What are the odds...

Options
DragonSorcerer
DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Can someone who knows the drop rates and is good at maths work out the odds of what happened to me yesterday ...

opened a single KLD booster (450 points prize from the day before), pulled Solemn Recruit (already a duplicate but that's irrelevant for this)

prize for coalition in top 100 : Solemn Recruit

opened a single KLD booster (prize for yesyterdays event), pulled, yes you guessed it, Solemn Recruit

Did I have a better chance of winning the lottery ?

Comments

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm happy to trade one against one of my three Oath of Ajanis. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Schlemoc
    Schlemoc Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I opened a fat pack and drew a dynabolt then a gontis. Id say thats hitting the lottery.

Definitely sympathize since i tend to see the same ones at the same time though. May be limited cards for different things?
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i have one non-exclusive AER rare, and heres the story:

coalition reward for first RatC: quicksmith spy

some prize booster i got from something: quicksmith spy

individual reward for some event: quicksmith spy

coalition reward for RatC2: quicksmith spy

some other booster reward: quicksmith spy.

i still have one non-exclusive AER rare. (of course dupes don't count, and i have SExterpiece and KExterpiece)

the odds of that have to be impressive.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can someone who knows the drop rates and is good at maths work out the odds of what happened to me yesterday ...

opened a single KLD booster (450 points prize from the day before), pulled Solemn Recruit (already a duplicate but that's irrelevant for this)

prize for coalition in top 100 : Solemn Recruit

opened a single KLD booster (prize for yesyterdays event), pulled, yes you guessed it, Solemn Recruit

Did I have a better chance of winning the lottery ?
    If you open an AER rare, then the probability that the next two rares from an AER reward event and a KLD pack will be the same card is: 1 (any AER card) x 1/12 (matching non-exclusive AER) x 1/52 (matching KLD + non-exclusive AER). This is 0.16%; about one in 600.

Framed differently, the probability of the next two (non-exclusive) AER rares you get being the same card as the first one is 1/12 x 1/12, or one in 144.

Framed differently again, combining your good and bad luck (this is less meaningful), the odds of opening an AER rare from a consecutive pack which is the same a rare from your previous pack, and the same as a given AER event reward goes to about 1 in 16,000.

In either case, certainly unlucky, but the probability of winning the jackpot in a lottery is more like one in a hundred million.
    i have one non-exclusive AER rare, and heres the story:

coalition reward for first RatC: quicksmith spy

some prize booster i got from something: quicksmith spy

individual reward for some event: quicksmith spy

coalition reward for RatC2: quicksmith spy

some other booster reward: quicksmith spy.

i still have one non-exclusive AER rare. (of course dupes don't count, and i have SExterpiece and KExterpiece)

the odds of that have to be impressive.
    If you get an AER rare, the probability that the next four (non-exclusive) AER rares you get are the same card is 1 x 1/12 x 1/12 x 1/12 x 1/12, which is about one in 20,000. I would call that impressively unlucky, even though it's still about 5,000 times more likely than winning the lottery.

I think that enough rares have been given out that it's expected that this would have happened to somebody... but that doesn't help the feel-bad when it happens to you.