Heroics PVE - please lock out 5* from them

elvy75
elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
So after two heroics that ran with completely open roster, i came to following conclusions:
1. opening roster was great for majority of player base as they were struggling with the limited rosters they were given each heroic
2. opening roster was terrible for people in 5* land who saw heroics as the only chance of playing with something else than 5*

with that said, in order to make heroics enjoyable for both type of players, simple solution would be to just limit rosters to 1-4* and completely lock out 5* from them. I hope devs will take this into consideration, since its an easy fix and the one that would benefit us all.

Comments

• The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Hey man, don't you mess with my OML/Thano5 trivial team.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards

Which is overkill for trivials as Thanos3 does just a good of a job.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I miss the old heroics and trying to find the new combinations and having to be creative vs brute rote force. The variety while occasionally frustrating overall was a positive
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Another option would be to have roster limits that change with SCL, culminating in old format at cl8.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Daiches wrote:

Which is overkill for trivials as Thanos3 does just a good of a job.

Almost, but it's the 5* match damage that speeds up the second and third nodes.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    no need to do extra programing. the simplest solution is to leave it the way it is and for the player to choose who they want their team to be. just don't choose a 5*'s. i really don't like limiting my choices, let me choose which team combo i want to play.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    no need to do extra programing. the simplest solution is to leave it the way it is and for the player to choose who they want their team to be. just don't choose a 5*'s. i really don't like limiting my choices, let me choose which team combo i want to play.

The problem with that is that players with champed 5*s then have scaling based off of those 5*s which means as a practical point they can only use 5*s.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip wrote:

The problem with that is that players with champed 5*s then have scaling based off of those 5*s which means as a practical point they can only use 5*s.

it a better challenge for you, and there was nothing in this post about them having to re-code scaling, it's post about banning 5*'s.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    The change is horrible. Just remove restrictions based on SCL (1-5 no restriction).
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    revskip wrote:

it a better challenge for you, and there was nothing in this post about them having to re-code scaling, it's post about banning 5*'s.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a 5* player. I have 14 champed 4*s and have not leveled any 5*s.

That said... from my understanding, 5* players end up facing scaling with level 500+ opponents on the harder nodes. A level 400 4* isn't going to cut it with the way exponential scaling works. There is no challenge: Play only boosted 4*s and you're going to lose if you're in 5* scaling.

Honestly, I prefer limited rosters in Heroic events, even when the available characters "suck" or don't have synergy. The nodes even for a primarily 4* player are nowhere near as harsh, so as long as one or two boosted 3*s or 4*s do decent damage with an ability or two, I'd MUCH rather have part of my roster locked.

I see nothing wrong with allowing 5* players from playing with a wider range of their roster instead of either smashing their faces in with "a better challenge for them" or always having to keep using their 2-4 characters. It's nothing to do with the scaling formula at all; if you lock out their 5*s, they can use something besides those 5*s and still have a prayer.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had an idea where you could choose, on entering the event, to exclude 5*, and limit scaling based on that exclusion. Or you could exclude 5* but keep the scaling, with a n% boost to your points, that percentage depending somehow on the scaling level difference.

Probably unworkable.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip wrote:

Doesn't actually affect me at all. I'm not a 5* player and don't plan to be for quite a while. I'm still very much in the 4* transition and from everything I've heard anecdotally that is the place to be.

It does seem rough though that the people who have spent the most time or money on the game have a much harder time in heroics than the people who were helped out by the changes to remove character restrictions. Just because a problem doesn't affect me doesn't mean I can't have empathy for those that it does affect.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I had an idea where you could choose, on entering the event, to exclude 5*, and limit scaling based on that exclusion. Or you could exclude 5* but keep the scaling, with a n% boost to your points, that percentage depending somehow on the scaling level difference.

Probably unworkable.
    prior to the change scaling in heroics was based on the available heroes
    if 5's were locked scaling would still do that
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:

Probably unworkable.
    prior to the change scaling in heroics was based on the available heroes
    if 5's were locked scaling would still do that

Yes it would. They would have to change the code to give you the choice. That's the part I'm saying is probably unworkable in a feeble attempt to get the devs to show that they have 1337 skillz and do it. Next up, the double dare.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    revskip wrote:

By excluding 5*s, you eliminate the punishing PvE scaling that comes with having 5*s - it's part and parcel.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I've been assured by a 5* player that Heroics running roughly one out of every 5 events is just "now and then". If that's the case, then I don't know why 5* players would have anything to whine about, since they dominate every other aspect of the game.

But I disagree with that player; I think every 5th PvE is a big deal for any player. So I agree - restricting rosters to 4* and below (and scaling them accordingly) would solve the problem nicely. Min-maxers could use their optimal 4*s to crush the nodes and take the top placements, while other 5* players could use whatever 4* and below characters they want and have a break from the grind of 5* PvE.

I don't see a downside for anyone, really (unless you are a closet min-maxer who just wants to have fun). If you just want to run an interesting team, you could even use the behemoth burrito team of the day to make things more of a fun challenge.