I narrowed down the game crashing bug on Android

IlyaF
IlyaF Posts: 47
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok I think I finally discovered something useful. You all know the drill - you start a pvp battle and it crashes right away. You "lose" so you are down health and points. Incredibly annoying.

Long ago I noticed that it crashes a lot when using WiFi, it's a lot better on data. And strangely it crashes when the data connection is bad even if it's using WiFi.

Today I am at a remote location that has really bad cellular connection but good wifi. My game was crashing literally every time, even though I was on wifi. I turned off data connection and voila - no more crashes.

To turn off cellular connection on Android:

- go to settings
- go to data usage
- flip the "cellular data" switch

No idea how to do it on iPhone. Maybe someone can add.

Do this when you play MPQ and see if that helps with crashes. This obviously won't work when you don't have Wi-Fi.

My theory is that there's some event that the game receives when cell connection is bad, which the game can't process and crashes. Devs, please look into this. Should be reproducible anywhere with bad internet connection.

Hope it helps.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    IlyaF wrote:
    Ok I think I finally discovered something useful. You all know the drill - you start a pvp battle and it crashes right away. You "lose" so you are down health and points. Incredibly annoying.

Long ago I noticed that it crashes a lot when using WiFi, it's a lot better on data. And strangely it crashes when the data connection is bad even if it's using WiFi.

Today I am at a remote location that has really bad cellular connection but good wifi. My game was crashing literally every time, even though I was on wifi. I turned off data connection and voila - no more crashes.

To turn off cellular connection on Android:

- go to settings
    - go to data usage
    - flip the "cellular data" switch

No idea how to do it on iPhone. Maybe someone can add.

Do this when you play MPQ and see if that helps with crashes. This obviously won't work when you don't have Wi-Fi.

My theory is that there's some event that the game receives when cell connection is bad, which the game can't process and crashes. Devs, please look into this. Should be reproducible anywhere with bad internet connection.

Hope it helps.

I don't think there's "a" bug that causes crashes. That might be one, but the crashes are a plague across platforms, and at least one of them doesn't have data to worry about.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Considering I get crashes when playing on Steam, I doubt this is a catch-all fix.
    Though it'll certainly help a bunch of people, I'm sure =)
  • IlyaF
    Sure it's probably not the only crash causing bug but I think fixing it would put a big dent in the number of crashes.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    i play on steam with wired internet and still get the crash bug
    so wifi has nothing to do with it
    try again

this is the only game I play on PC but have had no significant crash problems on XBone (Mass Effect 3 and Various streaming services)
  • IlyaF
    I get that there's a problem on steam that this solution won't help. I don't have a solution for that. But vast majority of players of this game are mobile players (this was confirmed by devs) so I think this would help a lot of the players experiencing crashes.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    i play mostly on my tablet that only uses wifi, and game still crashes, so wifi only is not the solution. but good wifi vs bad wifi for me had only difference in lagging of the rewards if the wifi was bad. if the game was crashing it always happened while the board is loading and wifi had never anything to do with it. i wish it was that easy to solve this as simply turning off the mobile data, however i am glad it worked for you, it might work for someone else too.
  • IlyaF
    I've seen crashes on my WiFi only tablet too over the years, but not nearly as often. This problem with bad cell data causing frequent crashes is much more common in my experience.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Appreciate you trying.

For me, I've noticed that the game crashes when the Play Store has updates for other things waiting. Like it messes with the data flow of the game.

I'd say 10 out of 10 times when I've had a crash I check and sure enough there are updates waiting to be installed for various things.

I'm on a Nexus 5X that handles the game great... except for the crashes.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I still get these crashes on a daily basis. I'm not an android user. The problem is definitely not on my side, no matter how often they tell me to check my connections when I file a bug report. It's ALWAYS at the start of a match when the board settles.