Poll - How should classic/latest stores work for 4*s

astrp3
astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Many have suggested changes to how the classic/latest legends stores should work now that we have bonus heroes. I thought it might be interesting to do a poll listing some of the more obvious ones.

This poll assumes that the bonus heroes/favorite system remains the same. If you select other, post your idea here. I did not bother listing choices that I didn't think were practical (e.g. letting the players designate which 4s are in the stores, since I think if they did this, a lot of players wouldn't spend any more money on the game).

Regarding the "expand the pool" option, the "top" 4*s could be those voted the best in the forum poll, those that are played the most, or those with the highest winning percentage in PvP (I know D3 has access to such stats and uses them to make decisions when changing the game).
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I voted Split, but I would also be cool with an option not listed: Latest contains latest 12, Classic contains all.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2017
    Rotation with new and some old champs. People can horde their CPs and then spend them when the older covers they want are in the rotation.

They may not get the covers they want right away but they'll have a better chance to get them than ones they don't want when they do pop up.
  • astrp3
    Nepenthe wrote:
    I voted Split, but I would also be cool with an option not listed: Latest contains latest 12, Classic contains all.

Good idea. I tried to edit the poll and add it, but couldn't figure out how (maybe it's not allowed).

Another option I didn't list was that the latest store contains the 12 latest and the classic store contains the top 12 older 4*s (if they reworked a character to boost its abilities, they could add it, and if they nerfed one, they could replace it).
    I felt that this was also impractical and would cost them revenue.
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Everything is simply solved by added a couple more options for the 'classic' store. Keep the current 20CP CL + 12 most recent option, and then have another option that is 20CP CL + (Entire 4* pool). (Or: all-except-newest-12, and people who want the whole pool can simply split their draws.) Boom. New transitioners or people who are after the newer 4*s have a small pool to quickly cover the latest characters, and people who want to slowly build the entire roster (or who preferentially want champion levels for older 4s) can do so.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I voted for "Split them up (latest store contains 12 latest 4*s, classic store contains all the rest)". That's something I was suggesting elsewhere this week and I'm kinda of surprised they haven't gone that route, considering that's exactly how they do the 5* division.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    My idea is to making the vaulting optional. Put a setting in the game menu (for example) with a radio button that reads "Limit Character Draws from tokens" and a spot for "Yes" and "No" If the button is on "yes" then it works by the current system. If it's on "no" then your token draws will be like they were a week ago - any character can be drawn normally.

The advantage of this is you can turn it on and off at will. It will default to "yes" for new players, but older players can turn it on when they want to cover the newer characters, then turn it off when they're short on Iso and/or want to increase the levels of their older ones. It's a win/win, as far as I'm concerned.

It would require coding (possibly extensive coding, I don't know,) but other solutions would require more, I think. The only other draw back is that the devs might consider it too good, as it basically allows you to go by the old system with the Bonus Characters. I personally don't think so, but I'm a player, so I'm biased. icon_e_smile.gif
  • astrp3
    Everything is simply solved by added a couple more options for the 'classic' store. Keep the current 20CP CL + 12 most recent option, and then have another option that is 20CP CL + (Entire 4* pool). (Or: all-except-newest-12, and people who want the whole pool can simply split their draws.) Boom. New transitioners or people who are after the newer 4*s have a small pool to quickly cover the latest characters, and people who want to slowly build the entire roster (or who preferentially want champion levels for older 4s) can do so.

I thought about that (allowing users to pick options for what goes in their classic store) but thought the user interface might be confusing for new players and that just having separate stores was clearer. I think the split option is basically the same as your second idea, except that you have to pay a small premium (+5 CP) if you just want to pick from the latest 12, which I think is OK (and might generate some revenue for them).
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Also, an FYI for people voting in the poll: Multiple threads asking to change how 4*s work in classic/latest LTs have been started and then moved to the Suggestions & Feedback subforum. If you want to make your voice heard it might also help to go over there and upvote or reply in the threads with the suggestion you prefer.
  • astrp3
    edited March 2017
    Tee wrote:
    Rotation with new and some old champs. People can horde their CPs and then spend them when the older covers they want are in the rotation.

They may not get the covers they want right away but they'll have a better chance to get them than ones they don't want when they do pop up.

One rotating pool idea I thought of after I made the poll was to have the stores contain the 12 latest 4*s plus whichever 4*s are boosted for the week (and maybe even whichever ones are required for the next PvE). I don't know how much better this is than the current system, however, and there are probably better rotation systems. I initially thought this could also be a revenue generator, but since you can't buy CP or legendary tokens, maybe not.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    My ideal solution would be a new type of token. One that guaranteed a usable cover. It would scan your roster and give you a character that you don't yet have at 13 covers.

Another solution would be to have vaults, but have every character be available. Do MANY vaults of 12, and give the consumer more of a choice.

My main objection with putting latest 4*'s and latest 5*'s together is that I'm in that mid-ground where the new pool of 4*'s are useful, but I'm still trying to also acquire classic 4*'s. So, the current setup of 12 new, where almost anything I draw won't go to waste, isn't entirely bad. But, having it be that way at the cost of completely eliminating any champ levels I'll ever draw from classic tokens is far too sever of an overcorrection to ensure I get a usable draw.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I picked other.

Of the options without other I would pick:
    Split them up (latest store contains 12 latest 4*s, classic store contains all the rest)

My other solution is to have more than 2 CP packs. Not counting Coleson, Mordo, Howard, and Devil Dino there are 42 4*. I would have them create the following packs:

1 - Latest (no change to what is live in game right now)

2 - Up and Coming - This pack would be similar to what Classics is now. 20 CP, all but the latest 3 5*s, it has 12 4*, BUT the next 12 released before the Latest (Today that would be X-23 - War Machine)

3 - Classic - All remaining 4*s 0 5* for a cost of 10-15 CP. This would contain all the oldest 4*s today it would contain 18, but the number of characters would increase as more and more roll off.

So when it's time to add a new 4* to Latest, the oldest from Latest would roll to Up and Coming, the oldest Up, and Coming would roll to Classics.
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    I have an idea not listed, but I'm not sure if it's been suggested in other threads yet.

Why not keep the vaults as they are, but offer an option to customize them through the favorite system?

Right now, the Latest and Classic vaults are filled with the 12 most recent 4* releases. Why not make that the default list of characters in the vaults, but when you add a 4* favorite, it kicks the oldest 4* out of the list and replaces it with your new favorite. If you add a second favorite, kick the second oldest out of the 4* list and replace it with that one. This way it keeps the vault at 12, but it lets the player decide which 4*s they want to pull when they use the tokens or command points.

So, if I wanted Cyclops (Classic), I would favorite Cyclops and it would kick Kate Bishop (I think she's the oldest?) out of the list. But, if I actually wanted Kate Bishop, I could still favorite her and then it would kick Moon Knight out of the list. And so on...

The favorites you choose would also be added to the bonus hero lists, just like they are now, so you can be assured to get a characters you definitely want. It would enable people to draw from a short list of characters they want, but still have just enough RNG to not just hand everything to you.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Landale wrote:
    I have an idea not listed, but I'm not sure if it's been suggested in other threads yet.

Why not keep the vaults as they are, but offer an option to customize them through the favorite system?

Right now, the Latest and Classic vaults are filled with the 12 most recent 4* releases. Why not make that the default list of characters in the vaults, but when you add a 4* favorite, it kicks the oldest 4* out of the list and replaces it with your new favorite. If you add a second favorite, kick the second oldest out of the 4* list and replace it with that one. This way it keeps the vault at 12, but it lets the player decide which 4*s they want to pull when they use the tokens or command points.

So, if I wanted Cyclops (Classic), I would favorite Cyclops and it would kick Kate Bishop (I think she's the oldest?) out of the list. But, if I actually wanted Kate Bishop, I could still favorite her and then it would kick Moon Knight out of the list. And so on...

The favorites you choose would also be added to the bonus hero lists, just like they are now, so you can be assured to get a characters you definitely want. It would enable people to draw from a short list of characters they want, but still have just enough RNG to not just hand everything to you.

Interesting idea, but nothing is stopping me from choosing all older characters. Seems a little exploitable to be able to choose 12 champs, so they level up at an accelerated pace.

My idea, making a second 20 cp legendary that has the same 5*s as the classic and the old 4*s. Can still focus on the new ones if I want, unvaults the other 4*s.

Either that or upping the characters in tokens to 20 with the other 8 populated by the devs, rotated at their call.

Basically I agree with the 3rd and 4th option but tweaked a little. I still like getting the new characters at 20 cp, and I don't want them tied to the 5*s. I think they could expand the pool, but not necessarily include the top characters.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't know who had the bright idea to NOT split them up in the first place.

"Classic" Dr. Who/Star Trek/whatever episodes are not the last 12!