Expect to be Disappointed

Options
wickedwitch74
wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I posted this elsewhere, but I sincerely believe that it deserves it's own post.

This community has shown great character and solidarity in voicing its opposition to the recent changes to the game. My post is not meant to undermine that or to suggest that established players should go quietly into that good night.

That said, be prepared for disappointment...

It is probable that D3 understands full well that these changes are going to go over very poorly with the vast majority of existing, long established players and that many of you/us will leave the game.

If you have something, and then it gets taken away you will feel resentment, which many of us do.

We have also noticed that these changes affect new players adversely, as it is now much more difficult (translation: expen$ive) to catch up to established players. This, I believe, is the whole point of the recent changes.

D3 likely expects to lose a large portion of the established player base, as they push the game in a direction that will hopefully bring in more revenue for them long-term, and they are banking on a new/future player base that never experienced the salad days of better drop-rates, or an easier path to obtaining mythics, etc... These players will not feel the sting of a devaluation of their currency as we have just done, or the frustration in seeing our rewards cut off at the knees.

In fairness to D3, they are licensing this product from WotC, and that is likely costing them through the nose. They have evaluated their business model, tweaked the game economy and mechanics accordingly, and will likely see through this painful transition and loss of established players.

Comments

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, not sure I agree.

If the point was to just level the field, why didn't they do that in a manner that wouldn't ostracize the long established players? Plenty of ideas for this have been bantered around.

I do think they expected a minor backlash with the direction they took, but I don't think they expected a virtual meltdown.

I also think that the biggest money spenders tend to be those that have been here for the longest. In fact, I never spent money on the game until I was in a top coalition and then the wallet came out.

However, I do expect disappointment. I will continue trolling the forums for a while, playing a little MTG duels.. and seeing if I can find a better game for my time and money.
  • Flaricus
    Flaricus Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Doing the same thing, never spent a dime till I was with a top 10 coalition and wanted to keep that win streak up. Now that the rewards are not there, and my new coalition is slowly dwindling I am doing the same thing Babar is doing, play acouple rounds everyonce in a while, but gravitating somewhere else. The idea of (this may take weeks,) with no true statement has pushed me out the door. As being a member of 2 other forums for f2p games, this has the closest player base and the most distant dev team (holding out brigby for the most part.) I am going to hang around a few days, but am actively looking for a replacement match 3 game to take this games place.
  • Aairlon
    Aairlon Posts: 11
    Options
    I appreciate the point that you are making here, but the flaw that I see in this idea is how the bad publicity through word of mouth would be (Has been, and still is).

There are lot of players (new and veteran) who have been put off, or offended by this update. All of these people will likely, and have been spreading by word of mouth not to play the game, or putting a negative spin on it.

I think that this is a case of the loss of Brand loyalty to MTGPQ. For me Brand loyalty only lasts as long as the Brand is solid.

What has happened to an extent is considered by a lot of people to be a betrayal from MTGPQ

When that happens the question that starts being asked is,"If they did it once to the people who are established, what's to say they won't do it again to the next wave of players?"

This is what kills a game.