What is Proper Amount of Notice for a Major Change?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Note to mods: this is not intended as a discussion of the bonus hero system. There is a thread for that already. This is a meta-discussion that i think merits its own thread.

Like it or not, Bonus Heroes is live now and it's a pretty massive massive change to the game's economy.

Not counting a few help messages that slipped out last week. Players on the forums got about 3 hours' prior notice of this change.

In my opinion players should have much more notice of any change of this scale. At least a week, and preferably more. Such notice (1) allows players to trouble shoot potential problems with the change, and will allow demi/d3 to answer the first round of faqs in advance of the go-live confusion, and (2) allow players to make rational, informed choices about using or saving their hoarded resources (always a huge deal when players are heavily invested in an inherently changeable digital economy).

How much time do you think is appropriate?

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I was unfortunate enough to open my February token hoard before this was announced. Some advance notice would have been appreciated like when the increase in 4* draw rates was trailed back in the day.

I'm sure there are some cases where no notice is preferable but I'm struggling to think what they would be (maybe that fix for the token exploit). Personally I would always prefer to know what's upcoming. A big part of the game is resource management so knowing in advance what sort of changes are coming helps you to make better decisions about those resources (case in point: me, earlier today).
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    1 day seems reasonable. No matter how much notice is given there will be some subset of the forum that will think that it is too little notice. Post things too early and by the time they release anything the newness of the feature isn't really all that new anymore.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    No. Like it or not, a "this is coming" post gives an unfair advantage to forum readers. Also, even then some poor sap will have just opened their stash right before. Instead of the sob stories, let's just utilize the new feature and say thanks for the bonus covers.

Note- I just pulled 70 classics about a week ago. I regret nothing.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I've been hoarding since November. I regret not opening it now that champ levels for older 4's are essentially dead. Had they even given us a days notice with some Q&A I would've opened it. I now get to look forward to saving another million tinykitty iso so as not to waste covers on the newest 4's. 5% chance after you pull a gold is garbage, yet everyone is praising the heck out of it so far. Sigh.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    From the video they mention maybe some over powered characters. I'd like them to name them because if I use this bonus system to finally get Iceman (as my only way) done and then you nerf him I would be completely frustrated.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    They could have warned us that we should stock up on lube at least...
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
    I may be a special case, but I used to hoard all the time. I've never been really upset at this game, just disappointed in some things. But the face that I opened 51 Latest Legends and 5 Purple Reign tokens on MONDAY 2/27 and over 500 Heroic and Event tokens on 2/15 actually makes me pretty tinykitty upset. icon_evil.gif This is my first use of tinykitty on the forum. But I think I'm a little justified.

Two weeks might be a little much to announce a major change, but I kinda feel not? Why don't we get a teaser about BLANK two weeks in advance and then maybe a reminder that something is happening in a couple days or something? A teaser could literally be "We are about to change something with opening tokens. We think you'll like it." Then I won't open tokens yet so I can see what this new thing is!

I know, I know, everyone who opened any amount of tokens since the game started could complain about not knowing this and we are all whiners. But man. 500+ (small) chances to get an extra cover and 55 chances to get an extra LT cover? That's reason to be upset, right?

This is a HUGE change. I guess I'll just stew about this and open my randomly received tokens now. 550... icon_cry.gif
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    changes like this should be done at the start of the season of season just like characters being added to cover packs. and a week notice (today Weds.) like this would be nice, if they change it the start of next season next week (Thurs).

kinda reminds me of when they change hero points cover buys. they announce it weds 10 am, saying it will change later that that same day. so u had to choose to buy covers with hero points or they become less useful. then you do, then right before end of business day they say they will delay it.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    It would be nice to have something of a notice. I am not particularly upset by the lack of one.

I just wished I would have saved my 10-pack from SHIELD. I don't normally open them until after the season, but I did this time. Small loss.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Note to mods: this is not intended as a discussion of the bonus hero system. There is a thread for that already. This is a meta-discussion that i think merits its own thread.

Like it or not, Bonus Heroes is live now and it's a pretty massive massive change to the game's economy.

Not counting a few help messages that slipped out last week. Players on the forums got about 3 hours' prior notice of this change.

In my opinion players should have much more notice of any change of this scale. At least a week, and preferably more. Such notice (1) allows players to trouble shoot potential problems with the change, and will allow demi/d3 to answer the first round of faqs in advance of the go-live confusion, and (2) allow players to make rational, informed choices about using or saving their hoarded resources (always a huge deal when players are heavily invested in an inherently changeable digital economy).

How much time do you think is appropriate?
    Two weeks minimum. We have a two week timer on every cover we acquire and so we should be given two weeks to deal with any major changes like this.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    The correct answer is: It doesn't matter what you think! (The Rock Says...)

They're going to roll out changes however they see fit and don't have any reason to give us advance warning at all.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    This really only destroys hoarders, like that poor person who did 500 pulls or something on Monday. That person got boned.

Most users are unlikely to be hurt by even major changes beyond the ability to recover lost resources quickly. And hoarded tokens don't expire, so the two week rule doesn't really apply.

A couple of days would be nice, but it's not a big deal one way or the other. Mainly, I'd just like to fully understand new changes before I am in a position where I'm using them. That's all.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    xidragonxi wrote:

They're going to roll out changes however they see fit and don't have any reason to give us advance warning at all.

That seems like a pretty foolish opinion to me. Why even have these forums at all if we players should just shut up and deal with everything demi/d3 serve us? We could get all this info via splashscreens in game or marvel.com "interviews."

(Psst: this is sarcasm! Player feedback is good!)
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    xidragonxi wrote:

That seems like a pretty foolish opinion to me. Why even have these forums at all if we players should just shut up and deal with everything demi/d3 serve us? We could get all this info via splashscreens in game or marvel.com "interviews."

Because active communities make games more successful.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Meander wrote:
    No. Like it or not, a "this is coming" post gives an unfair advantage to forum readers.
    Not if it's an in-game announcement.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    More than a day (or zero days), that's for sure.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Why do they not announce a big change like this instead of just making a quick change?

Give a few days for those who hoarded tokens to choose if they prefer to open them now or wait for the new system.

Seems like the decent thing to do.