Actual PvP play

Options
DSidey
DSidey Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
I've been playing MTGPQ for more than 2 years. During this whole time I have been waiting with baited breath for the makers to launch actual PvP play. When the events section was added and it said that they would be adding events very soon I thought "This is it! What I've been waiting for." But it didn't launch actual PvP. Then they announced PvP events and I thought "finally!", but it turned out to be PvPdecks with the AI playing.

I know that the producers have worked to make a smart AI, created events that are compelling, boost the computer opponents so that they are very difficult. I appreciate all that.

The truth is though I came to MTGPQ hoping to play against other real players in real time. What money I spend here is not so that I can more thoroughly beat the AI's behind. I drop dollars, gain crystals, and build up PWs in hopes that eventually we will all battle each other.

Presently, PvP MTG isn't happening on iDevices. Not in a real functional manner. The other options out there that have created PvP battling card games do not have interesting art or stories they follow that provide depth.

Why are the developers of MTGPQ waiting? What is the hold up? By all appearances I don't see how this would be any more diffficult than what other deck building games have contrived.

In addition, I've thought for years they were siting on a gold mine if they did go actual PvP.

What are your thoughts on this? Are others waiting? What do the developers have to say about this?

Comments

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There are so, so many problems with actual PvP. let me list a few.

waiting times pre-match while it finds you an opponent
    matchmaking
    connections
    AFK'ers
    matchmaking
    events in general (times, matchmaking etc.)
    timezones
    and those are just off the top of my head. I think real PvP is most definitely NOT what the game needs right now, as it would take up a TON of development time and the rather small player base makes it very unrealistic. while i agree it'd be cool, its not gonna happen anytime soon.
  • DSidey
    Options
    Is the player base too small?

In the current event +13k players have joined. If only half of those actually turned up to play that's 6.5k. If each player only played 30 mins a day (which I consider conservative).

13000/2=6500
    6500/48=roughly 135

That's 135 players every 30 mins playing a game.

If the players that joined the event were only battling for 10 mins a day that would still come to 45 players that will be on at the same time.

That isn't a small base.

In addition, if they created PvP which other card battle apps have done they would attract more players and money.

If they had competitions this would skyrocket. Of course there would be complications, but the player base would swell some and developer's income would rise because it's going to be interesting to people.

It would be in their best interest to do this.
  • Muche
    Muche Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options
    DSidey wrote:
    In the current event +13k players have joined. If only half of those actually turned up to play that's 6.5k. If each player only played 30 mins a day (which I consider conservative).

13000/2=6500
    6500/48=roughly 135

That's 135 players every 30 mins playing a game.

If the players that joined the event were only battling for 10 mins a day that would still come to 45 players that will be on at the same time.
    If one wants to incorporate mastery tiers, that will be 135/4 = 33.75.
    Then there are PW levels (+-5 levels); 33.75/12 ~ 2.8 players to choose from.
  • DSidey
    Options
    Or they could just have 3-4 sections you can choose an individual to play against as they do on MTGO. Those decks with more powerful cards and Walkers are barred from the lower sections. Still putting you at roughly 27 players per a section.

Edit: If the +21k players who have joined the current event only played 10 mins a day that makes about 24 players to a section at any given moment. This is only a conversative estimate.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DSidey wrote:
    I've been playing MTGPQ for more than 2 years.

Game came out in December 2015. Just saying.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nitymp wrote:
    DSidey wrote:

That's what I thought. He must have gotten a bootleg version long before it was available to the rest of us.
  • DSidey
    Options
    Sorin81 wrote:
    Nitymp wrote:
    DSidey wrote:

That's what I thought. He must have gotten a bootleg version long before it was available to the rest of us.

Lol. The aliens got it to me actually. They freaking love this game! ETiPhonehome and heptopodPW have stellar decks. Beat me everytime!

I've played more like a year and a half I guess.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Aliens? Damned extra terrestrials!

Seriously though, the are several problems with incorporating a true PvP mode into the game (see examples above), although it isn't impossible.
    I think it would be more feasible to incorporate a pvp option within coalitions. It would be more of a just for fun/deck testing thing but members within a coalition could challenge each other.
    It's a start anyway, in my opinion.