Is MPQ having a major update like MtGPQ causing riots?

Ejmoose
Ejmoose Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So they have tried to do an overhaul on the currency system of MtGPQ to make it "more fair" for all players. So for the backlash from the MtGPQ community has been fairly negative to the point of boycotts and long term members quiting the game.

I was wondering if this is/ or has ever been an issue with MPQ? You're community has been fairly well grouped and seem to be happy with your game at this point. I just don't want to see another game die out like ATPQ. Any advice you can give is helpful. And yes I know they are the same publisher but different developers but still curious as to how well you are being looked after

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    We are not being looked after particularly well and the most recent change had the forum exploding.

However the devs managed to develop enough features to keep the angry mob still playing.

The last rage quitting was a while back (could be over a year now) when they have nerfed characters that were dominating the meta. Since the it's complains every week but people keep playing even when complains are being ignored.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everyone quit when they nerfed Spiderman.
    Everyone quit when they nerfed Thirverine.
    Everyone quit when they nerfed Ragnarok
    Everyone quit when they nerfed XForce
    Everyone quit when they nerfed Sentry
    Everyone quit when they nerfed Thoress

We also all quit when they nerfed true healing, when they changed scaling, when they released 5 stars, when they changed MMR, when they got rid of cupcakes and when they changed the way PvE points were generated.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ejmoose wrote:
    So they have tried to do an overhaul on the currency system of MtGPQ to make it "more fair" for all players. So for the backlash from the MtGPQ community has been fairly negative to the point of boycotts and long term members quiting the game.

I was wondering if this is/ or has ever been an issue with MPQ? You're community has been fairly well grouped and seem to be happy with your game at this point. I just don't want to see another game die out like ATPQ. Any advice you can give is helpful. And yes I know they are the same publisher but different developers but still curious as to how well you are being looked after

I don't think people are rioting and rage-quitting yet. People are very upset at the developers though.

They just implemented two big changes to the game they they tried to package as one big change (highlighting the first knowing that's the one people would praise).

1. Bonus Heroes - very well received. Pretty much allows you a very small chance of pulling an extra cover from a pool of characters you select.

2. Vaulting about 70% of the characters in the game - this is what is angering people. Many people interested in leveling up characters that they have been working on for years now have limited means of doing so. People at every stage of the game from newbie to transitioner to longtime vet has talked about how this change adversely affects them. People are mad and rightfully so based on messages we've gotten that stage a diverse roster is important, leveling up everyone is important (but now we're restricting means to do so).

So far from customer service we've gotten "we're looking into your feedback". I don't know if you all have gotten as much, but I think people are sticking around mostly to see if the developers will in fact listen to their customer base and undo vaulting.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Ejmoose wrote:

I don't think people are rioting and rage-quitting yet. People are very upset at the developers though.

They just implemented two big changes to the game they they tried to package as one big change (highlighting the first knowing that's the one people would praise).

1. Bonus Heroes - very well received. Pretty much allows you a very small chance of pulling an extra cover from a pool of characters you select.

2. Vaulting about 70% of the characters in the game - this is what is angering people. Many people interested in leveling up characters that they have been working on for years now have limited means of doing so. People at every stage of the game from newbie to transitioner to longtime vet has talked about how this change adversely affects them. People are mad and rightfully so based on messages we've gotten that stage a diverse roster is important, leveling up everyone is important (but now we're restricting means to do so).

So far from customer service we've gotten "we're looking into your feedback". I don't know if you all have gotten as much, but I think people are sticking around mostly to see if the developers will in fact listen to their customer base and undo vaulting.

However on the flip side of this annoyance many have understood why sorting out the diluted token pool was necessary. In the long term other than roster diversity issue it will see a rotation of what people play with but in the short term who you're currently working on may have taken a hit. Although currency in games is generally a no no for amending when hero points were devalued and cp introduced the forum was up in arms and it was only the creation of legendary tokens that eased that pain.

The bonus heroes concept was good but too low a chance to make it a viable solution.

Perhaps they should have made it so you could select three bonus heroes per tier and have a 5 to 10% chance of pulling them as a bonus but they are also in the token along with the latest Heroes.

I think on mpq the developers are fairly good at understanding what may cause an issue with players and try their best to mitigate that with a good feature at the same time albeit usually need a tweak to offset the larger negative.

E.g. complaints about the same old pve. Venom bomb introduced, everyone hates symbiotes and carnage nodes are impossible, nerf to carnage for pve nodes
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    There's a fundamental difference between both games.

MPQ is fairly fun, playable and enough balanced and diverse, you actually enjoy playing the game itself. MTGPQ on the other hand has been broken for months, either by oppresive cards (Undergrowth champion, runaway carriage, Olivia, etc.), offensive bugs that actually crash your game or don't let you play properly (devour in flames, support display bug), and a meta that favours board ramp into winfinite combos over strategy. I stopped playing when they released Kaladesh and only started doing a few quick battles again a couple of weeks ago. Then over a week ago I ran into a Kiora deck with chief of compliance that went into absolute winfinite. Haven't played again since then. That **** of game is broken and provides an awful gaming experience.

Players complain all the time when changes are announced but if the actual game is enjoyable then they'll keep playing. Give them an awful player experience like the one MTGPQ currently offers and they'll stop playing no matter how nice the changes announced on forum are (which from what I've heard, they aren't).