could even go with a button that says "Open Standard tokens until you get a 3* or hit 0, whichever comes first."

icon_cool.gif
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

The ability to champ them would do what, give players another source of 2-star covers? More ISO? I don't hear anyone crying for more 2-star covers, and you can get ISO from 1-stars by selling them. Personally, I think the ability to champ 1-stars would open too many holes for people to whale their way straight through the 3-star tier just off farming champ rewards.

So you're saying to me, cycling 2 star champs FASTER would be a bad thing?

The point is simply. 1's can't be champed, and people would not complain about more 2's instead.

2's give rewards.

More 2's would be good for everyone. There is no downside.
    The rate of ISO and HP and 3 Covers would be expedited exponentially, especially for whales.

Who exactly would say "ugh 2's are coming in too fast, I can't handle champing my 3's faster and getting 4 star rewards, ISO, Champ levels faster, ugh this is so gross"

This all started because you said people would complain about more 2's.

I know I'm not super popular here, it almost seems like disagreeing for the sake of it. this is pretty much the only way to view the topic in question, as people already praise the 2 star rate giving them hundreds of spare HP a week.
  • archmag
    archmag Posts: 25
    And my 97% is not a made up number, I literally kept up with opening of my standard tokens and 97% of them were 1 stars usually the same two, Juggs and Iron man 35.
    97% is a made up number. They only drop 1* at about 83% rate, they have about 14.5% to drop 2* and 2.5% to drop 3*. As a result their value can be estimated at about 144 Iso-8. Elite tokens' value is about 316 Iso-8 (that's with 76% 2* and 24% 3* rates that I found in internet, don't have access to my actual stats right now). So when you suggest to exchange 10 standards to 1 elite you suggest exchanging 1440 Iso to 316 Iso, and you say it will be more profitable and people will be happy. I don't see it...

GurlBYE wrote:
    More 2's would be good for everyone. There is no downside.
    The rate of ISO and HP and 3 Covers would be expedited exponentially, especially for whales.
    100xStandard tokens - 14x2* covers on average
    10xElite tokens - 10x2* covers at max.
    Where do you see more 2* in current suggestion?
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Op when they announced elite tokens we were super excited because they told us that we would be getting them in place of standard tokens in events. Then it turned out they just meant placement and progression and we were bummed but not really surprised.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

I believe this was true when you could buy Standard Tokens, but they took that option away with bonus covers. Now that you can no longer buy as many STs as you want, maybe it is time to rethink the idea of being able to champion 1*s.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

I believe this was true when you could buy Standard Tokens, but they took that option away with bonus covers. Now that you can no longer buy as many STs as you want, maybe it is time to rethink the idea of being able to champion 1*s.

Eh. I'm perfectly happy with not feeling compelled to roster all the 1*s. If they made 1*s champ-able, made all the champ rewards iso-only, made the payout equal to the cost of champing plus the opportunity cost of not just selling the covers, and capped the level around 90, then I'd be fine with it. The only reason to do it would be to keep your 1*s playable for a little while longer. As soon as there's a 2* cover or a token or HP in there, it becomes mandatory for optimal gameplay.

Haven't all of you been complaining extremely loudly these past few weeks about how scarce roster slots are? You want 8 more mandatory slots?

Also, before they can enable champ 1*s they'd have to work through the technical challenges that the two-cover characters would present.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I rarely get standard tokens outside of nodes. This is not a problem worth looking into, especially since everybody has/had to pull through this stage. Call it paying your dues.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I get these standard tokens, and after about 10 days of playing I stopped needing the characters that they 97% of time produce. The standard token seems to be the token that drops most from the bonus reward when you watch the video advertising, the standard token seems to be the filler in the progression of most PVE rewards. But its 97% worthless for so much of the player base, its even more worthless than 500 iso.

Suggestion time: Let us save up tokens, 10 (or some not stupidly high number) standard tokens equals an Elite Token, 10 (or some not stupidly high number) of heroic tokens becomes a heroic token. Simple suggestion from a newbie that felt like they were spinning their wheels for 2 weeks out of 4 weeks.

Your 97% is almost definitely a made-up number. I have been tracking my pulls for over a year, and breaking down the silver pulls in detail for 5 seasons now. Here, see for yourself: The detailed silver pulls start appearing from S31, however that's really not even the point here. Suggestions like this have been floating around for years. While it's exaggeration to say none of the suggestions are ever implemented, this is certainly not one of them.

For the record, I'm in favor of the idea. I just don't see it ever coming to pass.