Wave Node Clears for Max Progression

djpt05
djpt05 Posts: 178
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Is there a general consensus with the minimum number of wave node clears required for max progression in PVE events?

I posted this in the Enemy of the State thread as someone replied that 4 clears were necessary for wave nodes. That is going to put me well above max progression for the current run of the event.

However when I only cleared wave nodes twice during the last run of Strange Sights I didn't reach max progression. There was a lengthy thread about other people who also missed the mark during SS for the same reason but it was never formally addressed as an error by the devs.

So what's the deal?

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's supposed to be 4 clears of all nodes, waves included.

That said, progression for the last run of EotS was set at 138k, it's now set at 100k. So something changed. Either the points in the last 2 subs was drastically reduced, or they moved the goalposts again.
  • Bondidude
    Bondidude Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    djpt05 wrote:
    Is there a general consensus with the minimum number of wave node clears required for max progression in PVE events?

I posted this in the Enemy of the State thread as someone replied that 4 clears were necessary for wave nodes. That is going to put me well above max progression for the current run of the event.

However when I only cleared wave nodes twice during the last run of Strange Sights I didn't reach max progression. There was a lengthy thread about other people who also missed the mark during SS for the same reason but it was never formally addressed as an error by the devs.

So what's the deal?

The last time EotS was run progression was set too high and required 4x clears of all wave nodes (they calculated it based on 4x clears of each node). According to my sources who track this sort of thing it appears to have been fixed for this run.

Strange Sights was probably equally miscalculated and will be fixed in the next run.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

That said, progression for the last run of EotS was set at 138k, it's now set at 100k. So something changed. Either the points in the last 2 subs was drastically reduced, or they moved the goalposts again.

Do you have a source? Last time Eots was calculated at 4, they compensated those that did 2. As far as I know, they did not compensate those that did 2 during Strange.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Ruinate wrote:

Do you have a source? Last time Eots was calculated at 4, they compensated those that did 2. As far as I know, they did not compensate those that did 2 during Strange.

They didn't compensate Strange because Strange ran correctly, in their eyes.

Source: Conversation with one of the developers after the EotS debacle. The issue was not that they were calculated at 4, but that they were calculated at 4 w/o accounting for deterioration. I've been saying this for months but no one listens. icon_e_smile.gif
    Me: wait, so are the progression points calculated based on 4x waves also, even though you only clear 2 to start the timer?
    Them: correct
    Me: hmm...definitely not what I would've thought, it's been assumed starting the timers was sufficient. Is it then based on 4x wave full value, or does it account for the waves deteriorating?
    Them: You have uncovered what went wrong with eots icon_e_wink.gif the new progression targets take deteriorated points into account.

Later on in conversations with others it's mentioned that they would 'look at' changing it. They obviously didn't for recent Strange but it's possible that EotS was updated.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    My understanding: it's supposed to be 4 clears of everything, including required character pins. That will get you to max progression, or at least close enough such that a couple more pins will get you over the hump. The devs have stated - or at least strongly implied - that thisi is the general intent. BUT.... in practice the events weren't calibrated for wave nodes having only 2 clears before diminishing returns kick in, and events with wave nodes wound up implicitly requiring 4 full point clears of each wave node to get to max. Four clears of every normal and two clears of every wave in a given event would not get you to max progression.

I think some of the changes we're seeing to the max prog level reflect changes to accommodate the wave node differences.

Just my $.02!
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    the problem for saying "you need to clear wave nodes 4 times" is that they degrade in points after 2. If I played a wave node 4 times in a row, it would be worth very little at the end. But if I play the first 2 right away, and then play the last 2 at the last minute, that's more points. So, if anyone says to just play wave nodes 4 times, I would ask... do you have to play them ideally as well? Or can you get to max progression if you just play every wave node 4 times... period?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Crnch73 wrote:
    the problem for saying "you need to clear wave nodes 4 times" is that they degrade in points after 2. If I played a wave node 4 times in a row, it would be worth very little at the end. But if I play the first 2 right away, and then play the last 2 at the last minute, that's more points. So, if anyone says to just play wave nodes 4 times, I would ask... do you have to play them ideally as well? Or can you get to max progression if you just play every wave node 4 times... period?

When I did the math for the last run of Strange (found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59372&hilit=waves+strange#p637538), there was very little regeneration in the calculations.

So no, it shouldn't require optimal play.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope it's only two clears per wave node. Each clear takes around 5-10 minutes... it's exhausting, especially when I'm trying to cram in a few final clears right before going to bed.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I clear 4x hard, 6x easy, and 4x waves (immediately, not waiting for refresh). With a sub remaining, I'm almost at progression.

I think it was (correctly) set for 2x on waves, where the countdown starts.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:

any miscalculations in Strange Sights were much less significant (I played most of the third sub to Green Checks and made it easily)
    The miscalculation for the previous EOTS run was far more than just 4 clears all nodes (I did 4 clears on all nodes and was still way off)