A Bonus Hero/Vaulted Character Solution

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
So they like and want to implement vaulting.

about half of the community doesn't but they do. Since we may have to live with it I have thought of another suggestion to the issue.

Bonus heroes is not bad at all. It's quite nice getting stuff for free. The issue we have is a 5% chance of covering those old 4* is not that great (despite being better than the old odds anyway).

So change it, make the bonus hero rate for a 4* higher. 40% rate still means most of the time you will get nothing. However I think most people would be ok with all the changes including vaulting if the chance was 40%. You can keep the 5* rate the same just change the 4* rate - significantly. Adding an extra 1 or 2 % does nothing for those trying to build old characters.

That's my suggestion. It's free and (I think) it's awesome. It's also pretty easy to implement.

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Adding an extra 1 or 2 % does nothing for those trying to build old characters.

Devil's advocate; this is true but a 40% rate would be too much if you choose a latest 12 as your favorite. I think the idea works if you restrict the favorites to vaulted characters.

Without creating a new token, upping the chance at bonuses seems to be the best fix. So far I've only gotten one bonus 4* and it was from a heroic token
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was suggesting the same the other day. I think they need to increase bonus drop rate.

For heroics and event tokens - I suggest 50% or up. Your chance of getting a 4* covers is what? 6%? Giving it 50% or even 100% chance of being another 4* would not kill the economy. For CP pulls I would lower that to 10-15% on 4* and kept 5% on 5* (or upped to 10%).

In terms of 3* - the Elite pulls should probably be around 15-20% and heroics - a bit higher.

I would be fine if you can only favorite the older ones (outside of the vault) if that is regarded as a limitation to the better pull rates.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. I would increase the drop rate slightly

2. Remove the percentage decrease for adding multiple favorites of a tier.

3. Definitely increase the 5 star drop rate because we need something new at that tier.

4. Have heroic gives a chance for a 3 or 4 star even when pulling a 2 star. Likewise an elite 2 star pull also gives a chance for a 3 star. All LT pulls give a chance for a 4 or 5.

5. Make vault pulls count toward BH.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    my Possible Solutions:

Increase Bonus Hero rate to 25%
    OR
    Create a Legendary Token only for the vaulted 4*s (15 CP)
    OR
    Add 3 vaulted 4*s to the Classic token pool, which get rotated every week
    OR
    Improve the 20 item 4* vaults to be cheaper and more frequent
  • OneLastGambit
    Straycat wrote:
    Adding an extra 1 or 2 % does nothing for those trying to build old characters.

Devil's advocate; this is true but a 40% rate would be too much if you choose a latest 12 as your favorite. I think the idea works if you restrict the favorites to vaulted characters.

Without creating a new token, upping the chance at bonuses seems to be the best fix. So far I've only gotten one bonus 4* and it was from a heroic token

I can see where you're coming from here and concur that removing the ability to select one of the current 12 non-vaulted characters would fix that.

Even though the drop rate for a 4* (providing you have selected just one) is 5% (much greater than the odds of having the exact same thing happen in the old pool) I still feel like it's not quite good enough. Of course some will be like me (29 pulls and counting with no bonus 4*) and some will get them all the time. This is obviously because the odds are spread out over entire player base and not individually. I do think increasing those odds will satisfy just about everyone and decrease the amount of forum traffic discussing vaulting and bonus heroes. Hope fully something similar to what many of us have suggested is in the works.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I wish they would just add your favorite to the draw pool
  • Cdubb1975
    Cdubb1975 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Maybe they could just create a new token for the 4* that are not part of the newest 12?
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I'd be happy if they got rid of the whole bonus idea and gave us a flat 40% chance on any pull to have it pull from our list of favorites of the tier selected... I'd much prefer that over the current system (but OLG's suggestion of having our cake and eating it too is my first choice of course)

If I had the option of selecting a favorite character and thus skewing the % of my draw by 40% they can vault all they want, I don't even need a bonus character... if I had the option to knock it down to 20% and let me pick a character AND color for certain situations I wouldn't complain either...
  • OneLastGambit
    MissChinch wrote:
    I'd be happy if they got rid of the whole bonus idea and gave us a flat 40% chance on any pull to have it pull from our list of favorites of the tier selected... I'd much prefer that over the current system (but OLG's suggestion of having our cake and eating it too is my first choice of course)

If I had the option of selecting a favorite character and thus skewing the % of my draw by 40% they can vault all they want, I don't even need a bonus character... if I had the option to knock it down to 20% and let me pick a character AND color for certain situations I wouldn't complain either...

This is something I suggested in my other fix. Make the bonus cover that you pull be colourless thus solving the issue of useless dupe covers while still not giving player control of acquisition. I see this as a rational thing which should be implemented even if they don't like the idea of giving us morebonuses at least give us better qualitybonuses.
  • MissChinch
    You got me at 40%, I was reaching when I said 33% in one of the million earlier threads, but I'll be amenable to just about any kinda vaulting or denying of color choice if we can get to 40%... after that I'll be greedy and ask for things like color and better vault structures... but I'm in: 40% chance to draw from your favorite hero pool on each pull... make it happen icon_e_smile.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    MissChinch wrote:
    You got me at 40%, I was reaching when I said 33% in one of the million earlier threads, but I'll be amenable to just about any kinda vaulting or denying of color choice if we can get to 40%... after that I'll be greedy and ask for things like color and better vault structures... but I'm in: 40% chance to draw from your favorite hero pool on each pull... make it happen icon_e_smile.gif

The funny thing is that many people (probably devs and not players) will see 40% and say its too much but given the nature of random it wont suddenly flood the players with loads of covers it will likely still end up in streaks and troughs, they'll just be shorter.
  • MissChinch
    OneLastGambit wrote:

The funny thing is that many people (probably devs and not players) will see 40% and say its too much but given the nature of random it wont suddenly flood the players with loads of covers it will likely still end up in streaks and troughs, they'll just be shorter.

Oh I agree, but I meant a 40% chance to draw from my favorite pool and they can keep bonus heroes AND do all the vaulting they want...

but to shamelessly float out another idea... this whole vaulting thing is trying to address progression through the tiers, I'd love to see that handled with a different mechanic:
    To enable the 3 star transition, set the epic token chance to draw a 3* equal to 3x(number of unique 2*s you have championed)
    To enable the 4 star transition, set the heroic token chance to draw a 4* equal to the number of unique 3*s you have championed (maybe multiply a weigh in there if needed)
    To enable the 5 star transition, set the legendary token chance to draw a 5* to some fraction of number of unique 4*s you have championed.

Vaulting will just have people focused on a subset of the characters to make this transition happen, this pull chance based on roster would force a smoother curve, progression on **** heroes never wasted and let players explore much more variety at each tier... its silly that I can see 2* rosters working on championing all their 2*s that have apparently drawn a lucky (unlucky for them at this time) 5*...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem is like most fixes they do they over corrected. Was there a dilution problem with 40 4 star.pngs? Absolutely. But draining the pool down to 12 is too shallow. Keep the 12 and give us 5 slots to plug in our own choices. This raises the pool to 17 with each having a even 5% draw chance
    Or even fill all 5 slots with one character for a 25% boost
  • bbigler
    Even though the drop rate for a 4* (providing you have selected just one) is 5% (much greater than the odds of having the exact same thing happen in the old pool) I still feel like it's not quite good enough. Of course some will be like me (29 pulls and counting with no bonus 4*) and some will get them all the time. This is obviously because the odds are spread out over entire player base and not individually.

The "odds" are not spread out over the entire player base. Maybe this is just semantics...but a random number generator (small software function) spits out a "random" number whenever you pull a token, if that random number is within a certain range (like 1-5) then you get the BH. The 5% odds are per pull, not per person or per the entire player base.

So, since you've had a drought of getting BH, I would expect in the future that you would get a surplus. The laws of probability would indicate that the more pulls you take, the closer to 5% your BH rate would be. So, if you pulled 1000 tokens, you should be somewhat close to 5%, but small samples have no promise.
  • bbigler
    Wonko33 wrote:

They did, it's called a Bonus Hero.
  • bbigler
    Here's a novel idea: each player can choose the 12 x 4*s they want in their Legendary pool. So, if you're a whale and only need the new characters, then you can pick them. If you're normal, then you can choose whichever older 4*s you lack and want the most. This would solve the pool dilution problem and the vaulting problem at the same time. Plus......you can avoid the super lame characters (like Agent Venom) and not feel bad when you've spent precious CP to pull a cover you don't want.

The only down side to this is that everyone would have roughly the same rosters and PvP would be boring, but it's kinda like that now anyway.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    bbigler wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:

They did, it's called a Bonus Hero.

That's not what I am talking about, I know about the chance for a bonus but I am saying they should also add the favorites to the ones you have a chance to get just from the token
  • nickaraxnos
    nickaraxnos Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    I have read lot of solutions and problems can come with each.
    Tried to see the problem from both sides. As a player and as a dev.
    This is what i came up with.

1) Legendary Token with the latest covers and Bonus Heroes as is now but with 10% chance. Make that at a price of 30 cp. Why? Because with the new ddq old players with big rosters can get extra 2cp every day so they can afford the extra 5cp plus they won;t hoard too much. They obviously can be happy with the extra chance of getting a Bonus Hero of their choice plus the extra cost will separate them from other players

2) Classic Token with everything else WITHOUT Bonus Hero. Make that at price of 15-18 cp. Why? Because new players find it difficult to collect cp. It will be a good way to make the transition from 3* to 4* characters. Transitioning is more important than having new heroes. Old ones are capable to compete with new ones and they will still be a step behind older players. Think its fair.

3) Make a ddq once a week with only 4* required characters that will give as a reward a colorless cover. Now old players that will be getting a lot of duplicates can be happy and the devs won't give too much

4) About the iso problem. An easy fix is to give us the opportunity to reset every week the prologue stories. Let's say we pay 300hp and get a reset. Easy and fast iso, some hp and few 2* for more hp from farming

5) After the introduction of elite tokens, heroic is no more heroic. I can get 3* from elite easier than i can get them from heroic. So remove 2* from heroic. Leave the Bonus Hero from everyone at the same percentage as now (5%). With no 2* this actually get bigger than now and give the opportunity to those to buy only classics to have every now ant then some free covers and for those who buy latest to have even more chances