New player using Nissa and can't progress

Options
JerBear
JerBear Posts: 21
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ Tips & Guides
So I can't progress in Chapter 2, can only get a few wins in events and in QB, so I find myself just grinding the Chapter one stories which i can't even win half the time. I'm trying to grind crystals but I don't really have any good way of doing this now. I don't really have any great Green cards except for one rare. I have been getting mostly black, but the PW that is available for sale now who is black is supposedly a bad one. I also don;t want to continue to waste points leveling up Nissa and want to save them for when i can get a good PW

What the heck do I do here?

Comments

• aenigmaeffect
    aenigmaeffect Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    I've been playing for about 3 months, so I still remember the early days a bit. icon_e_smile.gif

As much most of the fancy PWs are "better", the 50 crystals originals, in my opinion, are still very much worth it at the beginning. This is because having access to all 5 colours allow you to do all the nodes of every event, which in turn get your more packs and crystals.

Go get the 50 crystal Liliana 1 if you have a lot of good black cards. Doing so will allow you to get more points in events, which help you get more crystals and cards, and so on. (You can't build up crystals very well if you only have 1 PW.)

I personally ended up getting all 5 originals early on, and I don't regret it. It also helps you see what strategies can work.

When doing events, try to build your deck to hit the secondary objectives. Think about it this way: winning = 4 points, but getting the secondaries at the same time can get you 4 + 2 + 1 = 7 points. You'll get the full progression rewards that way (and again, you'll need more than 1 PW to hit more nodes).

I also wouldn't focus on getting 1 PW to level 60 right away. Get a few to the 20's will help you get more event points. Having better cards is generally better than having a higher level PW.

Hope this helps!
  • Bubbleworks
    Bubbleworks Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Don't level up all your PWs before you have good cards. I levelled Nissa up way too early and she is pretty much useless in Events for me at the moment. I use the blue and red PW for training grounds and they are both Level5. I win all 4 matches each day (and lose around 8 or 9), but that gives me 15 gold things. The black PW is pretty awesome. She is also level 5 but I got to episode 10 in chapter 1 of the story level with her, and I dont have any good black cards. 

Once you level up your PW the event matches get much harder, but you won't have many good cards. So it seems pointless. I don't spend money (although I may if I keep liking the game), so I have to be patient. I started less than a week ago and basically don't even understand half of the game. But with 2 PWs levelled to 23 and 3 to 5 I got into booster pack range today in the nodes event. 

It's slow going to start with. But I have way more time than money, so I use all games to develop a strategy with the cards and tweak decks. If I play the same chapter over and over in story mode, so what. 100 or 125 mana each time. I currently have a bunch sitting there doing nothing as I need better cards first. Been pulling a lot of duplicates or just not very useful cards. Some could be good, but if you play a level 5 PW a card that costs 16 Mana is way too expensive. I stick with the small ones. Apart from mana generating support cards. 
  • Eglyntine
    Eglyntine Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options

I don't spend money (although I may if I keep liking the game), so I have to be patient. I started less than a week ago and basically don't even understand half of the game.

It's slow going to start with. But I have way more time than money, ...
    Resist spending money. Trust me, it is all fun and unicorns until you spend money. Then you see the flaws inherent in the system and will hate yourself for falling in to the trap.
  • Bubbleworks
    Bubbleworks Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Lol. I had some Google Survey credits and bought some crystals. But not worth it. I made tons of crystals playing story mode this weekend :-)