At how many days played did you first field a 3* team

Options
Ludaa
Ludaa Posts: 542
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm on day 58 currently and feel like i'm spinning my wheels in 2* >>> 3* land. 3* covers are too spread out to do anything with , not to mention their iso requirements. Am I fairing just as well as others?

OBW 85
AWolv 85
MNThor 77 (can go 85 but doesn't seem necessary)
Various others all under 40

3*
Thor 1/3/2 53
Psylocke 2/1/1 30
Doom 3/0 25
DD 1/1/2
GSBW 1/1/1
Hulk 1/1/1
Cap'n 1/1/0
BP 1/2/0
Torch 1/1/0
CMag 0/1/0
Hood 0/0/1
Patch 1/0/0

Comments

• I think i was up around day 80s before I got 3 stars somewhat reasonable. They don't tend to do more damage until 100+ than the lvl 85 2* counterparts. As of late I'm still missing covers to level mine past 110+ with the exception of spidey which I don't find the need to level up due to being purely utility.

It's tough now that there's such a wide range of 3* covers to potentially get from the lottery. Also the iso requirements for 3* is significantly heavier to get them to a point where they're useful.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3306&hilit=roster+snapshot has a thread with a bunch of rosters at various stages of play. My documentation of my progression is probably the most comprehensive one there, so you can take a look at that to see how someone who is really obsessed with the game generally progresses. I was able to get some 3*s cover capped by day 60, but I think that's just because those covers were handed out like candy back in the day: it should be a lot harder now to farm up enough useful 3* covers. I'm just about to get enough covers to covercap Psylocke today, for instance, and that characters been released a month I think.
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm on day 115 (and I suffered from the no daily resupply bug for about 3 weeks, so I'm more like day 130-135) and I still can't field a 3* roster. My highest character is IM40 at 89. I play several hours daily, there's just too many covers out there right now for me to be able to collect enough to get a 3* up to a respectable level. I've only put a few bucks into the game here and there for HP for shields though, so there's that. I have all 28 of my characters except Loki at their soft caps. You're going to hit a wall and it's just going to take time and effort to overcome it.
  • Holy ****. That's a lot of Covers and ISO 80 days in. That's pretty impressive for not buying up HP/ISO to power level the chars.
  • I'm a daily player on day 85. Starting the transition now. I have a Patch, Punisher and soon to be Psylocke with over 10-12 covers each. You need to be opportunistic and place high in PvP. There were a couple PvP tournaments that kept giving Punisher in the Top 10. The week Patch was introduced they were giving his covers away like he had AIDs. I scored at least 8-9 of his covers in the PvE and PvP that introduced him.
  • This is the trick to get out of 2* territory.

You are either gonna need to drop about $20 on some hp or save up a reasonable hp stash and buy some covers.
    Obvious right?
    Trick is you need to be smart about your investment. You pick new covers.
    New covers will be buffed often and made rewards often.
    There's rumor 3* Dakken will release soon. If he is he's a perfect example. Only requires 10 covers to Max.
    Less ISO than other 3*. Will fit on any team.

You use a cover like that with the initial investment and use him to win tourneys for your other covers. With good strategy and maybe 225 hp for shields (not hard to get f2p) it's easy to score high ranks and keep em coming.
    You just gotta get that 1st good cover to start lifting you up.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is the trick to get out of 2* territory.

You are either gonna need to drop about $20 on some hp or save up a reasonable hp stash and buy some covers.
    Obvious right?
    There's rumor 3* Dakken will release soon. If he is he's a perfect example. Only requires 10 covers to Max.

You use a cover like that with the initial investment and use him to win tourneys for your other covers. With good strategy and maybe 225 hp for shields (not hard to get f2p) it's easy to score high ranks and keep em coming.

I don't really agree with this statement. Based off my personal experience, I think it'll take you roughly a month to go from maxed 2* land and able to consistently place in PvP tournaments to being able to complete the 3* transition. For example, black panther was released about a month ago, and enough covers have been offered as PvP/PvE rewards for you to get him up to 4/4/4. As long as you're dedicated enough to place highly in all tournaments that offer a specific 3* cover, you should be good. Now whether you want to spend a month transitioning is up to you, but it's definitely possible to do without spending any money or HP on covers. I'm guessing this is how the majority of the playerbase has transitioned into 3* and how the game was designed for people to do so.
  • This is the trick to get out of 2* territory.

Obvious right?

I don't really agree with this statement. Based off my personal experience, I think it'll take you roughly a month to go from maxed 2* land and able to consistently place in PvP tournaments to being able to complete the 3* transition. For example, black panther was released about a month ago, and enough covers have been offered as PvP/PvE rewards for you to get him up to 4/4/4. As long as you're dedicated enough to place highly in all tournaments that offer a specific 3* cover, you should be good. Now whether you want to spend a month transitioning is up to you, but it's definitely possible to do without spending any money or HP on covers. I'm guessing this is how the majority of the playerbase has transitioned into 3* and how the game was designed for people to do so.

Yeah it's possible. I'm just stating for those people who are feeling like OP is, $20 can go a long way towards your progression in this particular game. My opinion may also be biased because I came up with ragnarok but regardless a 3* spidey or punisher or patch etc etc can be a game changer getting them on your roster.
  • I'm day 120-something I think; I only have one 3* above level 85 (Punisher) although I have a few others I have mostly covercapped which I *could* level above 85 and just don't (IM40, because he's not very good, and Hulk because he shares colours with Punisher and because the one colour I'm short on is black, and Spidey because levelling him higher is unnecessary). I'm sure I've fielded all 3-star teams at some point thanks to boosts in particular events (like lightning rounds), but it's fair to say I'm a long way from having a regular 3* lineup. I was unfortunately sick at one point during TaT and missed a couple of days of subevents so my Patch doesn't have the covers to be worth putting iso into the way a lot of people basically got a functional 3* character purely from that event.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'm an active daily F2P player, and I just leveled a third 3* to L102 yesterday, which was day 80. The 2*->3* transition is fairly long. Your progression speed is quite decent.

Your best bet is to get as many covers as you can for recently released 3* chars, because D3 seems to offer several 1/1/1 sets of covers as event rewards shortly after release. For example, BP and LThor are two of my three newly minted L102s. icon_e_biggrin.gif

It looks like you've got a few covers in all of the newer 3* chars (BP, LThor, Mr.Rogers, Torch), which is great. At least some of them should have covers coming up as event rewards soon. Get those covers.
  • ToryTory
    ToryTory Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm at 113 and about to field my first 3* team. I have Hood at 97, LCap at 77, and my to be GSBW at 23!. Hood has 5 blue, Cap has 5 R/B and GSBW at 4 Green. Getting there slowly but surely.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I need to suck it up and just keep playing. Top 50 and better is within my reach for most everything, except for alliances...don't start an alliance with super casual friends! icon_e_sad.gif
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    You're doing better than me - and I'm over a month further in icon_e_wink.gif

Most of my 3*s are covercapped in the mid-30s to 50s (Punisher I can push up to 69) so I can't see fielding a full team of them for quite a while yet.
  • I was in level 110 3* land at around day 70. Now I'm on day 80 and trying to get a team to 141. Next would be to get a better balanced team.

Although I did spend some money on the game but I also haved leveled boosted characters for the different events.

My money spent is mainly on shields and health packs in order to compete plus a little ISO leveling. I did buy my remaining fathor covers but it didn't feel fun. I want to just play whatever covers I can win from now on.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm at day 60 which is quite similar to the OP. A bit jealous that he has a lvl 85 OBW. Progression would have been so much better for me if only I had it.

Anyway, imo the best way to transition to a 3* roster for a mid tier player at this stage of the game is actually through LR. Especially with the A Wolv and OBW combi which can practically keep going for the entire 1.5hr with minimum to no HP required during that period. Of course that would involve tanking before and after that round. PvP is good but dependent on what is put up as rewards to determine which 3* you can get covers for.

At this stage, my best covered 3* are:

2/4/4 Punisher
    4/1/4 Psylocke (hopefully so when HPK ends)
    3/2/2 Black Panther
  • Shadow wrote:
    I'm at day 60 which is quite similar to the OP. A bit jealous that he has a lvl 85 OBW. Progression would have been so much better for me if only I had it.

Anyway, imo the best way to transition to a 3* roster for a mid tier player at this stage of the game is actually through LR. Especially with the A Wolv and OBW combi which can practically keep going for the entire 1.5hr with minimum to no HP required during that period. Of course that would involve tanking before and after that round. PvP is good but dependent on what is put up as rewards to determine which 3* you can get covers for.

At this stage, my best covered 3* are:

2/4/4 Punisher
    4/1/4 Psylocke (hopefully so when HPK ends)
    3/2/2 Black Panther

I totally agree, that's how I got my cmags and doom, they are both nice 3*s to have around
  • I seem to be on the slow side. Day 112 and I have Psylocke and BP at 89 and punisher at 77.

After Hollowpoint kiss PvP I might get Psylocke over 100.
  • I'm on day 54 and my roster sits as follows:

CStorm 5/5/3 - 85
    MN Thor 3/5/5 - 85
    Ares 4/4/5 - 80
    LazyCap 2/5/2 - 67
    MN Magneto 4/5/4 - 56
    Spider-Man 3/3/2 - 55
    AWolvie 5/3/5 - 53
    IM35 5/5/3 - 50
    MStorm 5/3/5 - 50
    OBW 3/5/5 - 38 (Going to level once Ares is maxed)

I have a multitude of other characters in my roster, just none of them at a notable level, but a few that have a good amount of covers, ie; Patch with 3/5/3 at level 33, Hulk 4/2/4 at 27, Punisher 4/2/3 at 25, and GSBW 2/3/2 at 22.

Basically, I'm kinda where you're at with 3*'s, but I'd rather get my Ares and OBW up to max before I start making a serious transition into 3* land.
  • I see where you guys are coming from, and I understand that placing well in tourneys will net you multiple copies of covers (currently 3 in the hollowpoint PVP). But one thing I have noticed is that instead of a tier of 3 covers (1 of each color) they have dropped it to 2 colors and put the 3rd in the Alliance rewards.

Now I am only around 50 days in, but I thought my first few tourneys i played in, they didn't have the alliance reward tier at all.

Because of the current alliance point structure, you are essentially required to join a 15+ team to get that third cover.

So right now I sit with a soon to be 3/3/0 Psylocke and still no black cover.

I am all for alliance rewards and rewarding teams for solid hard work, I just feel the current model is terrible and P2W. Sure each of your team members must play well, but you autowin just by paying for extra slots in your alliance.
  • Around the first double shot tourney. No idea what day that was, but pretty early.