4* memories.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm still in 3* land having some 20+ characters champed, and is starting to collect a few 4* covers now. Im at day 155 and SHIELD rank 51. My most covered 4* is Spider Woman at 7 covers. Red Hulk and Thing are both at 5. Luke Cage at 4.

Do you remember when you champed your first 4*?
Who was it? Which 4* characters were you most anticipated to get going?

Did you feel a huge gap in progress speed when you went from 3* building to 4* building?
Which was more fun?

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first 4* champ was early last year. It was IMHB. I did cheat a little and purchased his last cover with the Boxing Day sale. It was definitely a huge difference back then. Granted I did not have Jean to pair with him but iron fist served as a fastanstic substitute. It was what enabled me to step into pvp.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I remember, because it only happened recently. I champed my Red Hulk after the latest Civil War event (before that, he was 1/4/5). Had to buy a red cover with CP, but I wasn't using those points anyways.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    My first champed 4* was IMHB on 400+ day. Now i have 15 champed 4* (day 752). With current ISO flow (with VIP) i can afford to champ 1 character from 70 -> 270 in 14 days period.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    My first champed 4* was Peggy and it helped me a MASSIVE amount. I went from struggling with some of the harder nodes and to get to 900 in PVP to not having too much trouble. My 3rd champ was Iceman and pairing him with IM40 and Peggy has been a game changer for me. I very rarely struggle to get to 900 in PVP now and blow through PVE typically only using 3 - 4 health packs for 4 clears. Its funny because it took me almost a year to get my first 4* and then within the last 2 months or so I champed another 12 or so with another 6 or so 3 or less covers away from max covers.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    my first was thoress, happened around xmas of last year (2016). The gap between champing 3's and champing 4's was huuuuge. I had all my 3's champed before I ever got 13 covers for any 4*. Because of this, I had nothing to spend ISO on, so I had over 1 million saved up... the longer I went without anything to spend ISO on, the more burnt I felt.

However, once I did that, life has been drastically different. 2 months in, I have 7 champs (iceman, teen jean, Cho, ant man, thoress, 4clops, flaptain). I used to be cover poor, but now I am ISO poor. I have Fury, Elektra with 13 covers but in no rush. I have RHulk and 4Pun sitting at 12 covers (and I picked 3thor as my bonus hero, so his champ level will soon spit out my 13th RHulk). Peggy is at 11 covers but selected as my 4* bonus character.

On the flip side, I have now a lot of wasted 4* characters on my vine. Because I have gotten a lot of 4*, I have a few with 5 of a specific color. I actually have 11 4* covers dying on my vine right now, so that's a new source of frustration. Overall though, the burnout has subsided thanks to actual progress. Once the ball gets rolling, it is easier to maintain... just stinks that it becomes another cyclical part of the game. Have 1 4* champed to start earning more 4* champs... so the challenge becomes breaking through that wall.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, here's my story if you want to hear it. I've played since the beginning (Nov 2013) but I've quit several times only to come back again and again. I'm on day 632 now out of a possible 1190 days. I was around day 480 when I got 20 x 3* champs, which means that you're progressing much faster than I did, but it also shows how it is much easier to build the 3* tier in the current game. Back in 2014, building the 3* tier was as slow as building the 4* tier now. When I started to champ my 4*s, I still wasn't done champing my 3*s. But to answer your question about 4* champs....

I got my first 4* Champ around day 540, which was Nick Fury and I started using him in PvP, which had an immediate effect because I got attacked less than before (even though he's a mediocre 4*). My next champ was Invisible Woman, and she was great after her power upgrade. Team invisibility and strong protect tiles is under-appreciated. My 3rd 4* champ was Star Lord and he rocks! He's a killer against goons and annoying to fight against in PvP. Then came champs: XFW, Thoress and Rhulk. Thoress, Rhulk and IM40 is a killer combo and can take down almost any team.

So, in the space of 3 months, I went from 0 -> 6 x 4* Champs, which dramatically improved my gameplay. Yes, I experienced increased enemy scaling in PvE, but I could still handle it. The biggest difference was in PvP because I could go up to 650 points without using shields and the Shield Simulator was also easier because I got attacked less when using a 4* team. The end result is that I could get the same rewards with less time spent in the game, and I think all of us want to spend less time in the game.

Here's a little advice though: incrementally level up your 4*s as you get more covers for them, so when you finally get that 13th cover, you don't need 350K+ ISO to champ them. I park my 4*s at different levels based on their number of covers (levels 150, 200, 240, 270).
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    I find this too funny not to share:
    My first 4* champ was Cyclops...less than a week later (I think) he was nerfed.
    My 2nd 4* champ was Carnage...the next day they rolled out Bonus Heroes.

If anyone would like to make suggestions on who I should NOT champ at the 4* level, based on my luck, feel free!

icon_lol.gif
  • bbigler
    tgibbs40 wrote:

If anyone would like to make suggestions on who I should NOT champ at the 4* level, based on my luck, feel free!

icon_lol.gif

how was Cyclops nerfed?
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    My first 4* champ was Hulkbuster, champed from the 3 covers my alliance won in the first Civil War event! At the time I was trying to level my top tier 4*s to 220, thinking that when they were all covered I'd raise a few of them together for balance.
    But then getting Hulkbuster max covered with two extras was too good to pass up, so he left the others in the dust.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    First was Jean Grey. She had a 9-level head start because for some reason I used to get tons of her covers and had rostered a dupe. I had never even leveled a 3* to 166 up to that point so I basically used her for everything for a solid 3 months because she was ULTIMATE GOD MODE.

Champing 4s was a huge slog for the first few months - once you get 15-20 champed you will usually have at least one of the boosts champed which makes it a lot better.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:
    tgibbs40 wrote:

icon_lol.gif

how was Cyclops nerfed?

probably referring to the change in how characters interact with Team-Up Tiles.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    My first was Nick Fury. His covers seemed to gravitate towards me; I remember pulling two in a row at one point. (And this was before Legendary Tokens!). They're still coming - he's my most-covered champion at 275.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Mine was Spider Gwen last month, day 215ish. Her, 3* spiderman and im40 are able to beat much higher teams in simulator.
    get 6 yellow
    throw purple to stun 2 for 2 turns
    throw blue to stun the other for 3 turns
    Cherry bomb them while stunned until they die. not the fastest, but takes little damage.

I have since champed 2 more: Hulkbuster and Deadpool. they don't play well together unfortunately.
    I just fully covered Cyclops, and am just gathering the iso. (at level 229)
  • bbigler
    DFiPL wrote:
    bbigler wrote:
    tgibbs40 wrote:

icon_lol.gif

how was Cyclops nerfed?

probably referring to the change in how characters interact with Team-Up Tiles.

Only his Red power would be affected in limiting the single tile to choose to destroy, which seems like a very little difference. So, I wouldn't call that nerfed.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Iron Man (Hulkbuster). He was also boosted the same week, so I used him to score like top 900 in 2 PvP events. I was surprised how easy it was.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyclops, but it was during the valentines day pvp, so no 900's for me. unless i fought strings of battles worth 4-9 points from 600 up.

The gap got bigger multiple times while I started going after 4s.

first the releases got ramped up from every month/few months to bi weekly
    Champing didn't exist when I started and I only earned the 4's i got from release events from bracket sniping.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Day 766 here. My first was Thor, but i dont remember when. it was sometime last year.

since then, it has been Jean Grey, XFW, Rulk, Elektra, Nick Fury, Deadpool, Cyke, Kingpin, Chulk, Ghost Rider, and IW (next is probably Jessica Drew or Mr. F since they are the next fully covered 4's)

its definitely picked up. mostly these are from Classic CP pulls or progression from PVE. i dont get top whatever in PVE to get 4* covers because i cant be bothered to play optimally. PVP is just not fun for me.

i remember using her all the time with IM40. now only when i need to stun lock someone forever.

I think with the most recent changes, 4* are a lot easier to obtain, but i had been in the 3* to 4* transition for so long, i almost dont remember what it was like before that.

there was a time where i had "quit" because it didnt seem fun anymore. i trolled the forums and came back when Clearance levels were announced and that was when i finally champed all my 3*'s (i dont think i ever had so much ISO, wonder if i ever will again...)
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    My first 3 in order: venom, flaptain, DD.

But yeah at the beginning it's hard to get any 4* covers, then they flood all over the place and you have to halt the pulling until you damage control..

That being said it might be easier now to max cover a character with the limited vault (more so if you set one of them as your bonus).
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first champed 4* characters were Hulkbuster and Professor X, and I champed both simultaneously with the awarded ISO they gave when they introduced the SCL system. My first playable 4*, however, was X-Force Wolverine. I had him at like 8 covers back when he was still one of only three 4* characters available. I immediately put ISO into him and brought him up to lvl 170. This was before I even had all of my 3* characters and the highest level was maybe 120. Needless to say, this screwed my scaling and made playing difficult for a while until I maxed and champed (when they introduced that) a few 3* characters.