Bonus Heroes: Pros and Cons

2»

Comments

• Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    The fact that other than via progression I will never see covers for certain 4stars I never want to champ, and therefore, never need to invest the ISO is a big bonus.

I do completely get that knowing this earlier would have stopped people championing characters that they will now not see covers in tokens for... and I do sympathise with them on that.

However, I can chose the old characters to focus on, and can more easily cover the newer characters as they cycle in to the legendary tokens... so this is a win.... and the fact I can more easily get covers for older 5* that I cant be bothered to open classic tokens for is also a win...

But I think I might just be in the sweet spot for this change icon_e_smile.gif
  • Ezrius wrote:
    So is it in a players best interest to favorite a few of the best older four stars that they're working on trying to get covered, or favorite just 1-2 until that one is covered and ignore the rest until they're finished. Obviously as a new system there's not a lot of data but I'm curious about people's thoughts.

I've been taking a bit of a break as of late and just meeting my alliance's very lax requirements, but I went a little ham and favorited icon_wolverine.png and icon_greengoblin.png in 5-star land, then icon_jeangrey.png , icon_iceman.png , icon_cyclops.png , icon_peggycarter.png , icon_redhulk.png , and icon_ironman.png as 4-stars. I should probably trim that down to focus-fire, right? I favorited Thanos_Icon.png and icon_doctoroctopus.png as my only unchampioned 3-stars, but are people just favoriting 3-stars with the best champ rewards?

Very unsure how I feel about this change, but we'll wait and see. The whole reason I took a break was over the grind of trying to get through the 4-star transition was getting to me, and I can't really decide if this helps or hurts more.

You'll be able to champ faster if you focus on just one.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    But what about our HulkBuster? This is where the bonus character comes in – on any pull, you have a 5% chance of triggering your bonus. This means the odds of triggering your 4* bonus character are 5% * 7% - or about 3.5/10ths of a percent.
    Slight correction to the bolded section (this info from Anthony (dev) was edited into Brigby's post, so some might have missed it) .

On any [Heroic token] pull, the odds of getting a bonus hero depend on what star level that pull is:
    2* : 0%
    3* : 17%
    4* : 17%

So, if you pull a 3* or a 4*, you'll get a matching bonus cover about 1 out of 6 times. The total odds on all pulls works out to 5%, so your math is correct overall - I just wanted to point out that subtlety.

Also, he cited a distribution of 71%/23%/6% for 2/3/4 stars.

EDIT - upon re-reading your post, it appears that your math is actually not correct after all. That hulkbuster cover should be there 6% × 17% = 1.02%, not 0.3% of the time.

You've misunderstood their post.

How was it misunderstood? I read it like MarkersMake.

[Edit] I waffled back and forth, but right now I think MarkersMake is right. The main post from Brigby has this quote from Anthony:
    When you multiply the chance to get a cover of that rarity with the chance to get a Bonus Hero, you get the [percent] chance to get a Bonus Hero from any one pull from a Heroic pack (~4% for 3-Stars and ~1% for 4-Stars).
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Gmax101 wrote:
    The fact that other than via progression I will never see covers for certain 4stars I never want to champ, and therefore, never need to invest the ISO is a big bonus.

I do completely get that knowing this earlier would have stopped people championing characters that they will now not see covers in tokens for... and I do sympathise with them on that.

However, I can chose the old characters to focus on, and can more easily cover the newer characters as they cycle in to the legendary tokens... so this is a win.... and the fact I can more easily get covers for older 5* that I cant be bothered to open classic tokens for is also a win...

But I think I might just be in the sweet spot for this change icon_e_smile.gif

People keep saying that having the ability to get more covers for older 5*s is a big positive, but it's just such a marginal increase. You have a 5% chance to get a bonus 5* after only having a 15% chance of getting a 5* to begin with. So, now I have a 0.75% chance of acquiring an extra 5*! I'd need 133 pulls to get ONE classic 5*. Not gonna do the exact math, but high players can likely generate 1 pull per day, so I'll now be able to get ONE Classic 5* every 4.5mos!!!! My 1/0/2 GG or 0/0/0 BSS or even 5/2/0 SS are thrilled to be completed in 2028!!!! Thanks for solving the Classic 5* dilution D3!!!!!!! If you loved RNG before, now you have even more of it.

And, put me in the camp of being annoyed that now I have to champ all the mediocre 4*s within "newest 12" or risk wasting covers. And, definitely slows down champed 4*s rewards.

The whole vault thing just doesn't make sense. It didn't need to happen. Just add the BONUS HERO feature and don't change anything else.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Pros: Lets you influence what you get from tokens
    Currently 2 top tier characters (Peggy and Carol) are in the last 12
    Lets you cover new characters quicker
    Lets you possibly get 2 covers in one pull
    Bad characters can disappear

Cons: 31/43 72% of characters are locked behind RNG
    If the last 12 are not good, this whole thing is ruined
    You could cover new characters too quickly
    You could have dry spells on bonus heroes

My main concern is that the vaulting is permanent after they are the 13th latest character. There is no way to cycle back in to token rotation. I recently was opening tokens hoping/expecting for mostly champion levels. It helped me get resources without increasing my iso demands, so I loved it. Now those rewards are gone; I am going to favorite the best low covered characters one at a time, as that is the way to utilize the system best. My iso demands will pretty quickly increase on the last 12 characters, so hoarding will become much more incentivized. My champed Peggy will drop out of rotation soon, but a new champ that I wasn't expecting might become available

To me, they tried to address a few complaints: the pool is diluted, it takes too long to cover new characters, I keep getting characters I don't want, it relies on RNG too much. This does a decent job addressing these issues, except now RNG is even more of a concern. Overall there are some good ideas, but they did a little too much. Why 12 characters in the pool? Would bonus heroes have worked without vaulting?

Granted this feature is new and I have opened 1 latest and didn't get a bonus, so I have not experienced it yet, but my possible fixes:
    Increase the pool to 20 like the 3*, rotate the others at devs discretion
    Increase the pool to 20 and we pick the other 8
    Increase the pool to latest 12 plus all champs
    Have DDQ give out the 4*s, increasing the progress on old characters, leave the latest 12 as is
    Have a free daily token on the limited 4 star vaults and cycle them more quickly.
    Put latest 12 in the latest, the rest in classics
    Put all characters back in the pool and just have bonus heroes
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The dry spell on bonuses is the biggest concern.

if 5 percent were good enough to fully cover characters, we'd all be sitting around with the latest 5's chilling on our rosters champed.

But notice that not only didn't happen, but players became unhappy with something being strictly gated by rng.

Hm now it's double rng for access to classic characters.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Eddiemon wrote:
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    For those like myself, who have most of the older 4*s covered, were in a good place.

3* champ rewards for 4* covers just became a lot more significant.

I shudder to think how newer players will handle this.

A newer player can build a Hulkbuster or an Iceman or anyone else they like faster under this system than under the old one.

While being able to get one of the new 4*s to max faster than they could under the old system.

Instead of buying slots and hanging onto 35 half covered 4 starts a new player will need a lot less slots while they progress quicker.

This is true, but since you'll be focusing on a single character your general tier progression will be much slower as you won't be pulling any other old four star covers you still need. This wouldn't matter much if the game didn't have required characters.
  • They needed to do something about the dilution of characters. I wish they'd done the bonus hero idea without changing the other pull mechanics - best of both worlds that way.

(This was totally my idea and not monstermike's. Monstermike gets no credit and/or chicks as a result of this post)

Can I get one? Maybe?