Remember those team affiliations?

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
There was a time when we all saw the affiliations category in the character descriptions...and got excited. what did it mean? A new feature to bring extra synergy to a whole roster of characters barely used? An explosive new combination which granted untold power?

Actually.... it meant (and still means) very little.

You're missing an opportunity here Devs, you've coded that info in don't waste it. Lets start introducing bonuses for having good 'chemistry' on your teams. AP bonuses damage bonuses etc.

Be nice to get some use out of that stuff you spent all that time coding into the game right?

Examples...

Each hero team gets a 10% damage reduction from enemy skills
Each villain team gets a 10% increase in damage from their own skills.
Use Team X-Men and gain 2AP at start of match
Spider-Man and his amazing friends - Start match with 4 web tiles on the board
Team Wolverine - Start match with 4 strikes on the board.
ThinkTank (3 genius characters) - Automatic buffing of any special tiles on board

I could go on and on and on. This is something which would shake up teams and make experimenting fun.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't wait for Dark Avengers team bonus: "All AP costs reduced by 2" icon_lol.gif

Agreed. Affiliations feels like an incomplete feature. It starts with Ghostrider then slightly expanded to Mr. Fantastic and Civil War then nothing. Not sure if you played the game in the beginning but there used to be special Damage Boosts such as "+20% damage to Mutants".. I was hoping the affiliations would bring that back.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't wait for Dark Avengers team bonus: "All AP costs reduced by 2" icon_lol.gif

Agreed. Affiliations feels like an incomplete feature. It starts with Ghostrider then slightly expanded to Mr. Fantastic and Civil War then nothing. Not sure if you played the game in the beginning but there used to be special Damage Boosts such as "+20% damage to Mutants".. I was hoping the affiliations would bring that back.

Wasn't there in the beginning only 1.5 years into my sentence icon_e_biggrin.gif

What you describe is exactly what I'm referring to. Was the old feature abused often enough to remove it?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

Wasn't there in the beginning only 1.5 years into my sentence icon_e_biggrin.gif

What you describe is exactly what I'm referring to. Was the old feature abused often enough to remove it?

I started playing just as they removed it in mid-2014. I have an old grandfathered AP damage boost that's "+20% against Maggia" but I can only use during Thick as Thieves. I save it as a memory. I tried checking the history of announcements but I do not see any indication when or why is was removed.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the puzzle warriors podcast the devs talked about the affiliations issue. Their main point is that the affiliations tag is really for specific powers like GR , Mr. F etc... They specifically said they weren't going to use the system in a more general fashion.

I personally think that they used the underlying code from the old affiliations system (ie. how they id if targets were maggia vs. shield agents vs hammer). Then updated the code to track char affiliations so specific chars could be enabled.

I think the real issue/problem for developing affiliation powers is that they really don't have a good way to test out how game breaking power might become. I could easily for see a sentry bomb scenario developing because some magic combination is developed out of thin air.

The technology to implement affiliation based passives/actives is in the game, but honestly does anyone think they can add more affiliation based powers without introducing complex game breaking combos?
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler

puzzle-quest_2017-02-22-23-15-092441.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Not only mutant, but also x-men......?

I know. I should use boosts more often.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    While we're on the subject of team affiliations, how about a 5-star member of Team Cap? Just a thought...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do, clearly the devs don't.