Daylight Saving Time begins

matthatter
matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
This Sunday, 3/12/17, we here in the States lose an hour of sleep... and grind time. My daily rewards will come an hour later every day for roughly the next 6 mos.

If we are going to have a special event, or something for the release of the new 5 star.png character, is there anyway you can take this in to consideration with the scheduling?

Comments

• huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    This has been botched several times in a row now. Maybe ask the devs to double and triple check their DST prep this time around, pretty please? I know I have calendar reminders set up for all the software teams I manage to verify job schedules, etc.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far I can recall, daylight savings time doesn't effect the length of events, they only shift the start times after daylight savings has gone into effect.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daylight Savings starts in March and ends in the fall
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    It is also not plural.

The time shifts to increase daylight in evening hours, not to stockpile it as an asset.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Sorry about the fact that my obvious ignorance about how Daylight Saving (singular, not plural) Time works totally negated what I thought was a completely legitimate question.
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    matthatter wrote:
    Sorry about the fact that my obvious ignorance about how Daylight Saving (singular, not plural) Time works totally negated what I thought was a completely legitimate question.

My apologies. I had no intention of invalidating the question, as I have no authority to answer it. I also was not attempting to disparage anyone, but I can see how it may be taken that way, so I regret not phrasing my statement more politely and less recriminating.

The good news is no events or sub events are starting or ending during this period, so the usual concerns of playing too early or too late should not be an issue outside of perhaps shield duration.

But your question raises an interesting point now that we know Ultron will be running during this period. Will an hour actually be lost from an event that is so tightly tied to an eight hour cycle, and if so, where?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    F.A.Q

Bonus Hour System

Q: What is a Bonus Hour?

A: Every time the time changes, you will have a chance (50% for PvEs and 80% for PvPs) to get (or lose) a Bonus Hour. When you get a Bonus Hour, you will receive (or lose) an additional hour of playtime, which may or may not be reflected in the current event timer.

This adds an exciting level of unpredictability to both PvE and PvP events!

*Adding Note To Signify This Is Sarcasm, And Not Official Content/Information
    -Brigby
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    F.A.Q

Bonus Hour System

Q: What is a Bonus Hour?

A: Every time the time changes, you will have a chance (50% for PvEs and 80% for PvPs) to get (or lose) a Bonus Hour. When you get a Bonus Hour, you will receive (or lose) an additional hour of playtime, which may or may not be reflected in the current event timer.

This adds an exciting level of unpredictability to both PvE and PvP events!

When did they post this? Last time we gained an hour, I thought it was a new release or some other top tier 4* bc I remember being pissed that I timed my grind right and finished on time. Then the server gained another hour... so all the late start grinders who wouldn't have made it, got an extra hour
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    687474703a2f2f7777772e616c6c6f6666746f7069632e636f6d2f706963747572652e7068703f616c62756d69643d3130267069637475726569643d313334
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    As far I can recall, daylight savings time doesn't effect the length of events, they only shift the start times after daylight savings has gone into effect.

If you play in slice 5 (especially in the Central and/or Eastern Time zones), you can either gain an hour or lose it at the very end of a slice. And when I say at the very end, I mean it'll say you have X amount of time, but when the clock changes the amount of time you have also changes. It also once screwed me up because I thought I had an hour more than I did for DDQ.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    All joking aside,

I don't think DST will actually affect Ultron event. Typically, what they've done in the past is adjust the the start time of the next event/sub to match up with the traditional time slots.

But in Ultron, the board never changes, and the clock effectively runs continously. So the refreshes will still happen every 8hrs. What you will see happen is that if your expecting nodes to unlock at 1pm, then after DST the node will unlock at 2pm (according to your watch). But if your timing your cycles based on a 8hr countdown clock then the node will open up as expected.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Twysta wrote:
    687474703a2f2f7777772e616c6c6f6666746f7069632e636f6d2f706963747572652e7068703f616c62756d69643d3130267069637475726569643d313334

Lol got me. Sadly I wouldn't put it past d3 to put some random **** like that up after everyone submits cs tickets every time the time changes
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe they will vault an hour!

But this also got me thinking. If they change the timers to suit the us DST this means that Europe will be offset for an hour for three weeks until we do our DST as well
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa wrote:
    If they change the timers to suit the us DST this means that Europe will be offset for an hour for three weeks until we do our DST as well
    Yes.
    This has always been the case the last years.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Skrofa wrote:
    Maybe they will vault an hour!

But this also got me thinking. If they change the timers to suit the us DST this means that Europe will be offset for an hour for three weeks until we do our DST as well

That's usually what happens when UK/Europe go forward/back first.
  • Quebbster
    I tend to enjoy the shifted end times. They work much better for me than the regular end times.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Our DST ends 2nd April. PVE Slice 5 ending at 8 pm (best time ever) becomes 7 pm for 3 weeks then 6 pm. Time to change slices for something only slightly less inconvenient.

What would be nice is if the times didn't change with DST in the One True Time Zone. Share the pain. And we wouldn't get the unacknowledged problems that came with the last few changes.
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    As a Slice 5 British player, can anyone please tell me how I'll be affected by our clocks going forward at 1AM tomorrow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as missing an hour of grind or staring too early is going to be devastating for placement in a disastrously timed NEW RELEASE EVENT!
  • Quebbster
    Freelancer wrote:
    As a Slice 5 British player, can anyone please tell me how I'll be affected by our clocks going forward at 1AM tomorrow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as missing an hour of grind or staring too early is going to be devastating for placement in a disastrously timed NEW RELEASE EVENT!
    The subs are all 24 hours, so they will end one hour later than today. It's back to the regular end times, basically. My sub ends at 5PM today and 6PM tomorrow.
    I do believe the game takes the time shift into account when it displays the event end time though.