Bonus Hero increase tied to VIP

westnyy2
westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I would love to know from a dev if there are plans to add the Bonus Hero as a benefit to the VIP plan. Surely a couple more percentage points would get more players to subscribe.

As a VIP member, I do admit I've enjoyed the bonus resources I've been earning but would certainly like to see the above implemented as my pull rates have been abysmal thus far. I've opened over 40 LT's (mixed) and received 1 4 Star BH and 0 5 Star BH. But don't worry, as my Gwenpool is doing fine.

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think steam players/amazon app players feel like VIP is currently even as is.

Bonus heroes is so central to making vaulting work, that I don't know how I feel about them creating something **** then asking for money to make it better.

I'd rather sacrifice an earn-able and purchasable resource (HP, maybe even CP, or a sacrificed 3 and up cover that can guarantee my next cover of the same level drawn will be a bonus) than it be attached to money.

Also your title is horrible.

It seems like a statement that is very witch-hunty/ accusatory instead of a suggestion.

Do you happen to write online articles for a living? icon_lol.gif
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Make it for mobile app players only to add extra flavour.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    I don't agree with the statement that 'bonus heroes is central to making vaulting work'. The 2 changes are completely distinct from one another, and neither requires the other to 'make sense' or to 'work'.

Vaulting is an (admittedly painful) attempt to help the overall meta of the game. Dilution had gotten to the point that your average 3* player was looking at a virtually insurmountable challenge when it came to trying to fully cover and champ 4*s to make the leap to the next level. By focusing down the pool of characters available, a committed 3* player should (hopefully) be able to cover and champ Coulson and Mordo before they leave tokens. That same player should be able to do the same with every toon that is released after Coulson as well. Turn that crank a few seasons and 3* players are bootstrapped into the 4* tier much faster than they would have been without vaulting. Arguably, the failure of vaulting was the designers dictating that the vault contains the 'newest 12' constantly. If the vault content had been allowed to be the 'newest 8' plus a 'mandatory 4' that the player chose (which always defaulted to 9-12 on the 'newest' list until the player overrode that setting)... then vaulting would be heralded as a monumental success. I think they reason we can't pick toons in the vault is that this change is meant to improve the process of transitioning into the 4* tier, not to comically accelerate the path to lvl370 (max champed) 4* toons. But that is a digression... the point of vaulting is to help the meta. It does so in a very jarring way, which is why it is not well received.

This, awkwardly, also winds up being good for the meta too. By narrowing the token pool the average level of your 4* roster will likely reach an equilibrium - and balance your characters in a way that will make many of them more playable than they would be if they were forced to always be 30-40 levels behind the oldest 4* on your roster. In time, we wind up with a more balanced field of characters being played by a larger pool of players.

Both of these observations probably sound like eating a bowl of dry sand to an advanced, veteran roster. But it doesn't diminish the truth of it. If 3* players are left feeling like they are stuck at the bottom of a mountain they will never climb then they give up and the game we all enjoy playing is diminished.

Bonus heroes, if looked at in a vacuum, is a great change. 'More' should always be viewed as 'better'. Allowing us to select character that are not in the tokens as 'bonus heroes' is causing people to conflate the 2 changes... and that is a mistake. Even if you couldn't pick a character out of the token pool as a favorite character, bonus heroes should be viewed as an unequivocally 'good thing'. Characters not present in tokens can still be earned/won as champ rewards from the lower tier, and as placement and progression prizes in events. So its not like those characters have permanently stalled, they have simply slowed. I think we should try very hard not to force these 2 changes together... because it muddies the dialog that could be had about each of them if they are discussed separately.

To tie this post back to the original title of the thread though:
    I agree that it would be great to have the bonus hero rate tied to VIP somehow... for example VIPs have a higher bonus rate than non-VIP. The trick there is picking a level that doesn't turn VIP into a 'must buy'. If we were to abandon that, then VIP could straight double the bonus rate - that would be great. Heck, triple it!