What team would you bring to a (blind) PvE event?

PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been impressed by the variety of teams I've seen people recommend, so I thought it might be fun to make a post considering a hypothetical MPQ situation:
1) It's a brand new PvE, hooray!
2) You have no idea what team composition you'll be fighting. It could be goons, all board movers, a mixture, wave node, etc. You don't get to preview the team before the fight (I know wave nodes are pretty ambiguous, but you don't even know the level - it could be the toughest pin or the weakest pin that you face).
3) You have to compose a team of all three stars, all four stars, and one "combined arms style" team (2/3/4 star team).
4) One of the teams listed in 3) will be randomly selected for you once the battle begins, and randomly alternate on each pin.

What teams would you pick for such a scenario? I understand recommendations may differ based on roster level, and that's part of the fun. Make recommendations based on your current roster level, not on "Well, I'm Mr. Whaley McWhaley Pants with seven max-champed OMLs, this is what I'd bring". It might be fun to see some different teams for non-max-covered folks!

Feel free to offer suggestions for any or all of the three team compositions. I'll start it off with just one.

Mine:
star.pngstar.pngstar.png
Blade, Daken, Falcon
I love this combination, and it's my go-to team for nearly all PvE nodes, and even some PvP nodes if the Price is Right. Err, if the boosts are right. Falcon keeps making those strike and attack tile(s) nastier, taking down countdowns and special tiles, and with a decent board you have some serious pain rolling out within a few turns. Boost +2 B/P on any non-trivial nodes and you have Redwing online with a single blue match-3. You can also move Daken to the front to take any big hits, since he true heals.

Comments

• TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Medusa, X23. I'd regret the underleveled X23 with the two champs, but she's one of the few true healers in the tier. Strong versus wave or goon or special tile producers.

Unfortunately, the event would have to disregard the rest of my roster for scaling, or the CA and all-3s teams would be.... toasty.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Right now probably carol, medusa, peggy.

It's not the strongest goon team, but it is very fast and can handle goons pretty well (especially if they make special tiles). And it's a damn good team against ai tile-movers. Best that carol or peggy have the strongest color though.

Peggy offers stunlock potential, and suppresses the ai. She hits decently hard and can triple dip on strikes with her blue.

Medusa offers passive damage (great for enemy teams that have ap stealers) and passive healing for defense, and potential ap generation.

Carol is an offensive beast. Plus her green is great if the ai has tile movers.

Only weakness is the lack of an active green power.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    edited March 2017
    Depends on who is boosted, but OML, Carol, and Phil.

Black is the strongest color, so leave the enemy those matches and make with the yellow matches right away. Two enemy matches makes 8 black AP, fire black for two strike tiles, a Carol CD, and a Phil CD. Use yellow to fire the 5 turn CD for damage plus two strike tiles. Three strike tiles are boosted by Carol and Phil makes another 1 turn CD. If you have more yellow, fire another Phil CD to damage, boost three Strike tiles, and create another Phil CD. Match away purple or yellow if available, Red/Black/TU if not to make OML tank, with a priority of prtecting the red strike tiles and the two Phil CD tiles. Watch the enemy team melt with two more CDs going off next turn for huge damage and a double boost to three of the strike tiles.

Oh yeah, and I forget to add, every time a CD reaches 0, 2 free AP.

By this time every attack or match should be doing 5K plus extra damage. Two or three more turns should end the fight, even against the toughest of enemies. I took out a team of Championed 5 Stars (Black Bolt, Widow, and Cap) with this team, which is more than any enemy the game will throw at you in a PvE.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Depends on who is boosted, but OML, Carol, and Phil.

Black is the strongest color, so leave the enemy those matches and make with the yellow matches right away. Two enemy matches makes 8 black AP, fire black for two strike tiles, a Carol CD, and a Phil CD. Use yellow to fire the 5 turn CD for damage plus two strike tiles. Three strike tiles are boosted by Carol and Phil makes another 1 turn CD. If you have more yellow, fire another Phil CD to damage, boost three Strike tiles, and create another Phil CD. Match away purple or yellow if available, Red/Black/TU if not to make OML tank, with a priority of prtecting the red strike tiles and the two Phil CD tiles. Watch the enemy team melt with two more CDs going off next turn for huge damage and a double boost to three of the strike tiles.

By this time every attack or match should be doing 5K plus extra damage. Two or three more turns should end the fight, even against the toughest of enemies. I took out a team of Championed 5 Stars (Black Bolt, Widow, and Cap) with this team, which is more than any enemy the game will throw at you in a PvE.

8 ap fron 2 ai matches means 5 in green. Do you run carol 5/3/5, or 3/5/5for this team? Seems like you may be better off with 3/5/5 given your emphasis on boosting strikes.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Combined Arms team is OBW/IM40/Iceman. I don't care if it's goons, villains or even a wave node, this team can take care of anything.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quake / Nova / Iceman

AoE nullification, a cheap stun and cheap way to send people airborne, AoE of your own, tile removal, strike generation and a nuke.
  • METT-T dependent
    METT-T dependent Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Love this topic.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png magneto/switch/cage
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png xfw/xpool/cyclops
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Vhailorx wrote:
    8 ap fron 2 ai matches means 5 in green. Do you run carol 5/3/5, or 3/5/5for this team? Seems like you may be better off with 3/5/5 given your emphasis on boosting strikes.

Yeah, I use 3/5/5. The loss in damage from the Photonic Barrage is about 14K (using the currently boosted Carol), but as you noted, the boost to the strike tiles is the play. Each CD to 0 gives 961 x 3 boosts or 2,883 damage. Carol only boosts 2 x 437 at 5/3/5. With all of the Phil and Carol CDs going off, that 14K damage I'm losing on the Photonic Barrage is quickly made up. I suppose I could try running a 5/5/3, especially when the other team isn't running black as the strongest color, but for PvP defense I like to keep her green cover at 5 for that huge team damage and the quicker black AP generation to get Photonic Barrage early and often to keep my strike tiles boosted.

On the survival missions this week, I've had to swap out OML for Blade because Wolverine is locked. The other character doesn't make a huge difference, so long as they are auto generating strike tiles. The only time this is an issue is if red is dry and I need to wait a few turns to get strike tiles out before firing my executive decisions.

Blade also has that fun little CD tile that keeps resetting. Every time it hits 0, I get a huge strike tile boost, 2 free AP from Call the Cavalry, and 2 AP in the enemy's strongest color. The base damage on my Nightstalker is 1,178. I finished off Wolverine in the last battle by hitting the enemy with a 23K damage nightstalker. lol
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png Player, would bring Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange. That team just melts whatever the opponent can throw at you, and the free protect tile and passive healing means you can last forever.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best team for any PVE is not really a question of debate at all...

Medusa/Carnage/Mr F. You will never die. It can mop the floor with anything. Most of gauntlet was completed with this team and my carnage and medusa were both underlevelled and undercovered
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    XFW/Cmags/Loki

Just cascade everything to death.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Peggy/Iceman/IM40 can take care of virtually anything so I'd bring them in a fight I knew was fair.

Carol/Medusa/Iceman would probably be what I'd bring for an unknown wave node.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    4's - Cyclops Jean Grey and X-23
    3's - IM40, Kamala Khan and Strange
    2/3/4 - Magneto, Patch and Peggy Carter
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2017
    Devil Dinosaur/Eddie Venom /Bag Man. Because I’m blind and can’t see who I’m picking.

Seriously though, it would probably be Peggy/Red Hulk/S Witch, the team I use for the Big Enchilada (ie: the daily PVE unknown). It covers a strong single shot, AOE attack, Stun, AP denial (or delay) and strong AP generation, plus a big pool of Hulk health to give me time to adjust to every new situation. Any team that covers those bases would be fine.

And for the specific options you asked for:

3* IM40/3* Cap/Kamala

4* Red Hulk/Peggy/4* Cage

Combined arms: Red Hulk/S Witch/2* Hawkeye
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Puce Moose wrote:
    3) You have to compose a team of all three stars, all four stars, and one "combined arms style" team (2/3/4 star team).

First, I'm angry I'm not allowed to use my 5s. But variety, so I'll run with it.

3star team:
    IM40, 3Cap and Kamala. That should be able to take care of most things, assuming the nodes are scaled appropriately.

4star team:
    Peggy, Iceman, RHulk. Stun lock and AoE them to death. Honorable mention to Jeanbuster with 4Cyc.

Combined Arms:
    Peggy, IM40, OBW. No green, but whatever, the opponents will never have any AP to be a threat. Alternative is Iceman IM40 2Mags.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iceman, im40, and 3strange
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    This would be more fun for me if I had all the 4s fully covered and leveled up... icon_e_smile.gif

Given what I've got, though, I think my 4* team would be Prof/Cyc/Jean. Just a lot of versatility there; you've got Jean to clear out specials with her purple, Cyc and Jean to do heavy hitting with red/green respectively, and the Prof behind them firing off specials and boosting them (if you get him invisible). The major downside is no stun ability. If my Peggy was more powerful, I'd sub her in for the Prof. Ditto if my Medusa was more covered.
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    3*: gut says to go with kk/3tormhawk/cmags, but I kinda wanna go outside the box with IM40/Beast/Mystique or Doom

4*: Cyke/X-23/XFDP

2/3/4 : First, I would re-roster OBW, and run her with Loki/StarLord