What great pains have you taken to play MPQ?

Options
I've been having problems with my iTunes account for a few days now, so I haven't been able to update my apps. When the latest version of MPQ came out, I was still able to skip for a few days but today found out that I couldn't even play until I updated. I was going through serious withdrawal, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong! So out of desperation, I deleted the game and re-downloaded MPQ using my mom's account. I'm now currently being beat up in the new Torch event, but at least I'm (mostly) happy!

Still trying to figure out my iTunes problem though, so I can update my other apps. But at least I now have my MPQ~ <3

Comments

• farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Frequent "bathroom trips" to get in some matches and make sure I don't fall behind in long PVE events.

Grinding nodes in the parking lot before heading home so I don't catch hell from wife for playing too much.

Playing right before bed and right after waking up to make sure I don't lose traction in PVP events.

This game is a toxic addiction. Replace the MPQ terms in the sentences above with alcohol terms and I'm a raging alcoholic. But I love it. (And it's cheaper, too.)
  • While this wasn't totally for MPQ (it's also saving us a ton of money), my wife and I started going home at lunch instead of going out to eat, and I'll frequently angle my schedule around MPQ.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    farlus wrote:
    Frequent "bathroom trips" to get in some matches and make sure I don't fall behind in long PVE events.
    At home and at work.
    farlus wrote:
    Grinding nodes in the parking lot before heading home so I don't catch hell from wife for playing too much.
    Add grinding nodes while watching TV. Or while waiting for my wife to take the kid in to daycare. Or while waiting for my wife to get off work. Or while I wait for supper to cook.
    farlus wrote:
    Playing right before bed and right after waking up to make sure I don't lose traction in PVP events.
    Wait for wife to fall asleep, grind nodes.
    farlus wrote:
    This game is a toxic addiction. Replace the MPQ terms in the sentences above with alcohol terms and I'm a raging alcoholic. But I love it. (And it's cheaper, too.)
    As someone who has spent a fair amount of time around addicts, I think this is right up there.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    While this wasn't totally for MPQ (it's also saving us a ton of money), my wife and I started going home at lunch instead of going out to eat, and I'll frequently angle my schedule around MPQ.
    Grind while eating lunch as quickly as possible.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    While this wasn't totally for MPQ (it's also saving us a ton of money), my wife and I started going home at lunch instead of going out to eat, and I'll frequently angle my schedule around MPQ.
    Grind while eating lunch as quickly as possible.

Bite, match, chew, use power, bite, match....
  • farlus wrote:

I feel ya, bud. I play in the bathroom, while eating, wherever I can catch wifi (I play on my iPod), before I go to sleep, when I wake up.

Which only leads to one revelation: MPQ is not a game...it's a lifestyle.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I sat in the back row of a church during a wedding and played. I remember having to contain myself from dropping an F-Bomb when my enemy hit a giant cascade.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    babblefate wrote:
    farlus wrote:

I feel ya, bud. I play in the bathroom, while eating, wherever I can catch wifi (I play on my iPod), before I go to sleep, when I wake up.

Which only leads to one revelation: MPQ is not a game...it's a lifestyle.

I definitely read your list as if it was all at the same time and was super impressed by your multi tasking...
  • My wife now thinks I suffer from a lot of constipation 8)
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    I definitely read your list as if it was all at the same time and was super impressed by your multi tasking...

I'll see how many I can do at once, though convincing my wife that I'm going out to my vehicle to use the restroom is going to be tricky.
  • On my way home from work, standing outside the subway station to finish a game... and two... and an hour gone by...
  • I have basically started to decide where to eat when I have to eat outside based on whether I can charge my phone there or not. There are a couple of places where I'm already pretty friendly with the staff and there's no problem, but sometimes I caught myself thinking I shouldn't go somewhere else because I could kill my battery playing and I realize how bad I have it for this game...

Oh, and I also have to endure annoyed stares from some friends every time I even look at my phone even though they have obsessions of their own icon_lol.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    farlus wrote:
    Yep, a bit of this, though for me, it's more about PvE refresh timing. EST makes PvP schedules convenient

Some more scenarios:

Playing while cooking: chop-chop-chop-chop, match, turn on water, match, turn off water, smash garlic, match, chop-chop-chop-chop, match, stove on, pan on stove, match, stir-stir-stir-fry, match, match...

Playing while playing other videogames, like GTA 5: steal car, align car with road, match, match, dodge another car, match, handbrake-turn, match, exit car, walk into building, match, trigger cinematic, match, match, match...
  • HailMary wrote:
    Playing while cooking: chop-chop-chop-chop, match, turn on water, match, turn off water, smash garlic, match, chop-chop-chop-chop, match, stove on, pan on stove, match, stir-stir-stir-fry, match, match...

Playing while playing other videogames, like GTA 5: steal car, align car with road, match, match, dodge another car, match, handbrake-turn, match, exit car, walk into building, match, trigger cinematic, match, match, match...

That's some pretty impressive multitasking there.

Here's another sign of being too far gone: When I've exhausted my heroes on my iPod, I play the one on my iPhone. When I've exhausted my heroes on my iPhone, I play on Steam.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    I sat in the back row of a church during a wedding and played. I remember having to contain myself from dropping an F-Bomb when my enemy hit a giant cascade.

Lol! I have two weddings this summer, wouldn't have thought to play then because weddings are just...so...riveting... icon_e_confused.gif

I had to have my mom at a hospital for tests at 5:30am (she has cancer) last week and the tourney ended at midnight EST, so I "slept" in the spare bedroom so my alarm wouldn't bother the gf, checking every five to make sure I was still in the top fifty, grinding a node as needed, got maybe 3 hours of sleep, then played the HT tourney while my mom was being scoped. I'm a terrible human.
  • babblefate wrote:
    HailMary wrote:

That's some pretty impressive multitasking there.

Here's another sign of being too far gone: When I've exhausted my heroes on my iPod, I play the one on my iPhone. When I've exhausted my heroes on my iPhone, I play on Steam.

Whats the purpose of having so many accounts? One is more than sufficient? With one account, I have missed out hanging out with friends IRL, taken 20 minute toilet breaks, played while driving (stopped doing that but only while waiting for Red lights), woken up at 5.30am to grind, feigned sickness, etc. I think my list still pales in comparison with a few hardcore players above tho :p
  • Alminah wrote:
    Whats the purpose of having so many accounts? One is more than sufficient? With one account, I have missed out hanging out with friends IRL, taken 20 minute toilet breaks, played while driving (stopped doing that but only while waiting for Red lights), woken up at 5.30am to grind, feigned sickness, etc. I think my list still pales in comparison with a few hardcore players above tho :p

My iPod is attached to my Facebook account. My steam and iPhone are not attached to any accounts. I actually don't really play as much as you'd think I'd play. I just...die a lot :<
  • My wife doesnt mind when I play (it gives her a chance to watch her shows and not have me complain about it) but I did get my father in law addicted and now hes in trouble with his wife
  • I just left patient waiting for 15 minutes or so because I need to push in 3 different events ending at work hour in here icon_e_sad.gif thanksfully no harm done, though I still failed the push icon_e_sad.gif top 200 is disappointing
  • thank god i dont have these problems im just required to wake up 3am to finish a tourney every once in a while and 5am to finis a pve