Tokens with *only* favourite heroes

Options
Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
Bonus heroes has had some discussion. I have an alternative that will never, ever, happen, but as a karma-**** I thought I'd put it out there. And apologies if someone's already posted it somewhere.

Numbers have been changed and simplified to protect the innocent.

Instead of a heroic token having:
75% chance of 2* (with 0% chance of a bonus hero)
23% chance of 3* (with 5% chance of a bonus hero from your list of favourites)
2% chance of 4* (with 5% chance of a bonus hero from your list of favourites)

It's replaced with:
75% chance of 2*
23% chance of 3* from your list of favourites
2% chance of 4* from your list of favourites

The same kind of thing applies to legendary. If you get a 4* it's from your list of favourites.

Can anyone see anything that wouldn't work with that? Personally I'd throw money at 10-packs if I knew that if I got a 4* it would be the Captain Marvel I need to get her to 13 covers, and even if it was the 6th cover of a colour, there's a better than 0.01% chance that the next one won't be.

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think they'd need to implement a way to make sure you have x amount of favorite characters. Like they can't give you a high percentage of one specific character. Besides that (like if they autofill up to a certain amount)... Then maybe they'd attempt that eventually
  • Moon Roach
    Options
    I don't believe that there's a need for a minimum number of favourites. I want my next 4* cover from tokens to be BagLady because she's at level 279 and one more gets me a legendary, or Wasp because she's at 4/4/4 and I want to champion her, or...

It's about control. It's about as close as you're going to get to a colourless cover. Have OML at 2/5/5 as your only 5* favourite and when you get a 5* it's him. Get yet another red? Don't worry, you've got 14 days of 5% chance that you'll get that black with a legendary. That's way better odds than we have currently.

I agree that this won't be implemented. I think it's a shame, because I think it solves a lot of MPQ roster problems, as well as curing cancer and bringing about world peace.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like it. But, yes, it does open up the possibility that you just favorite one character, and just buy that. Although, with as many characters as we have now, perhaps that is the major shakeup the game needs.

An alternate compromise I proposed would be a token containing only characters you don't have at 13.
  • Moon Roach
    Options
    Here's an economic argument for, which will be the final nail in the coffin, even more so than the thread being moved to the sub-forum of desolation.

If you have a 2/5/5 4* Wolverine, and have a black dying on the vine, your options are severely limited. You can spend 120 CP to buy that green cover, leading to a champion X-Force and a legendary token. Or sell the black for 1000 ISO.

With this idea, instead you spend 20 CP to buy a classic legendary with X-Force being your only 4* favourite. You have a 1/3 * 85% chance of getting a green, i.e. a 71%+ chance of not getting a green. Over the 6 tokens you can pull for the cost of buying the cover outright, that's a 13%+ chance of not getting a green, or an 86%+ chance of getting at least one green. You could be lucky and get the green first pull.

Any other 4* are more X-Force covers to sell or use for champion levels. Any 5* are whatever is your only favourite 5*.

Moot point anyway, and although I think this idea clearly merits a Nobel Prize, it shall instead fall into this abyss of neglect, and shall die alone, unmourned, and unloved.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What about replacing the 3,4, and 5* covers in the daily rewards with 3,4, or 5* favourite character pulls? That day 44 Doom is gonna look just as useless as the day 845 Ice man to someone with neither as of today.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The problem I see with this idea is that, if it was implemented, everybody and his uncle Logan would have a champed Peggy, Rulk, Iceman, Thoress, and Hulkbuster in two shakes of Devil Dino's tail and their revenue would take a severe hit.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 wrote:
    The problem I see with this idea is that, if it was implemented, everybody and his uncle Logan would have a champed Peggy, Rulk, Iceman, Thoress, and Hulkbuster in two shakes of Devil Dino's tail and their revenue would take a severe hit.

Well, yes. The fact that some characters at a particular rarity are wildly more desirable for game-play reasons than others is an issue that won't likely be solved by simply giving players wildly easier access to them. I mean, that would solve the players' perceived problem of not having those characters, sure. But it would not improve the metagame situation much. Part of the reason we DON'T have to fight a Red Hulk every single time is because not everyone has been able to get one.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see the Bonus Token as an SCL9 item. Place it up between the Rare and Legendary in progress, and add to top 50 rewards (PVE)/top 25 (PVP). Put it at 75% rare, 20% Legendary, and 5% Epic for the bonus heroes you selected (giving random at those rates if you didn't select something of course). Unbuyable, only earned, like the Epic tokens, should keep it from being too good, even with those rates, and be far more enticing to choose that SCL than a handful of extra ISO.