New Event type idea

A_McB
A_McB Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
I have an idea for a new event type.

It would be similar to the Ultron/Civil War/Galactus style where there is a boss, then a required character mission, then boss again. Boss battle refreshes after 8 hours, or when a required character mission is complete. Required character missions refresh every 8 hours. It would also be alliance ranked. It would also be kind of like the events where a 2*, 3* and 4* are required.

The difference here is that the required character would be used in all the slots. The theme could be that the Time Gem was used to pull characters from different points in their past and make them fight together. For example, It would have iron man mark 35, mark 40 and mark 46 or all hulks/spideys/marvels/etc. If the player doesn't have all the covers, they can fight with one or 2 characters that round. It would promote having full rosters and not dropping characters to meet a daily objective. A bonus damage multiplier could be added when all 3 slots are filled with the required character.

The neat thing here would be that in some cases, the AP would be useful to abilities on multiple characters, so more strategic planning would be needed.

The boss could be Thanos and rewards could be his 3/5 star covers, depending on the level the alliance wins. Progression awards could be the mid tier covers of the required characters.

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think big problem with that is that few characters would synergize well with themselves. Look at Cap, who uses Red, Blue, Yellow at every level. There's no reason not to just use the skill that does the most damage always. 2* Cap is just irrelevantly weak 3* cap. And if you have a fully leveled 5* cap, that just makes the 3* irrelevant. Sure, there are a few outliers. IM40 to charge up Hulkbuster would be fine. But, most combinations would just be letting the one with the highest level do all the work and letting the other two watch.
  • A_McB
    The fact that they do not synergize is what makes this event tougher. And for the higher star character lugging the weight, it is meant to give "younger" rosters more of a chance to use the lower, higher covered characters, as they race to get more higher * covers. Also, by having all the slots filled in your roster, I've suggested that the team get a power-up bonus (effectively making the lower * covers meaningful) for that battle. In terms of gameplay, it decentivizes dropping lower * covers for higher * ones, meaning that more slots would need to be purchased (should be appealing for game devs) and reduces the meaninglessness of getting those lower * covers all the time without a purpose for them.

Finally, as far as the writing is concerned, I think it would lend to an interesting story seeing the characters meet themselves, play out.

I'm not suggesting this idea is perfect, but personally I like seeing new stories come around, particularly this story type, because it helps shield points and are typically easier to play without spending 5+ hours a day.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, I think the idea of bringing three versions of Steve Rogers to the same fight is a horrible one.

But the idea of 5* cover rewards is brilliant!
  • A_McB
    Oh, and the lower * covers can be buffed using the "featured character" to make all the star levels relavent