Translations

NighteyesGrisu
NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
While I do generally appreciate it when companies make the effort to translate their game, I think the language shouldn't be 'forced'.

Right now, the language is set with the OS (at least on android) which makes it impossible to switch to the original language myself..

it's just that many things are only halfway translated, which leads to switching of language in mid sentence etc....Furthermore some things lose a lot in translation.

For example the hollowpoint kiss was translated to german as 'Kuss des Todes'. While that conveys the gist of things, the original is much more elegant, IMHO.

and now they're even involuntarily (I guess) comic: Bad is Good was only halfway translated to 'Bad is Gut'...Funny thing being, Bad means Bath in german...perhaps they just wanted to give me a hint? icon_e_wink.gif

In any case: It would be nice to have a option to select the desired language...

Comments

• I'm curious, can someone tell me how many languages this is translated to?
  • NighteyesGrisu
    I guess there's a fair number of translations...but since we can't choose the language there's no way of finding out icon_e_wink.gif
  • viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1514

It's a few months old, so I don't know if that counts as duplicate thread.
  • I second this. Beinga ably to change the language would be great.

I'm playing on a german device, too and would love to switch the game to english. Some skill descriptions are old, not reflecting recent changes, outright wrong or cut off in the middle of a sentence. Example: Until recently, Spider-Man's Web Bandages said the heal the team for 100 points for every two web tiles on the board. This text was displayed regardless of Spideys level. it seems to be "fixed" now, as the skill now displays the correct discription - but it does so in English.

I'm not even getting starting with half translated event dialogue and badly translated puns.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    Another great translation: Schmetterschlag icon_lol.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's like Diablo 2, innit?
    Almost so bad it's good.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Is it supposed to be Smash Hit?
    LMAO!
  • NighteyesGrisu
    locked wrote:
    Is it supposed to be Smash Hit?
    LMAO!

Indeed it is...if you literally translate both words it's actually quite correct, but it sounds extremely silly in german. And it looks a bit like Schmetterling which would be Butterfly....not exactly the first image that comes to mind when thinking of the hulk...

float like a butterfly, sting like a huge, enraged green thing
  • It's the same with Italian language, from time to time you get unfinished sentences. And what's even worst, sometimes the translation is misleading as it doesn't reflect the ability effect.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    so the latest PVE has gotten me to resurrect this thread.

Again translations are only done half-way...in the cutscenes with sentry half the time he speaks english, half the time german....which is kinda annoying...

and translating puns just doesn't work. leave it be.

example:
    prodigal sun -> Die verlorene Sonne
    While "Der verlorene Sohn" is the german translation to the parable of the prodigal son, the pun just doesn't work in german. Sonne and Sohn sound very differently, not to speak of the switched gender at the start...

reminds me of Spaceballs where the 'jammed' radar was translated literally (radar mit marmelade beworfen -> they threw jam at our radar)...which completely lost the pun. At least they were sensible enough to not even try translating 'giving me the raspberry'
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    so the latest PVE has gotten me to resurrect this thread.

Again translations are only done half-way...in the cutscenes with sentry half the time he speaks english, half the time german....which is kinda annoying...

and translating puns just doesn't work. leave it be.

example:
    prodigal sun -> Die verlorene Sonne
    While "Der verlorene Sohn" is the german translation to the parable of the prodigal son, the pun just doesn't work in german. Sonne and Sohn sound very differently, not to speak of the switched gender at the start...

reminds me of Spaceballs where the 'jammed' radar was translated literally (radar mit marmelade beworfen -> they threw jam at our radar)...which completely lost the pun. At least they were sensible enough to not even try translating 'giving me the raspberry'
    That's what you get when your budget only makes google translate affordable.
    Because anything more would cut into possible profits.

And obviously they even ran out of money while only using google translate since they only bothered with half the lines.