Something peculiar about placement in Strange Sights

Histamiel
Histamiel Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I have played this event on Slice 1 and SCL8.
I have finished in top 50 in every sub-event but my final placement for the event was in top 200. I went above max progression score.
Did anyone else experience a similar placement shift?

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    It's because there are three sub-events happening simultaneously, instead of the usual one. In each sub, you're presumably competing against about a third of the people in your overall bracket (assuming everyone didn't randomly decide to do them all in the same order). It's actually quite nice: makes sub rewards attainable to more people.
  • Histamiel
    Histamiel Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    stowaway wrote:
    It's because there are three sub-events happening simultaneously, instead of the usual one. In each sub, you're presumably competing against about a third of the people in your overall bracket (assuming everyone didn't randomly decide to do them all in the same order). It's actually quite nice: makes sub rewards attainable to more people.
    You are probably right. I forgot the three sub-event took place in the same time and that maybe the slice didn't get entirely full. I never thought to pay attention to the participants number in each sub-event. Thanks for your input.
  • Devorer
    Devorer Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    yeah, it is diluted by the 3 different sub events.
    I went first in every sub-event but was only second in the overall ranking
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I think this event was quite interesting. Hope there will be more like this.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I did the same slice and clearance level. Finished t10 every sub, but still ended up finishing 14th overall for the event. I was rather pissed.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    i was top 50 in two subs 75 in the third and just squeeked out top 200 overall
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    is it at all possible that something like this happened?

maybe one of the doors is worth more points overall And then, every day that passes, every event is worth more than it would have been a day earlier. So... doing door 1 on day 2 is worth more than doing door 1 on day 1? So there is an ideal path to take. Like if door 1 is worth the most, do it last. That would mean maybe something like day 1 = door 2, day 2= door 3, day 3 = door 1. , That way, you could finish the event as t10 in every sub (meaning you were better than all but 9 other people who did door 2 on day 2), but only t50 in the event because other people did the right path?

I am not saying this is reality, it's just an idea that popped into my head
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your placement didn't shift, so much as the sub events don't accurately reflect your overall placement. If you'd pay attention to the main event, each time you were getting t50 in a sub, you were probably still t200 or so overall. Because in the sub, you're only competing against people that pick that path on that day. But for the overall event, you're also competing against people from the other two paths.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah all it means is that the top players in the subs you didn't pick have more points than the top players in the sub you did pick. It does feel weird to think about but the end result is that you should be able to place the same in the event overall while placing higher in the individual subs. So net gain, I think.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    yup, each sub was not worth the same thus your sub score vs overall score doesn't really track until the end of the event when everyone is done grinding all 3 subs
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I see it, this means I got better sub rewards than I would have otherwise.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I did the same slice and clearance level. Finished t10 every sub, but still ended up finishing 14th overall for the event. I was rather pissed.
    Same issue for me! My sub event placements were 1st, 1st, 3rd; in the end I finished the event on 6th position.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Most everyone selected their events left, middle, right. So competition for those events was much harder than the other nodes. I had a 14th place finish in my node but 48th place overall for first event. I pays not to be a lemming in this event for node rewards but it does make it more difficult to predict your final standing overall.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Now I wonder if I made it easier to place higher in my door bracket by leaving Doombots for the last day. Even if it's a small percentage, there had to be less people willing to go 6/6 or grind to 1 on all the nodes. I may have lost years of my life fighting all those sentries, but extra CP from a higher finish is extra CP.