Stealth boost to the PvE experience?

Magic
Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Just a though i had and wanted to share with you fellow forumites.

With the vualted heroes and the shortlist of 12 4* you get from packs I believe that the new releases will be more relaxed. Since you are pretty much guaranteed multiple covers for a new 4* soon after they move into the 12-pool there is much less incentive to chase top10 or top2 finish. If you start with 4-6 covers when they are in the packs you will need the 350k iso sooner to champion them (which could be problematic with the others asking for iso as well). Of course if you have iso you will start getting the rewards sooner so there is a second side to it.

Still - I think many players will have a more relaxed approach, especially if the 4* doesn't look like top tier. Recently the new releases were a bit of hell (average of 150% of max progression for top100 alliance is just wrong).

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hadn't actually considered this side effect but I guess youre right. New releases will be less competitive.

On the flip side - When any of the forum ranked t10 are the prize that PVE will be extremely competitive since everyone will be clamouring for their covers now.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think to the extent pressure eases, it's going to be ~top 100. If you know you're going to be getting covers from tokens soon enough and that you can, if you want to work for it, get a cover from progression in the next event, maybe you relax some.

But I don't foresee any easing off at the top 10/20 tiers.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    DFiPL wrote:
    I think to the extent pressure eases, it's going to be ~top 100. If you know you're going to be getting covers from tokens soon enough and that you can, if you want to work for it, get a cover from progression in the next event, maybe you relax some.

Totally agree. In fact, it might get worse because people will want as many covers as possible so they can open LTs safely again.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    madok wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

Totally agree. In fact, it might get worse because people will want as many covers as possible so they can open LTs safely again.

Not to mention now it's a race against the clock to get as many covers for each as fast as possible before progress on that character grinds to a halt
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to mention now it's a race against the clock to get as many covers for each as fast as possible before progress on that character grinds to a halt

It's not that much of a race. With new characters out every 2 weeks and 12 in the rotation, you've got a minimum of 24 weeks that someone will be in the tokens. Throw in 5* releases too and that's more than 6 months to get 13 covers for a 4*. I'm pretty sure that the people who grind enough for top 10s or top 20s can easily cover anyone in 6 months.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:

It's not that much of a race. With new characters out every 2 weeks and 12 in the rotation, you've got a minimum of 24 weeks that someone will be in the tokens. Throw in 5* releases too and that's more than 6 months to get 13 covers for a 4*. I'm pretty sure that the people who grind enough for top 10s or top 20s can easily cover anyone in 6 months.

Not talking about simply cover maxing them. I'm talking about extracting as many champ rewards as possible.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    While what you said might sound logical, it isn't reflective of the reality of high end play. Unfortunately, there has been an ever growing mentality among the top players that they MUST get as high rewards as possible, no matter what it takes. They would sell their grandmas if it meant getting top 100. Maybe for Elektra they wouldn't care, but there is always going to be a rush for new 4 stars.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    I was thinking this same thing!

Also, who is going to spend tokens on the pvp 10 or 40 packs for new character? For example, two weeks ago, I purchased a pack for Mordo because he looked good and I knew it would be a long time before I could pull more of him from legendaries. But no way I will for Coulson as he will be a pretty high odds pull in legendaries starting Thursday.

Seems like D3 cut off a good revenue generator? Well, they have better data. Maybe not that big of a deal to their revenue.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kind of disagree. You need that new 4* immediately because they will be essential in the very next PVE. And brand new characters are not immediately available via LT.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Even if it does, it will likely make anything featuring covers not blessed to be more competitive. People are going to need old covers for doing the new ddq and for crash, essentials in events, etc. You know, because we'll design the game around trying to get you to roster every character and then tell you that you can't have them
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    pheregas wrote:
    Kind of disagree. You need that new 4* immediately because they will be essential in the very next PVE. And brand new characters are not immediately available via LT.

eh, you can get through the next PVE without the required 4 star. Certainly less pressure to make top 10! Will probably change some people's calculus.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    TimGunn wrote:
    pheregas wrote:

eh, you can get through the next PVE without the required 4 star. Certainly less pressure to make top 10! Will probably change some people's calculus.

Yes. You can do it. But you'll also lose out on 10xp, a CP, and a bunch of iso every single day of the event. Not to mention, you probably won't have the points to be in a t100 alliance.

And it'll be a heck of a lot more work.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing is you need just one cover for next pve. That's why top100 is enough. No point dying to get top10. The covers will come soon enough.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I don't think character releases are going to be any less competitive. Plenty of ways to obtain four stars have been introduced during the last year and a half and character release competition has only increased.