02/17/2017 - Deckbuilding challenge

Options
2»

Comments

• buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I guess you're not fixing all the OP cards which are destroying the game, then icon_e_sad.gif

However, I guess this announcement does give some hope for future features; maybe block formats and expanded story modes.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    So they are like suggested decks? To help people get a sense of the meta? Or will you be able to earn the cards in these specific decks outside of the normal RNG?

I guess I'll probably have to wait until you reveal the upcoming feature, but the current explanation leaves me wondering what point there is to this.

They're like you said, suggested decks - not necessarily to help people get a sense of the meta, but more of a helpful tool for some players who might find deckbuilding daunting (we know there's a lot!). It's a goal to work towards.
    majincob wrote:
    I'm going to approach it as if the meta is limited to block constructed, so make the deck as powerful for its specific block as possible.

That is also part of the goal. The goal is to make the deck as powerful as you can for it's specific block.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is more fun than I've had in ages.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    majincob wrote:

I'm going to approach it as if the meta is limited to block constructed, so make the deck as powerful for its specific block as possible.

You should, since that is part of the rules of the challenge icon_e_wink.gif
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    majincob wrote:

You should, since that is part of the rules of the challenge icon_e_wink.gif
    The rules only mention that the cards in the deck should be from the same block as the planeswalker. It does not clearly state to assume that the deck will only face other decks which are similarly block-restricted or whether it should be tailored to deal with all the challenges one expects to face in the current meta.

Personally my interpretation is that since these are decks for players to build/aspire towards, they should be built to try to deal with the current top decks (as much as the limitations of the cards in their block will allow).
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see what you're saying. Yeah it would be nice to have an answer to that .
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    This is alot of fun.

Wish we could have block tournaments here as well.
  • Schlemoc
    Schlemoc Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree that block tournaments would be an awesome idea for future event features. It could really change the pace of the game for some decka. Im just torn on which pw im going to try to tackle first.

My take is that these decks will be used in the suggested improvements feature to help newer players construct better decks specific to blocks.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When you say no restrictions on the end game deck, does that mean no set restriction either?
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When you say no restrictions on the end game deck, does that mean no set restriction either?

No. It means no card rarity restriction. The next line says that it must be block restricted.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Options
    Nitymp wrote:

No. It means no card rarity restriction. The next line says that it must be block restricted.

I was hopeful, ah well.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @JC --
    Is there anyway you can provide @Octal9 with the missing info on some of these PW?

I'm sure if you PM him he will provide you his spreadsheet-- or you can PM me and I'll give you a link.

For seasoned players with all maxed PW, we have no idea what the spell / support / creature limits are.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Options
    So this is an upcoming feature where decks will be suggested for newer players, and the cards allowed are only from a certain planeswalkers block... sounds a bit like a block constructed event might be in the works, let the conspiracy theories begin...
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks folks, the contest is now closed!

We'll start looking at the decks you submitted and we'll announce the winners soon!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, I hope @Brigby forgives me not to open a new discussion but to answer to an old thread offering the right context to my question(if not I'll make my own thread! With polls and unicorns!)

@Hibernum_JC / @brigby
    Are there plans for deck building challenges for newer planeswalkers? I really liked the idea! Also, the theme decks for the new planeswalkers are.. well .. Let's say an input by the community would lead to way more effective decks (looking especially at you, Gideons expert deck!)

I understand it won't be possible until all cards of the set are released, but the general context - offering newer players ideas on how to build efficient decks - would benefit a lot.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir
    Since this thread contains useful comments from a developer, I will provide an exception to allow a continuation of this thread.

For those new to this thread though, please note that the game does have a PvP deck format now, so some older comments may not necessarily be relevant or accurate any more.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Each deck winner will have their in-game name proudly displayed in the deck’s description.
    How long do we have to wait before we can call this a lie? It's been 'a couple of months' since you said this...
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Alternative fact.
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well, you know, it's because the UI is so *cluttered*, they can't figure out what to remove to make room for it. Ever since they removed the player count, all the remaining UI items and white space has become essential. Also, they're trying to figure out how to turn all the white space blue.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, thanks for nothing, @shteev, I don't think anything productive will be discussed here anymore.