Bonus Heroes/Vaulting - A potential fix

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
So theres been no shortage of criticism of the two new features. Some have been ok with it some not so ok.

Common complaints:
    The RNG on top of RNG to even draw a bonus hero The Vaulting of older characters and thus reducing availability greatly (but not to zero)

It seems there are some fairly simple fixes here:

Fix 1 : Vaulting issue

Have two sets of tokens which collectively offer ALL characters.

Token 1 (Latest) Has newest 12 4* characters and Newest 3 5* characters
Token 2 (Classic) Has everyone else.

This can even be implemented at Heroic level too.

Fix 2: Vaulting Issue

Have the players be able to select 6 old and 6 new characters to place in the new token pool. Everyone else gets "vaulted"

Fix : RNG on top of RNG
Instead of bonus heroes simply give players the ability to increase their odds of receiving 1 character at each tier level by 10% (actually this kind of fixes issue 1 as well) The token pools can stay nice and diluted which will satisfy both the vets (so they can continue their old character champ rewards) and the devs too as progress for everyone else can remain nice and slow. Of course you wouldn't get a bonus pull every once in while in this system but hey not many seem to like that anyway.

Comments

• Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    So theres been no shortage of criticism of the two new features. Some have been ok with it some not so ok.

Have the players be able to select 6 old and 6 new characters to place in the new token pool. Everyone else gets "vaulted"

Instead of bonus heroes simply give players the ability to increase their odds of receiving 1 character at each tier level by 10% (actually this kind of fixes issue 1 as well) The token pools can stay nice and diluted which will satisfy both the vets (so they can continue their old character champ rewards) and the devs too as progress for everyone else can remain nice and slow. Of course you wouldn't get a bonus pull every once in while in this system but hey not many seem to like that anyway.

Re: Fix 1.
    What a unique and novel idea! It's not like that's what dozens of people have been suggesting this whole time while you've been posting everywhere that the change is just wonderful. icon_rolleyes.gifHere's my thread on that the day the change was announced. It got a fair amount of replies before getting moved to the less busy subforum. I've also seen about a dozen people suggest it in the main thread about bonus heroes, FYI.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    I created a poll in the General discussion listing this and a couple of the other commonly proposed solutions for 4*s:

1) returning to the old system (all 4*s in classic and legends stores)
    2) expanding the pool (stores contain 12 latest 4*s plus a number [maybe 3-8] of the top older 4*s)

Another suggestion is to have a rotating pool.
    Another is to give players the choice of to include only the latest 12 in their Classic store, or to include all 4*s.
    I think some have even suggested giving players total control over which characters go in their store, but I think this is too impractical and would cost D3 revenue.

So far, the split option (the one you suggested) is winning by a mile and seems to be the most obvious solution.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nepenthe wrote:

Re: Fix 1.
    What a unique and novel idea! It's not like that's what dozens of people have been suggesting this whole time while you've been posting everywhere that the change is just wonderful. icon_rolleyes.gifHere's my thread on that the day the change was announced. It got a fair amount of replies before getting moved to the less busy subforum. I've also seen about a dozen people suggest it in the main thread about bonus heroes, FYI.

I think that perhaps you read my attempt at finding positives as thinking 'its wonderful' OR perhaps because my opinion differed to yours you simply decided to demean mine? either way its slightly incorrect. All I suggested was its not as bad as everyone was saying and looked for strategies to deal with the change and whatever small positives there may have been - which of course there are none because the whole world is ending and death to d3 blah blah rhetoric

EDIT: I actually prefer fix 2 because it gives greater control. Id rather focus my efforts on one character than 21
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    New players are trying to get characters covered so they are playable faster. I strongly suspect this is a change aimed at early players or transitioning rosters. this isn't for veteran players with 20x 4*s already champed and other 10x covered waiting for ISO.

Given that belief; I'm not sure this actually addresses one of the core goals of the vaulting choice. And if that is truly the target audience meant to get the most benefit from this change then forcing them to spend additional CP on the more expensive legendary store to get it done is slightly a disservice to those players.

What about a 'classic' classic store instead? Stand up a different version of the classic store that still has all the 4* toons in it with the same incredibly low odds they used to have... because the people that token are meant for view the 4* tier a farm for champ rewards until those characters get to be >350 and are buffed for a week. That demographic isn't very large, but they are definitely vocal.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    OneLastGambit,

No, I'm just annoyed at how many times I've seen you post variants of this "everyone thinks the world is ending!" strawman when the majority of the comments I've seen have been reasonable people acknowledging the positives and complaining about the vaulting aspect alone, offering solutions. Sorry I got a bit snarky about it, but some of your other posts on this topic have read as really dismissive of other people's concerns.

I do agree that SOME people have overreacted, but that's pretty typical of forums and maybe they just feel strongly about it? Maybe if it makes them feel like quitting they have every right to express that and hope the vaulting part of this gets undone.

I kinda like your Fix 2 idea, but I don't think it would be implemented. A little TOO effective at letting people get only the covers they want, and it alleviates most of the pressure to buy more roster slots, which I'm sure drives HP purchases.

Hey, and in the spirit of finding positives, I just got my first bonus 5*! Which helped reduce the pain of pulling my 10th black cover for my 1/1/5 SS, the bonus was a green Black Bolt.