"Random" Cover Feature

Stax the Foyer
Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
A small, but very helpful change, would be to make the Random cover a roll among all colors at the lowest coverage for that character. If you're 5/5/0, you're guaranteed to get your first cover of the third color to make it 5/5/1. If you're 3/3/3, it's truly random.

This isn't as big of a deal with Coulson, as we'll be swimming in his covers with the vaulting mechanic. But for some of the other Limited characters where this mechanic is in place, like Howard, it would be nice to help everyone get a cover that's as helpful as it can be to virtually everyone. Big quality of life boost for new players.

This could be applied to Bonus Heroes, as well. Roll for color among the lowest-covered colors. It would be a huge QoL increase for people looking to finish off older characters using the Bonus Heroes feature. Especially at the 5* level. This little tweak would make Bonus Heroes a no-brainer for your 5/2/5 characters, instead of a ticking time bomb of regret.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like another problem that our biggest superhero could address.

COLORLESS COVERS, to the rescue!
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    or you get a cover you're missing </no math required>
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    I'm sorry Stax, we just don't have that kind of "randomization" technology yet.

Sure someday, but we're not there quite yet. Of course by the time we achieve it, we'll all be on Mars hovering about on our laser jetpacks and probably won't care quite so much about our 12th Howard the Duck cover...
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I completely agree. If the draw system can now look at which characters in your roster you've put a little heart next to, it can absolutely look at your roster to see which colors are at 5 or not. Don't know what language they use, but here's the function in VB.Net.
        Private Function GetNextColor(color1Count As Integer, color2Count As Integer, color3Count As Integer) As Integer
            If color1Count + color2Count + color3Count = 13 Then
                'Fully covered.  Return true random.
                Return CInt(Math.Ceiling(Rnd() * 3))
            Else
                Dim validReturns As New List(Of Integer)
                If color1Count &lt; 5 Then
                    validReturns.Add(1)
                End If
                If color2Count &lt; 5 Then
                    validReturns.Add(2)
                End If
                If color3Count &lt; 5 Then
                    validReturns.Add(3)
                End If
                Return validReturns(CInt(Rnd() * validReturns.Count))
            End If
        End Function

'This Is free And unencumbered software released into the public domain.

'Anyone Is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, Or
        'distribute this software, either In source code form Or As a compiled
        'binary, for any purpose, commercial Or non-commercial, And by any
        'means.

'In jurisdictions that recognize copyright laws, the author Or authors
        'of this software dedicate any And all copyright interest in the
        'software to the public domain. We make this dedication for the benefit
        'of the public at large And to the detriment of our heirs And
        'successors. We intend this dedication to be an overt act of
        'relinquishment in perpetuity of all present And future rights to this
        'software under copyright law.

'THE SOFTWARE Is PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY Of ANY KIND,
        'EXPRESS Or IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT Not LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
        'MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE And NONINFRINGEMENT.
        'IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES Or
        'OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER In AN ACTION Of CONTRACT, TORT Or OTHERWISE,
        'ARISING FROM, OUT Of Or In CONNECTION With THE SOFTWARE Or THE USE Or
        'OTHER DEALINGS In THE SOFTWARE.

'For more information, please refer To &lt;http://unlicense.org&gt;

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of this is super complicated. What we really need is a way to make excess covers still usable. I feel like this is the best solution and hey, it's almost at 100 upvotes now. At 100 upvotes, they have to give me a pony.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    All of this is super complicated. What we really need is a way to make excess covers still usable. I feel like this is the best solution and hey, it's almost at 100 upvotes now. At 100 upvotes, they have to give me a pony.

LOL, this is not complicated. If you're at 13 covers, you pick a random number, 1-3, and use the associated color.

Otherwise, if you have less than 5 of any color, you throw that color into a hat. So, you end up with a hat with 1 color in it (for any build where you have two colors at 5), 2 colors in it (for any build where you have one color at 5) , or 3 colors in it (for any build where nothing is at 5), and you pick one of them at random.

That said, yours is another example that there really is no shortage of perfectly workable solutions to this problem, so the fact that the devs haven't bothered to put any of them into the game, despite us asking for literally years at this point, is infuriating.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:

Working as intended.
    tree-swing-project-management-large.png
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they just let you merge characters you have in your roster already that would solve it.
    Therefore the cost to you is that you must have or use an extra roster slot.
    So say you have a 5/5/1 character, you end up pulling more unusable covers so you bank it in your roster as a dupe of 4/1/0.
    Then you finally get the last 2 covers you need.

5/5/3. Merge duplicate (at cost of possible spent iso) for 5 champ levels. Sorted.... maybe?
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Hopefully somebody who needed 1 specific cover for Coulson got the cover they needed "randomly" and could vouch for it.

Although we'll need several people all to get what they needed to know if it's filling a need, or just totally random. I tend to think it's totally random and they don't scan your roster before giving you the cover.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

LOL, this is not complicated. If you're at 13 covers, you pick a random number, 1-3, and use the associated color.

Otherwise, if you have less than 5 of any color, you throw that color into a hat. So, you end up with a hat with 1 color in it (for any build where you have two colors at 5), 2 colors in it (for any build where you have one color at 5) , or 3 colors in it (for any build where nothing is at 5), and you pick one of them at random.

That said, yours is another example that there really is no shortage of perfectly workable solutions to this problem, so the fact that the devs haven't bothered to put any of them into the game, despite us asking for literally years at this point, is infuriating.

Well it's at least a little more complicated than that since you'd want it to take into account covers that you have but have not yet applied to your character, and you would want it to "know" which dupe to look at, if you had rostered the same character more than once. And that assumes that the process that generates your random covers has access to your roster and your cover archive (which may or may not be up to date on your device, if you play on more than one).

Making covers colourless under some/all circumstances would require much less logic for the game and only some small decision-making on your part (which would, presumably, always be what you want).