Poll - Which token do you pull most? Classic or Latest?

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Just a question of general curiosity.

Which token do you pull when using CP?

Latest Legends or Classic Legends?

Feel free to elaborate why below.

I have a hypothesis about the results that I'd like to check.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Well, I had been saving all my CP, just opening the Legendaries that came from rewards (they are all Latest Legends, of course). But with the change in legendaries, and me finally rostering all current 2, 3, and 4 stars, I decided to blow my CP stash on the store that had my one rostered 5 star in it's pool, the Latest Legends.
  • OneLastGambit
    Personally I pull classics because they are cheaper and I have little to no interest in jumping to 5* yet.

If I were trying to fully cover a 5* I would pick latest as you're far more likely to cover one quicker by choosing them.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to only pull Classic until the character pool got too diluted with characters I didn't want (IM, Cap). I now only pull Latest and it's worked out well for me. I managed to champ BW before she rotated out and I'm on track to do the same with Strange.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Before the change I had shifted to Latest. In an almost self defeating way. I didn't want to waste covers or be forced to champ someone too soon, so I wanted to open less overall. I also wanted to roster BP and was having better luck getting 5*s than classic. With the change I am going back to classic to try to get more chances at Carol and bonus heroes, also Carol.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I open legendaries for 4* covers, so there's no point in paying the 5 CP tax.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoard Latest as I now maxed Strange with no intention of championing him anytime soon (sadly in about a month or so he will be in the classics). So I pull from the classics when I have no 4* to champion in the queue and nothing coming in from the current or next PvE/PvP event.

With the update to the token pool i might rethink my strategy as I intend to only champion about half of them. So I have to be prepare to waste substantial amount of covers. Hoarding of CP might be a way to go for me.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Personally I pull classics because they are cheaper and I have little to no interest in jumping to 5* yet.

If I were trying to fully cover a 5* I would pick latest as you're far more likely to cover one quicker by choosing them.

I picked "none I'm a hoarder" but this quote actually matches my experience more closely. Since the introduction of the split types of tokens I pulled exclusively classics (except for the earned LTs where you don't have a choice) because I cared more about filling out my 4* roster than getting the newest 5*s (especially back when classics only had 3-5 5*s in the pool anyway). After Doctor Strange came out I decided I really wanted him and read some of the threads about whaling latest legends because of the dilution problem, I hoarded LT and CP until just recently opening a hoard of over 140 pulls. Thread here.

Now I'm pretty sure I'll go back to classics for a while. Maybe spend CP on classics but hoard the latest LTs I earn, and cash those in after Black Panther passes out of latest.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Classic. Most of the 5-stars I have rostered are in that group, including arguably the best on ( icon_wolverine.png ) and my favorite design ( icon_greengoblin.png ).

Who's currently in the latest group? I know Panther and Thanos are, but can't remember the third. Is it Natasha or Strange? If it's Strange it's tempting to pull latest until 1-2 more legends come out now that the 4-star pool has changed and virtually none of the 4-stars I'm motivated to cover are in the pool. Thanos is my best-covered 5-star at 2/1/1 just from random luck with champion reward/vault pull Legendary Tokens.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Classic. I'm champing threes, acquiring and occasionally adding levels to 4s, and rostering 5s when they appear. I 'need' everything at this point, so it makes more sense to pull from this pool.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I started only opening Latest when Strange was added to Latest tokens. I've since champed him and widow both and have 9 covers for Thanos. Its nice actually making progress in 5* land over the old classic days. I just wish I had a usable OML to save on packs.
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Classics.

I stopped playing the game back in February last year - well went super casual. Did come back for an event or two. I think only really come back into the top 100 scene thing in October? Think it was the Strange event that drew me back in. Always said I'd come back for Dr Strange.

So the classic was giving me the option to build up my 4's, especially the ones that I was missing like Bobby/Rhulk champ them and collect the reward, which helped with more 4's and iso. Got like 20 champed and a few are just hanging below 280, which is the extra legendary token. It's a pity that the majority of them are just going to hang there.

It kind of sucks that taking a break will mean I effectively lose out on rostering someone.

I dunno why, but I find the fact they created a comic based game and discourage collecting really funny. Comics and collecting is somehow closely linked in my brain.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I do is not up there, interestingly enough. I generally used tokens for Latest, tokens for Classic until about October of last year, when I had drawn enough of Black Bolt to have him look pretty decent. At that point I decided to focus exclusively on Bolt. I maxxed him about two weeks before he left the pool, so I switched back to Classic, but went back to Latest to max out Widow.

Basically, I've been doing that since. I use my CP for Latest until I max out the current last 5*, then switch to Classic to try and fill out my earlier ones. So far it's been working - I've drawn a number of covers for my OML and Phoenix (they're both real close now,) and incrementally nudging up the rest. I'll probably start hording my CP earlier this time - I only have 6 covers for Thanos (as opposed to 8 for Bolt and Widow when they became last, and 10 for Strange,) so I'm more concerned about maxing him while he's in Latest. On the other hand, I set him my sole 5* "Favorite" to pad that chance out.

If you can, I'd recommend this method. I may skip a character if I decide he's lame, but none of the new releases have been like that since Banner.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    My pattern is not up there. I initially pulled all classics with cp. Recently. However, after getting a ton of 5bw covers from stockpiled latest pulls, i chased her a bit with some cp purchases, hoping get her maxed before she left the latest pool. Alas she is 3/5/3 now and waiting to ruin my day with multiple red pulls from mu next classic, and my strange is up to 0/5/4. Accordingly i may well keep buying latests until strange leaves the pool; then we will see what thanos looks like. Basically as long as CS will fix a 6th cover problem for latests, but not for classics, i will open latests whenever i get a character with a bad rng cover distribution.

But in the long run i would like to get back to drawing classics and building a deep 5* bench. That's the goal.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    I only use CP to pull classics (with the exception I did empty 200+ CP on that 5* Thanos special vault).

And that was the eye opening moment for me. I used 200+ CP and the event tokens I won and didn't draw a single 5* Thanos. And I made a forum post, saw this happened to a bunch of other people, and decided right then I would never spend 5 extra CP to likely draw a 4*.

To the OP: You made this post because you have a theory. Not sure about yours but I have one: If they changed every reward that was a "Latest Legend" token to 25 CP they'd probably see the majority of the player base no longer open Latest Legends.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until today, I had never spent CP to pull Latest.

Now I guess it doesn't matter...I get the same 4*'s no matter what....and the 4*'s aren't accelerating into CP/LT's to get more chances at 5*'s anymore....
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    tgibbs40 wrote:
    I only use CP to pull classics (with the exception I did empty 200+ CP on that 5* Thanos special vault).

And that was the eye opening moment for me. I used 200+ CP and the event tokens I won and didn't draw a single 5* Thanos. And I made a forum post, saw this happened to a bunch of other people, and decided right then I would never spend 5 extra CP to likely draw a 4*.

To the OP: You made this post because you have a theory. Not sure about yours but I have one: If they changed every reward that was a "Latest Legend" token to 25 CP they'd probably see the majority of the player base no longer open Latest Legends.

Unfortunately, math is not on your side. 250 CP is 10 pulls, which at 10% is 50/50. I think the intro purchase is really just for people with tons of CP to burn on them (whales.)
  • OneLastGambit
    tgibbs40 wrote:

Certainly seems that way based on the poll results so far. I'm gonna let the poll run a while longer before I see if the data supports or refutes my hypothesis.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker

Classics, same reasoning.
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2017
    Classics.

I suck at hoarding, and they're cheaper. Plus, I would rather develop a full roster of 5* over a long time(like I have been able to do with 4* up until now) than have only 3 usable quicker.

That's what I tell myself, anyway. In reality, if I had $50,000-$60,000 to blow, I'd probably do a ton of buy clubs and tell myself I'd use the cp on LL. That, and like I said, I'm a terrible hoarder. As soon as I get 20 cp they immediately go to a classic.

Edit: After crunching some numbers, $60,000 worth of buy clubs works out to 84,000 cp! icon_eek.gif

That's 3,360 LL icon_eek.gif

or

4,200 Classics icon_eek.gif

Not to mention 12,000,000 HP, which works out to 1,071.43 Heroic 40 packs(if you buy them at the discounted daily rate, or 1052.63 at the regular rate) icon_eek.gif
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoard Latest until I can pull 300+ using CP as well. But in the mean time, I spend the CP I earn in 2 weeks to pull Classics because I'm still building up my 4* tier. Once my 4* tier is deep, then I'll start pulling Latest only.