Captain Marvel energy absorption bug in wave substitution.

whitecat31
whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
I noticed this recently in todays Deadpool daily. I downed a Sentry Fighter with a critical match, and Captain Marvel (3 star) came in and took the downed Sentry Fighter's place and promptly absorbed twice and gained 4 red AP twice. She had full hit points and then promptly used here Photonic Blast ability.

Comments

• Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    This has been happening to me since the Bonus Heroes update. Whenever a new enemy appears, and they have a passive that is triggered by damage, it will go off.

Saw it first with Hulk, a few days ago with Storm, and today with Captain Marvel. All 3 times it happened to me was after I used an AoE attack, and all 3 times, the new enemy took 0 damage.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    This has been happening to me since the Bonus Heroes update. Whenever a new enemy appears, and they have a passive that is triggered by damage, it will go off.

Saw it first with Hulk, a few days ago with Storm, and today with Captain Marvel. All 3 times it happened to me was after I used an AoE attack, and all 3 times, the new enemy took 0 damage.

I think you are right, I saw it also with a 2 star storm substitute.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,749 Chairperson of the Boards
    whitecat31 wrote:
    I noticed this recently in todays Deadpool daily. I downed a Sentry Fighter with a critical match, and Captain Marvel (3 star) came in and took the downed Sentry Fighter's place and promptly absorbed twice and gained 4 red AP twice. She had full hit points and then promptly used here Photonic Blast ability.

Had the same issue last time she was in DDQ and same happens today: as soon as you down one of the Sentries, Cap Marvel will come in and absorb damage for the downed enemy. And she aborbs multiple times, depending on how much damage you've done to this Sentry icon_e_sad.gif
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    It's likely down to order-of-operations weirdness again. The game probably does things in this order:

1: Ultron Sentry in slot A is downed; is another enemy waiting to enter for this wave? [Yes]
    2: Substitute Captain Marvel into slot A
    3: Does occupant of slot A have any passive powers triggered by damage taken? [Yes, Energy Absorption]
    4: Was damage taken by occupant of slot A greater than threshold for Energy Absorption? [Yes]
    5: Energy Absorption triggered

Without another character waiting to enter, on downing an enemy the OOO is something like:

1: Ultron Sentry in slot A is downed; is another enemy waiting to enter for this wave? [No]
    2: Does occupant of slot A have any passive powers triggered by damage taken? [No, downed characters have no passive powers]
    3: Do nothing.

The correct behaviour would be to make the substitution after step 3 in the first list, rather than after step 1.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    This has been an issue for a very long time. I've had it happen in DDQ.

It's been so long, I've given up on it being fixed.
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Happened again this morning when Than-man's court death went off...
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just adding my experience to the list. This should be fixed.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the oldest bugs currently still in the game afaik. It's been around for so long I've also given up on it ever being fixed.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    They're too busy working on important things like changing the look of the arrows in the Recruit Heroes menu to bother with trivial matters like this.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen this too, but I think the problem goes back further because for several months I've seen in wave nodes that the next character is shown prematurely in the spot of the character that's currently being downed.