Vaulting of Characters and Ultron

Argon Flame
Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Like many of you I have been trying to understand how the Vaulting of Characters is being taken forward by the Devs.

My Alliance has just hit Round 7 of Ultron and I was casually whittling him down as I had previous rounds.
Then a bomb slipped through and Downed my previously undamaged character.
I was a little surprised at the damage ramp and then I looked at my roster's best options for taking him down without burning through health packs: Hulkbuster and that was it.

Then I thought how do the Devs intend players, under the Vault system to compete at Ultron (unless that is the crux of it).

Boosted 4-stars for the Event:
Agent Coulson - freshly minted, who can really have him covered/champed and ready to stop Ultron, also: Countdown tiles?!
Mile Morales - Vaulted, relies on tiles sticking around and has a stun that does nothing.
Captain Marvel - Not Vaulted - countdown tiles again for damage
Deadpool XForce - Vaulted - useful but perhaps too slow for ultron
Sam Wilson - Vaulted - Tiles!
IM Hulkbuster - Vaulted - Go Red or be dead.

Now I know much is made about the "playtesting", or lack thereof, of boss events but I'm going to hope that for future events viable teams and characters are considered.

Comments

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Xpool is perfect for Ultron.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I'm using my recently champed Carol to get me by in Round 7. Her black followed by her yellow is knocking off 23k health. Not sure how I'm going to beat round 8.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xpool is good, as is Mr. F! Also characters that make you invisible could be helpful, if you fire off their power at the right time. And GR, or at least the GR TU.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    A perfectly timed IW is great, but easily knocked out if you can't get the timing right.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy wrote:
    A perfectly timed IW is great, but easily knocked out if you can't get the timing right.

Venom would be the same from a non vaulted pool of characters.

It's a good point though as unless you've got the heavy weights if the current 12 is lacking then you'll struggle to have the right team for boss fights.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards

XFDP has easily been the star of my roster in this event, get his purple countdowns out and let Ultron nuke himself instead.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obligatory "You're supposed to lose" post.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    in round 5 using HB,X-23 and 3 Star Carol (current Levels Carol Smashes Red and Yellow)
    let Carol or X-23 Take the bombs where possible (carol gains red, X-23 has regeneration)
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    One of the best things about Ultron is that if you're careful, a three star roster can take him down fairly easily. Since his levels are set (and he generally doesn't do much match damage), you can use your 3 stars without necessarily having to worry about them not being able to last because of scaling. At least in the main nodes. I'm still rocking IM40, GSBW, Lazy Cap in Round 6 and I've yet to lose a single character in any boss match.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    One of the best things about Ultron is that if you're careful, a three star roster can take him down fairly easily. Since his levels are set (and he generally doesn't do much match damage), you can use your 3 stars without necessarily having to worry about them not being able to last because of scaling. At least in the main nodes. I'm still rocking IM40, GSBW, Lazy Cap in Round 6 and I've yet to lose a single character in any boss match.

Along the lines of the Lazy Cap, members of my alliance have been using Starlord’s purple to good effect. At five covers, he can overwrite 3 bombs while you gather red for one of the boosted heavy hitters.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm with the OP, I don't know where I'd be without champed Hulkbuster. I'm feeding him black with Iron Fist and red with 3Cyclops for fast knockouts, but every other combo I've tried is a gamble. 3-star board manipulators can get it done; I've had some luck with GSBW, Qsilver, 3Cap, Hood... but I've had them go down too when I can't get the AP in time before those bombs go off. One thing I can say is that a champed 3Thanos has been essential to me in taking out those *tinykitty* sentries.

But I like this event. I'm having fun.
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I'm glad that XPDP is so useful in this event, it's a shame that the new vaulting system has made it even harder to max and champ him.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm glad that XPDP is so useful in this event, it's a shame that the new vaulting system has made it even harder to max and champ him.

Has it?

If he is your only featured 4 star you can actually max and champ him quicker.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

XFDP has easily been the star of my roster in this event, get his purple countdowns out and let Ultron nuke himself instead.

This. I've often beaten him without taking damage. My Champed XPool Purple does 3.5k each. I love it when Ultron blows up the bottom row and takes 2-4 bombs to the face.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:

Has it?

You think so? A 5% drop chance is good odds? And even then you can get screwed with 5 covers.

I wish they did with Heroics what they did with Standards. Get a 4* from a heroic, auto bonus cover.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Eddiemon wrote:

Has it?

You think so? A 5% drop chance is good odds? And even then you can get screwed with 5 covers.

I wish they did with Heroics what they did with Standards. Get a 4* from a heroic, auto bonus cover.

Statistically, yes it is easier. Remember that the issue isn't about champing one character (that's easier and faster now), it's about trying to champ multiple characters (which is slower because the best way to do them is one after the other instead of all in parallel).