Speculation and questions about new scaling

Skrofa
Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I've seen around the forum speculation about the new scaling system.
It seems that the prevalent assumption is that scaling will be based on SCL.
What does this mean however?
Take for example the harder nodes. What will their levels be on scl7 and 8?

Around 250 for scl 7 and 350 for 8? Just spewing numbers here but I'll get to th point soon enough.

If the levels are too high, then 3-4* transitioners will have a lot of trouble competing for placement for that much sought for 4* cover.

Too low and it just won't be challenging/fun enough for some people.

In a pve format where speed and timing are of the utmost importance, scl based scaling could be a tricky thing to tackle with and implement right.

Right?

Comments

• cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know exactly what we've seen for speculation, but I really hope they don't add a harder scaling to SCL8. I like my scaling exactly how it is (I'm a 3-4* transitioner) and if it gets much harder, I don't think I'll even be able to hit progression. I don't even try for placement because it would just add stress.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    It'll be floors and caps on the nodes, plus your personal scaling will add to it.

So maybe hard nodes in 8 will start at 250 for everyone, then your usual scaling will be added to it, so 5* players will have their usual 440+.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Reference to the "speculation" from devs:

https://youtu.be/DHwwOZrq62Y?t=237
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    The current scaling should remain the same for SCL8 but lower for the other SCLs. If they make SCL7/8 harder then there will be a lot of backlash. Perhaps they will open SCL9 but with harder scaling.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    The key point, in my opinion, is the rewards have to be scaled accordingly. Otherwise, most people will drop a CL or two and clog up the lower CL instead. Frankly, it's already happening now where the most 'profitable SCL' is somewhere around SCL 5-7 depends on your roster (for 3*-4* transitioner).
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    In the video, the indicated that it would probably be the summer (at least) before the new scaling was introduced. They also mentioned that SCL 8 would "maybe" be for players with a well-developed 4* roster, but that sounded like speculation and it didn't sound like they've nailed anything down yet. If that's the case, it seems SCL 8 will be much harder than it is now, since I have no useable 4*s and can finish top 25 and, on rare occasion, top 10 in PvE in SCL8.

I, for one, would love to get some advance notice (say a month) before it goes live. I am currently selling off 5*s to avoid scaling and will stop doing so once the new scaling debuts (probably la couple of week before). Or maybe I should just go ahead and stop selling them now (I have just over half the 3*s champed with about 10 more to be champed in the coming month, so I more and more often have two or three boosted ones).

I am also concerned that the implementation could cause another firestorm.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    The current scaling should remain the same for SCL8 but lower for the other SCLs. If they make SCL7/8 harder then there will be a lot of backlash. Perhaps they will open SCL9 but with harder scaling.

Right now it's by roster. If they change it to SCL based scaling it will be harder for some and easier for some. For example someone with a 5* roster would likely find SCL based scaling for SCL8 easier. However I have people in my alliance who have no 4* champs and only a handful of 3*s that are in the SCL7/8 range. They would likely find it too hard and have to drop down lower.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    broll wrote:

Right now it's by roster. If they change it to SCL based scaling it will be harder for some and easier for some. For example someone with a 5* roster would likely find SCL based scaling for SCL8 easier. However I have people in my alliance who have no 4* champs and only a handful of 3*s that are in the SCL7/8 range. They would likely find it too hard and have to drop down lower.

I just added my 3rd 4* champion (all right at 270) and that move, champing 3* Strange, and adding 3* Hawkguy....the only three real changes I've made recently...has driven up my scaling considerably.

We hear all the time about the 5* scaling issues, but let me tell you, if you've got a large roster with 5* not leveled (except a 285 OML), 3 4* Champions, all 3* champions (except Thanos and Hawkguy, and only Thor above level 200), and a 2* farm, you are going to run into scaling issues that limit the amount of characters you can use as well.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Well, scalling according to roster is nonsense - with it there is no reward for building stronger roster.
    Scalling according to clearance levels may be good, but rewards needs to be changed so they will reflect the required challenge.
  • arcath
    arcath Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    broll wrote:

I just got all my 2*s championed and my first 3* champion. I also JUST opened up SCL7 for the rocket/groot event.

I would for sure have to drop down to 5-6 if that happened.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    yeah, the way the new system was described, if the scaling gets too hard, you just drop down a clearance level and get easier scaling.

The trick will be setting the rewards to match the scaling. I'll have most of the 4 stars champed by this summer, but if CL 7/8 are scaled above me and all i can expect from doing well in PVE is 3 stars... icon_mad.gif
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    I think they should scale by cl and lock out roster by cl. So let's say cl 6 you can only use 3* and below. Cl8 4* and below cl 9 anything.

This of course would have to make them change the required nodes and stuff, but it would be fairer for everyone and allow 5* players to drop down and have more fun with their 4*.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope that it isn't completely scaled by SCL as this would basically be an additional punishment to the people that have already suffered from RNG hating them, currently the person that has had a lot of bad luck when it comes to 5* draws can still compete in pve even if they cannot readily do so in pvp.

The level of challenge should be similar for everyone in an SCL and the benefits from a 5* roster should come from being able to compete in pvp on top of this rather than it automatically entitling them to dominate both pve and pvp.
  • Andre_Leca_89
    Andre_Leca_89 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Well right now I have seven 4* champions.

my highest enemie level is 320 I rarely have a 4* boosted and I play SCL7 if the new scaling comes in and it gives me around the same scaling I won't cry about it.

I've adapted to my scaling and I still managed to finish top 5/10 in PVE
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have to say I think I'd prefer sticking with the current system. Even being still solidly in 2* land, I can usually get top 100 finishes and all the progression rewards at SCL7 PvE. If scaling goes to where the hard nodes are starting at Lvl 250 for SCL7, I'm going to have to drop way down.

Especially for ones with multiple Maggia Muscle. I can't even reliably beat those at like level 110 icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I just hope that i no longer feel like I'm being punished for having a 5* roster. My scaling in PVE makes me slower and weaker than when I had a 4* roster. I seriously hope that my matches are faster and I actually feel stronger.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    dan54321 wrote:
    I just hope that i no longer feel like I'm being punished for having a 5* roster. My scaling in PVE makes me slower and weaker than when I had a 4* roster. I seriously hope that my matches are faster and I actually feel stronger.
    Remember what game you are playing.

You're not allowed to have an easy time in MPQ, you might feel you no longer need to spend.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Crowl wrote:
    I hope that it isn't completely scaled by SCL as this would basically be an additional punishment to the people that have already suffered from RNG hating them, currently the person that has had a lot of bad luck when it comes to 5* draws can still compete in pve even if they cannot readily do so in pvp.

The level of challenge should be similar for everyone in an SCL and the benefits from a 5* roster should come from being able to compete in pvp on top of this rather than it automatically entitling them to dominate both pve and pvp.
    But on the flip side, someone that has had good luck (or just spends/plays a lot) on their 5* draws should be able to compete in both PvP and PvE too, right?

I have a diverse 5* roster that tops out at 465 and for me to crack T10 requires better than optimal play. I need to time my clears down to within a 5 minute window, and use boosts to avoid leaving points on the table if I run into a bad board that really slows me down. I don't want a handout, but I definitely feel handicapped under the current system.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

But on the flip side, someone that has had good luck (or just spends/plays a lot) on their 5* draws should be able to compete in both PvP and PvE too, right?

I have a diverse 5* roster that tops out at 465 and for me to crack T10 requires better than optimal play. I need to time my clears down to within a 5 minute window, and use boosts to avoid leaving points on the table if I run into a bad board that really slows me down. I don't want a handout, but I definitely feel handicapped under the current system.

Your point would actually only be on the flipside if I had stated that 5* rosters should continue to be penalised for their good luck with harsh scaling, I stated that the level of challenge should be similar for everyone in an SCL, that seems like a fair approach given that two people with a similar level will have actually played or paid similar amounts and the difference in their rosters would actually be how much they suffered or benefited from rng.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I did think this was good until it was pointed out by an alliance mate that this will just cause 4* and 5* players to jump into lower SCL's just to hoover up the good prizes even moreso than they do already.