Panhandling

Options
Sorry to point it out...but here is the definition.

"In general, "aggressive panhandling" is a solicitation made in person for immediate donation of money or other gratuity. This may be done by vocal appeal (asking, requesting, coercing (badgering), sympathy appeals, harassment, threats, or demands) or by nonvocal appeal (usage of signs or other signals gestures, postures, children, animals, or props such as toys and musical instruments). It is the habitual manipulative, coercive, or intimidatory use of another individual's sympathy, fear, guilt, or insecurity for monetary gain. It is a form of emotional and financial abuse."

Look at this Venom event with nothing but 1* and **** (modern Hawkeye, bagman, etc.)...and super buffed Human Torch which was just released but you can buy covers for...at least try not to be obvious...come on D3, just knock on my door and say its pay to win.

Comments

• I'm a (relatively...) recent player, my best characters are 1 stars, and I'm having fun. Maybe D3 should add barriers of entry for tournaments based on the roster level, so that'll be obvious which events are for noobs like me and which are for veterans, handing out different rewards that cater to different audiences. What I'm trying to say is, well, horses for courses.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Part of the issue I see is that roster slots are so expensive when trying to keep up with all the new releases that people sell off a lot of the 1*s who are effectively usesless....until an event like this where they severely restrict roster. Im intrigued by the allowable list.

Here are my thoughts though:
    HT: Yeah, they have only given out 1/1/1 as rewards so anything else was pay to upgrade (or you have way, way too much HP....from where?)
    Psy/BP: Because Im F2P, I barely have Psy and BP covered, let alone leveled. I imagine this is pretty common.

That brings us to.....
    A.Wolv: A couple people I know dont have A.wolv due to selling him off and not fully rebuilding yet
    M.Storm: Wrong environment for her red to be useful, black just is a joke with that damage and green is better used elsewhere (HT, AW) and if you did, would kill some of your attack tiles
    Bageye, Bagman....pretty underwhelming. Maybe HEs can hit if the countdowns last but its just a mini cooper, not a bus.

In general it just seems to focus things on HT/Psy and maybe BP, which kind of need HP to be good leading to the cash grab theory. Maybe someone with more of the story background can help me figure out why that cross section?
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    HT: Yeah, they have only given out 1/1/1 as rewards so anything else was pay to upgrade (or you have way, way too much HP....from where?)
    A guy in my bracket had a Lvl 55 HT with 5/2/3. Suspicious.
  • Regarding roster diversity, Ice has said that during/after events like these, they see a bump in the amount of ISO people are willing to devote to typically benched characters. That being said, Bag-Man is a stupid choice to include, but I can see why they didn't want to put in Spidey 3*, and they had to have a Spidey. I'd have preferred content trivialization over being stuck with Bags. The other big thing they've said is that more exposure to the weaker chars helps them to collect the data they need to balance them. We haven't really seen the results of this, but I'm putting it out there.

With that in mind, I think it was an odd choice to include Psy and BP. Psy could fit into the story, but BP has no place there. Should have been BWGS or IM40 so some peeps would at least have a chance. I think a lot of people suspected Psy would be there since she was being given out in the preceding PVP tourney, and Torch was an obvious inclusion as he is the most recent. But yeah, having 3 relatively new characters being the only 3*'s is a bit annoying.
  • DecoyDuck
    DecoyDuck Posts: 620
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:

But spending (potentially) 8750 HP to buy covers shouldn't automatically be suspicious. The PVE is killing me and I'm thinking maybe one more HT cover might give me a couple extra swings at the opponent before they down me. Will my 2/1/1 HT be enough to flag me?

Wait - this is a panhandling thread? Shoot, it's working. icon_e_confused.gif
  • DecoyDuck wrote:
    Wait - this is a panhandling thread? Shoot, it's working.
    I keep debating purchasing another Red Psylocke cover (which would make her 4/1/4). If I get enough ISO this event, I probably will. Hang out the banner D3, mission accomplished.
  • i understand the argument... but i think it's a bit false. Sure it may not fit your roster/lineup but there are enough heroes to play this event. I dont' think everyone needs to spend a ridiculous amount of HP to play this event. You may have to dump ISO into a char you haven't used, but the allowance of BP/Psylocke (whom have been out for a while and high ends have spent time leveling) a decent amount of 2* (wolvie/Hawkeye) and a core set of 1 *'s I think this is a good set of heroes for an event like this.

Will everyone have these characters maxed on covers/levels? No. But i think you could say that for most people. Is the event still possible? Yes. Is it YOUR favorite set of heroes? No. Will YOU struggle? Maybe. Will everyone? No.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I really feel like the roster choices available for this event do not make for many fun or interesting teams. There are not a lot of options for handling Minion tiles in a non-luck-based way. No OBW, Spiderman, Captain America... Just gotta storm and hope for the best, really.

They could have included another utility character, like ** Magneto, or even a villain or two. (** Magneto is technically a good guy)
  • MarvelMan wrote:

Suspicious? What is suspicious? My HT is 5/3/5 and level 100.

For the record, you can earn Black HT Cover in the HT tournament as a progression award at 1100 points.
  • Sorry, it is not panhandling if d3 is providing a service to all of us which we can choose to not pay for.

I would get it if there was nothing else going on, but there is plenty of play available right now even if you are sitting Venom out.

I was on the other end of that with Heroic Juggs and had no roster that could do anything there and got no Lazy Thors out of that at all. Heroics are mean. If you have the characters to back them up you do well, if you don't you don't.

Take a few deep breaths and don't let a game cause an aneurysm...

Happy hunting.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Sugarman wrote:
    Look at this Venom event with nothing but 1* and **** (modern Hawkeye, bagman, etc.)...and super buffed Human Torch which was just released but you can buy covers for...at least try not to be obvious...come on D3, just knock on my door and say its pay to win.
    So, you consider BP, Psy, and AWolv to be "****"?
  • These limited roster events usually don't include guys who are totally broken on them, which is why everything feels way harder.

Since Modern Storm is included in this event, HT's red and green is unlikely to be that much of a help, and black is still covered by Black Panther. It'd certainly help a lot against Daken, or a single villian fight, but otherwise it's not necessarily better to use your green/red APs on direct damage compared to the cascade effects of Mistress of the Storm + Lightning Strike.
  • or psy + HT?
    green HT ongoing with strike tiles coming from red and punch tiles if any leftover black.
    heck at least the blue will be useful this way as HT eats up your extra ap as well.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Part of the issue I see is that roster slots are so expensive when trying to keep up with all the new releases that people sell off a lot of the 1*s who are effectively usesless....until an event like this where they severely restrict roster. Im intrigued by the allowable list.

Here are my thoughts though:
    Psy/BP: Because Im F2P, I barely have Psy and BP covered, let alone leveled. I imagine this is pretty common.

That brings us to.....
    A.Wolv: A couple people I know dont have A.wolv due to selling him off and not fully rebuilding yet
    M.Storm: Wrong environment for her red to be useful, black just is a joke with that damage and green is better used elsewhere (HT, AW) and if you did, would kill some of your attack tiles
    Bageye, Bagman....pretty underwhelming. Maybe HEs can hit if the countdowns last but its just a mini cooper, not a bus.

In general it just seems to focus things on HT/Psy and maybe BP, which kind of need HP to be good leading to the cash grab theory. Maybe someone with more of the story background can help me figure out why that cross section?

I don't disagree with your post, I normally don't mind using a roster I never get to use but the characters for this event do not play well together at all.

I just have an objection to A: if people sold Astonishing Wolverine and Thor, that's completely on them. I was around and had just maxed both of them and I still can't even imagine the mindset that thought hey, these two characters will be completely useless because nerf. I mean they were so OP to begin with, but Wolvie is a superpopular character among the general population and Thor had a movie sequel out. You guys really thought they would be nerfed to be unplayable? AND that's not including the game mechanics that require certain characters for nodes. So really, anyone who sold Thorverine because of that, I'm just like, rilly...? I think D3 probably had a good chuckle in the office about it.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I'm F2P and I have usable BP and Psylocke (probably had to shield in their tourneys though), just sayin'. I understood that getting newer characters is a requirement to do well and tried to do my best, although I was severely burnt by Heroic Juggs, hence I only have 3 lazyThor covers. Buuuut completely agree on Torch.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Completely agree about the selling of A.Wolv. Just didnt have much else to knock him on. He is pretty much the only good char on the list that people, aside from payers, will have had the opportunity to build to usefulness.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Completely agree about the selling of A.Wolv. Just didnt have much else to knock him on. He is pretty much the only good char on the list that people, aside from payers, will have had the opportunity to build to usefulness.
    While I have payed money to this game in past, I maxed BP and got Psy up to 90 without spending on either one of them. They have worked great for me so far, although I haven't seen the same level of scaling that some have reported. I was actually pleased with the roster options available to me this time, not to say that it's all my favorites.
  • Take a few deep breaths and don't let a game cause an aneurysm...

You assume too much. I have all the characters. I am just pointing out yet another example of how, too the community at large, what a blatant weekly pay to win cash grab it is. So you can take breaths or whatever makes you comfortable, but the facts still remain.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Sugarman wrote:
    Take a few deep breaths and don't let a game cause an aneurysm...

You assume too much. I have all the characters. I am just pointing out yet another example of how, too the community at large, what a blatant weekly pay to win cash grab it is. So you can take breaths or whatever makes you comfortable, but the facts still remain.
    As a F2P player with a L102 BP, max AWolv, max IM35, max MStorm, 3/3/3 Psy, and 1/2/1 Torch, I say "Meh."
  • Honestly, I'm not seeing how this is pay to win. A. Wolverine is buildable without cash. You should be able to get Iron Man and M. Storm to max without cash as well. HT was pretty available and you can also get him as the 300HP reward in his tourney. I don't have a strong BP or Psylocke, but I'm doing okay in this tournament so they are definitely not the only ways to do well in this event.