demiurge - I beg you - help us 4* transitioners

Options
2»

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah I understand this game is some peoples only outlet but multiple hours on a match 3 game a day isn't exactly normal play.

I think an average player hits lower than an hour, if that.

Forumites reaallly need to see themselves as an exception to the norm, not the norm.

The 4 transition still isn't "Easy" by any means.

Some of you are on day 400 and have like 15 champs.

I'm in the range of day 500+ (literally 527 today). (about 4 scattered months in there of just doing DDQ's but that was mostly mid 3 transition, pre-champing, other mobile games too, also generally other fun games.)

I've got 1 4 star champed and that happened maybe a week or so ago. (4 cyc)

I'll play this game an hour a day, 2 hours if im really into the pve event. Typically in that time range per hour.
    Hitting the 575's etc.

the fact that 4's are released at least twice a month basis should give insight into why the transition is still hard.

You know how people complain about 5's going into classic because each one dilutes the chances of old 5's?

That's every single token that you get 4 stars from.
    Heroics are embarrassing.
    It takes over 40 pve's for a character to be a progression reward multiple times.
    PVP isn't an option without 4's.

It's better, but still not great.
    ___
    Anecdotally. It's also still luck based as hell.
    I've had carnage since his launch event.

Mine is 5/0/5.
    Realistically? it's more like 10/0/5
    Hulk buster?
    5/0/3

Saying "hey you're getting a 4 of some sort" is very different from covering a 4.
    There's still no path, just a bunch of rng and one appearing every 40+ pve's.

ISO is inevitable.

If I had every 4 star fully covered, i'd be happy.
    Champing is a bonus not a need.
    Go after who you need to use.
    Soft capping wasn't just to avoid scaling.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not sure what y'all are doing to get 4* so fast but after 3 years I have exactly 2 champed 4* and 1 at 12 covers. The 3 oldest 4* in the game. Short of spending money or playing for hours a day I'm not sure how to speed that up. I shouldn't have to treat MPQ as a second job to make progress, new avenues for gaining 4* covers would be very welcome.
    DFiPL wrote:
    See, here's the thing. There's "spending money" and "spending money." I've spent a few hundred on the game over its lifespan, but that has literally all been purchases of $20 or less, and the vast majority have been $10 or less. I've never whaled a character, and for that reason, even when you could buy covers with HP, my 4* roster still sat undeveloped.

I'm about 5 months behind you, having taken a break when I quit out of pique at some point in the first year. And, yeah, for 2+ years, my 4* roster was pitiful. But I've seen remarkable progress in the last six months, and that's without progression covers in PVP, placement covers in either PVP or PVE, no alliance rewards to boost that progress, and trivial spending from a "pay to win" standpoint. I've got a handful of months' VIP under my belt, and the rest of my spending has gone toward roster spots.

More/new avenues for gaining 4* covers? Absolutely! Bring them on! I'm 100% with you on that. But I don't think "normal" 4* progress is this mystical "how in the world" thing these days.

You're absolutely spot on with this. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in the last few months my acquisition of 4* covers has increased exponentially. But as GurlBYE mentions the problem lies more in the dilution of available covers as more 4* are constantly introduced. I suppose what I'm looking for is a way to get specific covers like TBE did for 3*. It doesn't even need to be daily, just knowing that I don't have to rely on RNG to get the cover I need would be a huge boost.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Saying "hey you're getting a 4 of some sort" is very different from covering a 4.
    There's still no path, just a bunch of rng and one appearing every 40+ pve's.

ISO is inevitable.

If I had every 4 star fully covered, i'd be happy.
    Champing is a bonus not a need.

I don't know how happy I'd be with every 4* fully covered but not enough iso to champ them. Champing is more of a resource management thing then just a bonus bunch of levels. Whether it is because they are 0/0/5 or 5/5/3, nobody wants to cash out a cover for 1000 iso. I would say iso is more of an issue, but even that isn't so bad. Its just been accentuated this week of only gauntlet.

I think the pve progression 4* is what the op was asking for, and we already got it. There are enough ways to get specific covers that you aren't completely at the mercy of luck. A decent number of my champs were covered from 3* champ rewards + boss event progression rewards + resupply. There are also vaults now. And at some point, 120 cp might be worth it. Thats maybe a week of hoarding cp to get a specific cover. My red hulk is 2/5/5 after civil war. I thought about buying that last cover for 120 cp, but checked 3* thor. When he goes up another 10 champ levels I get that last red hulk cover.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LOVED the initial season rewards: 4* came out once every three seasons, and you got one of each cover over the three seasons.

4*'s were -VERY- rare are the time! More rare than 5*'s now!

I think players should once again be able to -earn- (not just be given, but not make it top 5% either....) a 1/1/1 for every new character (regardless of rarity!) from progression rewards in season and/or events. Some of those 4* rewards are already in PVE/PVP progression - get more of them out there for everyone! Opening more SCL's would help this!

And I've said forever as well...does it really hurt you to "give away" (again, progressions so some work required) a 1/1/1 to the entire playerbase? Things this does for you D3....-EVERYONE- has to buy another roster slot, and -EVERYONE- has the opportunity to -SPEND MONEY- (did I get your attention devs?) by buying covers, since now they have one of each color! In fact....isn't there evidence that people are more likely to spend money when they get close to completing a character? And won't they get closer to completing them by getting started?

(Don't get me started again on the ridiculous nature of daily drops for those who have been playing for 1000 days +....another place where this problem could be helped out....)
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm a 900+ days casual player, and yes, I think 4*s covers are still hard to get, specially "specific" ones. I had my 10° 4* maxed recently, but I can only rely on the Daily resuply, PvE progression, 3*s champ rewards, CPs and very luck token pulls (no PvE placement or PvP at all for me), and I think I'm not the only one in this situation.

The funny part is that I don't have ISO problems (2KK+) because I just don't get enough covers for my 4*s... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 4* transition was easy for me with time and patience. There were days where I had to sell characters to make room for other characters, just to compete in the DDQ, or so I could place higher in PVE. In the long run, I made some mistakes that slowed me down, but I learned from them, and now I have a pretty stocked roster. With 15 four star.png champs, I can top 50 almost any PVP and every PVE. I'm happy.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    In fact....isn't there evidence that people are more likely to spend money when they get close to completing a character? And won't they get closer to completing them by getting started?

Although I don't know of any evidence of this I think you're probably right.

The 4* Progression is tough at first because until you get one top tier 4* fully covered and champed then getting targeted covers can be tough since hitting 900 in pvp is pretty much impossible without a decent 4* champ (I tried recently just to check and I didn't make it).

However, once you've got that first top tier 4* champ done the 4* covers come fast enough that covers are suddenly not the problem, iso is the problem. Then when you have about half the tier champed (right about where I am) even that problem goes away and its quite a leisurely stroll since you're no longer rapidly accumulating covers for characters that are cover maxed but miles away from champing...now you're mostly adding champ levels.

So yeah I get where people are coming from but its not bad design that makes ALL transitions tough (except 5* which is absolutely bad design) it's the fact that the difficulty curve is not flat - it plateaus when you champ most of the tier and spikes when you branch into the next.

If you have one or more 4* decent champs and feel progression is slow it's probably because you're not playing enough. Those of this forum who progress fast it's because they hammer every game mode - play more = faster progression: it is intended that way.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    revskip wrote:
    This is hyperbolic. In exactly a year I was able to complete the transition to 4* land and in just 402 days I have 12 champed 4*s and 6 more sitting with maxed covers just waiting for ISO.

The majority of my 4*s are in the 10+ cover range with only the newer ones sitting at 6 or less covers. I almost never hit 900 in PVP (6 times total) usually shooting for the 575 mark and often hitting as high as 725. In PVE I am in a top 100 alliance which helps a lot with 3* covers and gives me an extra new release cover but rarely hit higher than top 20-50. Right now I am so ISO starved that I haven't pulled tokens or CP since December because I get more 4* covers from random heroic and vault pulls than I can possibly level before their covers expire.

Could the 4* transition be quicker sure, but you really are laying it on pretty thick with the 10 year bit.

I do agree that the post was hyperbolic... but at the same time, in my personal experience, your roster is amazing. Maybe it was due to luck, maybe you are better at this game than me, who knows.

I am at day 550. I have 6 champed 4* and I had to personally buy the 13th cover for 4 of them. I have 2 that are fully covered but I would prefer not to pump ISO into right now (Fury and Elektra). I still haven't gotten a Ghost Rider black, but I have gotten somewhere in the 20's of his red (I stopped counting once I hit 22, it got too sad). I also currently have 9 different 4* characters that will die on the vine because they came in as the one color of a specific 4* I could not use, while the other 2 colors are wiiiiide open. I have never placed higher than 30 in any PVE, but I have been able to land in the T100 for all new releases lately and so does my alliance, so I have collected at least 3 of every 4* in the game. The only thing you and I seem to have in common is that we never seem to get to 900 in PVP.

Like I said, maybe you play or strategize better than I do. Maybe RNG has shined favorably on you more often than it does on me. Either way, that's just how the cookie crumbles. But at the very least, please understand that I feel the pain of the OP more than I can relate to your experience. 5 years to really get the 4* roster? Hardly. But every new release makes it harder, that's for sure. I still hold out hope that maybe they will make acquiring 4* just a little bit easier. 2CP a day is not enough to accomplish this, in reality. Maybe make the CoTT every 3 days instead of 5, and make it slightly easier (if that's possible) for lower covered people? I am not saying that you should be able to easily win if you have a single cover, but if I have 5 covers, it should at least be possible. At the moment, that only happened once for me, and that was because I had 4 purple for Miles and I just kept becoming invisible... took forever but it worked.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Day 300 here - firmly in the middle of 4* transition.

All 3* champed (one cover away, and I get that cover in 5 days, so 100%).

3 4* champed, very close to getting another 4 or 5 finished. If I pressed, could finish all by the end of March.

What have I spent: 2-3 months of VIP in total, 1 Stark, and I think 1 smaller buy early. The Stark is huge - getting everyone rostered at that horrible point when you are pulling in covers and can't generate enough HP was absolutely critical to my roster growth. Everything snowballs from there, and with the new DDQ levels, it will accelerate the need for completionism even more unless you want to concede tokens and nodes daily.

My placement is typically t20 PVE, if I try in a non release event I can get t5, but rarely is it worth that much effort. PVP I get about 700/event just playing here and there and one final push to shield at the very end. I play the first four PVE clears pretty promptly as my slice allows it, I do what I can for the end clears - I won't miss them often, but I don't optimally time them unless I'm going for t5. PVP I truly just play at my leisure in the evenings or when I have a few minutes here and there, and can get points quickly.

Do I think 4* transition is hard - yes. I don't have easy access to controlled covers outside of the level 183 3* covers and the single progression cover from PVE. I generate a ton of CP (108/week+champ levels), which is an incredibly thin and imprecise way to build a roster. 3* was so simple because its easy to get a ton of covers fast. 6 covers every time someone is featured in PVE (3 for t20, alliance, 2 from next progression), PVP placement, and DDQ all add up fast.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Felessa wrote:
    I'm a 900+ days casual player, and yes, I think 4*s covers are still hard to get, specially "specific" ones. I had my 10° 4* maxed recently, but I can only rely on the Daily resuply, PvE progression, 3*s champ rewards, CPs and very luck token pulls (no PvE placement or PvP at all for me), and I think I'm not the only one in this situation.

The funny part is that I don't have ISO problems (2KK+) because I just don't get enough covers for my 4*s... icon_rolleyes.gif

There is a mechanic available for specific colors as long as you have at least one of the color. It costs 120 CP.

Now getting stuck with a 5/0/5 is a very different problem.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    revskip wrote:
    Felessa wrote:

There is a mechanic available for specific colors as long as you have at least one of the color. It costs 120 CP.

Yes, I know, and have at least 120cp reserved for when I pull a 6° color from a char with 12 covers, but only in this case. Sadly, it still doesn't help my 2/7/2 Rulk icon_cry.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    revskip wrote:
    Felessa wrote:

Wait until you have that problem in 5*'s. Think it's hard to find a specific 4*, and frustrating to throw it out?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    revskip wrote:
    Felessa wrote:

Wait until you have that problem in 5*'s. Think it's hard to find a specific 4*, and frustrating to throw it out?

Yep. Drawing my first one of those, a 6th Goblin for my 5/1/0, was the single worst experience I've ever had with this game. And of course, he had rotated out of latest legends at that time, so support wouldn't do jack to help me. Any my Goblin is at 5/1/0 to this day, #@$^#$^ dilution. I was holding on for some sort of change. But, with the DDQ overhaul, it seems their answer to RNG garbage is just RNG garbage 5% more frequently. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    22 red Riders? Sweet Christmas.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options